c0ltran3's new config (I'm searching suggestions)

c0ltran3

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2012
System Hardening

EMET 5.1
CryptoPrevent free
UAC maximum
Disabled Skype, webcam and bluetooth drivers
Disabled Autorun
Left HomeGroup

Real time protection

Kaspersky Internet Security 2015
Sandboxie paid
Shadow Defender
Adguard Premium
Norton Connectsafe

On-demand Scanners

Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro, Emsisoft Antimalware Pro, Zemana Antimalware 2, Panda Cloud Cleaner,

Online Scanners: Eset online scanner, Trend Micro Housecall,

Browser:

Waterfox
Chrome

Chrome extensions: Kaspersky Protection, Scriptblock, Flashcontrol, Chromebleed, Privacy Badger,HTTPS Everywhere, WOT, Bitdefender Trafficlight,Avira Browser Safety, VTchromizer, Lastpass pro, Lightshot, MEGA, HD for Youtube, Session Manager, FreshStart, Google Translator

Firefox extensions: Privacy Badger,HTTPS Everywhere, WOT, Bitdefender Trafficlight, Lastpass pro, Google Translator, Awesome Screenshot, Downthemall, Fastefox, Flashblock, Noscript, Youtube HighDefinition. TabMixPlus, Session Manager, Screengrab, Scrapbook

Online Storage:

OneDrive
MEGA
DropBox
Google Drive

Software Updater Sumo portable, Filehippo Appmanager

Utilities: CCleaner, Wise Care 365, Privazer, Auslogics DiskDefrag Pro, Paragorn Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite, Anvir Task Manager free

PDF Reader: Foxit Reader, Adobe Reader, Sumatra PDF

Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2013, LibreOffice

Other Software: Ashampoo Burning Studio 2015, Ashampoo Snap 7, Ashampoo Photo Commander 11

My primary concerns are data theft and financial exploits.Comments and recommendations on my configuration welcome.

Last edited:

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i would remove half of your stuff. looks like you are going on war.
KIS does not need norton conectsafe and a lot of on demand scanners does nothing to you. I would only keep paragon disk and remove everything else but ccleaner. defraglers are not needed.
extentions on the browser are just as crappy as everything else there. lighten up as much as possible

Reactions: c0ltran3

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually remove Avira Browser Safety and Bitdefender Trafficlight.

Optimized combination is your Kaspersky Addon + WOT. ;)

Since you have Shadow Defender and Sandboxie then you should not be infected any time. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello c0ltran3. I enjoyed the ease with which I was able to read your configuration, thanks to your clearly laid out listing! Your front line of Kaspersky, Sandboxie, & Shadow Defender, speak volumes to how you'd rather never be infected again!:p None of us do.:rolleyes:
HTTPS Everywhere, LastPass, & NoScript, are considered the core extensions in our home. As we have Avira Browser Safety installed as an alternate to WOT (it arrived with our Avira! AV) I'll ask: What are your thoughts when comparing the two??o_O

Since you are familiar with Malwarebytes, I'll mention their Anti-Exploit software which you can read more about here:
I've not tried Waterfox, but believe it is a 64 bit browser alternative to plain old vanilla Firefox. How well does it perform?
In Chromium based browsers, we also use Adguard, but only the free extension.

To block 3rd party cookies in Chrome:
  1. From Settings scroll to the bottom >> Show Advanced settings...
  2. Under Privacy choose >> Content Settings... >> Cookies >> mark the box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  • Additionally, I choose "Keep local data only until you quit browser"
*Optional for added privacy: Browse using "Incognito", but only allow those extensions you just can't live without!;)

Thanks for sharing, and for allowing us share with you!!:D

c0ltran3

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2012
Hi thank you all for the answers that allow me to
focus my configuration . I apologize for my poor english.

I thought I could uninstall Avira and TrafficLight. I could also unistall HTTPS Everywhere: is
really useful ?

Reactions: Logethica

c0ltran3

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2012
Hello Cats-4_Owners-2
Waterfox, in my opinion, in the past was lighter
and faster than Firefox. Now seem to me the same thing.

