App Review MSITC Avast Free 2017 backdoor evasion and Windows 10 privilege escalation

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I don't find this test trustworthy because author of video didn't show Avast settings and version of virus definitions. Author could easily change settings to minimal and test with older version of virus definitions so Avast won't detect threats.

Reactions: Wave and Andytay70
W

Wave

at the start of that video... Urm, AVs are reliable if you make sure you treat them as a backup friend and don't think you are invincible. Windows Defender is sufficient for a lot of people as it is on W10 mixed with UAC and SmartScreen.

Plus he didn't do it automatically, he had to enter the password in the prompt. You can't just say majority users will say yes. That's like me posting a video of an bypass which loads a device driver to terminate the AV, but accepting the prompt and saying "But it's ok because majority of users will say yes". Not how it works lol. he could have at least made it seem like it was coming from a genuine installer.

He granted admin rights at that point for the entire thing to work I assume.

I think a random prompt for UAC is suspicious to most?

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Yeah, probably he could have coded the backdoor better, and at least show avast interface

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.