Really Malwarebytes Antiexploit add something? to my configuration? I thought that Kaspersky was enough. It pays to buy
the paid version ?

I can not make the comparison between WOT and Avira because because only recently I use Avira.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Too many extensions. Technically you only really need a ad blocker and perhaps if you so desire a site advisor of some sort.
HTTPS yes it is handy but you can always do it manually.
Not a fan of WOT. Aside from that you already have Kaspersky's module, so perhaps lighten up your addons list quite a bit. Youtube HD extension is not really needed either. All you need is to login into Google and it will remember the last setting used. I watch videos at HD or highest quality when available automatically.

You can keep the collection of On-Demand scanners if you feel like it. Unless you constantly getting infected or performing maintenance, MBAM and HMP is enough to be honest, but that is just me.

CCleaner, Wise Care 365, Privazer: they basically do the same exact thing. Opt for one or 2 and portable versions (CCleaner and Privazer) if you must.

My personal opinion: you have over secured your system. You already have EMET, so just an AV solution and Sandboxie will do. Shadow Defender if you prefer its usage but thats about it, no need for more.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Concerned about Data Theft? Too many extensions.

Browser extensions are pieces of code that run in your web browser. They can do malicious things like display ads, track your browsing, and capture your passwords and private data. A safe extension could automatically update and become malware.​

Please review your Browser Addons/Extensions,

One thing’s for sure: You should exercise caution over the browser extensions you install. If you have 30 extensions installed and never use many of them, you should get rid of as many as possible. Each extension you install increases the odds you’ll have some trouble later. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t install extensions if they’re useful to you, but keep the risks in mind when you do.
Read: http://www.howtogeek.com/188346/why-browser-extensions-can-be-dangerous-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

You additionally have over-lapping security addons, which may conflict or slow down your web experience. There is simply zero need to have Avira, Bitdefender and Kaspersky browser extensions. Most modern browsers have malware and phishing protection built-in, please check your browser settings to see they are enabled. Google Chrome and Internet Explorer can protect against malicious downloads, which is a potential benefit over other web browsers.

Did you know? Bitdefender products have anonymous data collection on by default and you must opt-out, post-installation.

Why the need for multiple PDF readers/editors? An additional security risk, if not kept up-to-date. You could save some bandwidth and time, by using only one or using the built-in browser versions which allow for Viewing, Saving and Printing. Advanced features may only be available in other versions.

Chrome extensions: Kaspersky Protection, Scriptblock, Flashcontrol, Chromebleed, Privacy Badger,HTTPS Everywhere, WOT, Bitdefender Trafficlight,Avira Browser Safety, VTchromizer, Lastpass pro, Lightshot, MEGA, HD for Youtube, Session Manager, FreshStart, Google Translator

Permissions for HD for Youtube and Lightshot
upload_2015-2-2_16-58-17.png
upload_2015-2-2_16-58-38.png

Why not using the Snipping Tool in Windows, or change Video Quality on Youtube?
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/91449?hl=en

ChromeBleed - "Indicates which sites are still affected by Heartbleed bug"
upload_2015-2-2_17-10-14.png

Free and Premium users of LastPass can perform a free security check either using the Security Challenge or manual scan here, https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/

LastPass offers more than ChromeBleed,
LastPass users can do this by running the Security Check tool from their icon menu. LastPass will not only alert you to which sites are vulnerable, but also tell you the last time you updated your password for the site, when that site last updated their certificates and what action we recommend taking at this time.
Based on my views and opinion, your config is borderline paranoia with possible privacy and security implications. Remember less is more, otherwise.. "Win a Free Car! Just enter your Name, Address, Credit Card details, Security PIN and answer for your Security question."

M

MalwareT

For backup AOMEI is the best,i would remove Paragon. For addons i will choose just LastPass and AdGuard anf discard another :)

c0ltran3

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 13, 2012
I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed Comodo Internet Security moving in real time Emsisoft Antimalware paid .

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.