Serious Discussion openSUSE Tumbleweed with Xen Hypervisor

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Just wondering if there are folk with any experience running openSUSE as a dedicated VM machine?

Trying to setup a Qubes box but, because of old hardware, I lack the required Intel Vtx simulation.

According to the docs, Qubes will run on Xen, but I can't get openSUSE to boot into Xen mode.

Any help appreciated...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, there are people who have experience running openSUSE as a dedicated VM machine. While I don't have specific information about running openSUSE with Qubes on Xen, I can provide some general guidance that might help you troubleshoot the issue.

First, ensure that your hardware supports virtualization and that it is enabled in the BIOS settings. Without Intel VT-x or AMD-V support, you won't be able to run virtual machines with hardware-assisted virtualization.

Next, make sure you have installed the necessary Xen packages on your openSUSE system. You can use the package manager (zypper) to install the required packages. The package names might vary slightly depending on your openSUSE version, but you can search for Xen-related packages using the following command:

```
sudo zypper search xen
```

Once you have installed the Xen packages, you should be able to boot into Xen mode. During the boot process, you might need to select the Xen kernel from the boot menu. If you don't see the Xen kernel option, it's possible that the Xen packages were not installed correctly or that there is a configuration issue.

To further troubleshoot the problem, you can check the system logs for any error messages related to Xen. The logs are typically located in the /var/log directory. Look for files like xen-xend.log or xen-qemu-dm-<domain>.log and examine them for any error messages that might indicate the cause of the boot failure.

If you are still encountering issues, I recommend reaching out to the openSUSE community forums or the Qubes community forums for more specific assistance. They will have more expertise in troubleshooting openSUSE with Xen and might be able to provide more targeted guidance.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your setup!

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Yup, done all that, except looking at the logs, good idea.

I have Westmere Xeon CPU's which can, apparently, run virtualsation even though they dont have VT-x.

I'll hit the forums... God I hate being a 'noob' on those things.

Reactions: LennyFox

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just wondering if there are folk with any experience running openSUSE as a dedicated VM machine?

Trying to setup a Qubes box but, because of old hardware, I lack the required Intel Vtx simulation.

According to the docs, Qubes will run on Xen, but I can't get openSUSE to boot into Xen mode.

Any help appreciated...
sorry above my pay-grade. I'm debating getting a new motherboard & cpu for this box, or buy a new pc this year, and put Qubes on this hardware. I ran into a snafu with Virtualbox for Whonix last night. More annoying than serious. If openSUSE has an iso I can probably install it on VMware Workstation 16.2.5... :unsure: Briefly what's "benefit" of openSUSE?

Last edited:
Reactions: LennyFox

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
I have Westmere Xeon CPU's which can, apparently, run virtualsation even though they dont have VT-x.

I'll hit the forums... God I hate being a 'noob' on those things.
Sorry, dont have experience with it, but you say multiple CPU's as in a dual cpu mobo?

I enjoy my patato PC with Linux, but it is indeed annoying that I have to (re)search for things which were easy for me on Windows.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Haha... Briefly? Thought you knew me better than that...

Ummm, from what I've read/watched, most people rate it at least top 5 distro's. I'd never heard of it... but,

I love it. Super configurable, 2,400+ packages available including Proton, Tutanota, Monero, FreeTube ec. etc.

Very snappy UI, easy to install and configure, good docs. I replaced Mint Cinnamon with it and have zero regrets.

Plus, for me(Qubes), you can, supposedly, run it as a virtualisation machine from boot, not VM's on host OS, fully integrated.

If you're considering extra hardware for the project, check-out their system reccomendations.

Great fun...

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...but you say multiple CPU's as in a dual cpu mobo?

2010 Apple MacPro 5,1. 2 x Intel Xeon Westmere 6 Core CPU's. ie. 12 physical cores and 12 virtual cores for 24 threads.

Awesome computers for Linux and super cheap now-a-days.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
2010 Apple MacPro 5,1. 2 x Intel Xeon Westmere 6 Core CPU's. ie. 12 physical cores and 12 virtual cores for 24 threads.

Awesome computers for Linux and super cheap now-a-days.

Great link, I had never considered buying used MacPro, but very interesting, especially at those prices... :unsure:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Yeah, people don't realise the power of them. Industrial Light and Magic used a bunch to animate Toy Story, allegedly.

A$6000.00 new with 6GB RAM in 2010. I got mine for A$500.00(US$250.00), with 2 Radeon GPU cards, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 256GB NVME and 48GB RAM.

Haven't had a chance to really push it yet. Qubes would be ideal I reckon.

PS. They're known in Apple circles as "the cheesegrater Macs"...

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah, people don't realise the power of them. Industrial Light and Magic used a bunch to animate Toy Story, allegedly.

A$6000.00 new with 6GB RAM in 2010. I got mine for A$500.00(US$250.00), with 2 Radeon GPU cards, 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 256GB NVME and 48GB RAM.

Haven't had a chance to really push it yet. Qubes would be ideal I reckon.

PS. They're known in Apple circles as "the cheesegrater Macs"...
any kind of used warranty, like 90 days or 1 year. I've had power supplies die on Macs, but that was some time ago...

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I bought mine privately, so no.

But, they are so over engineered in the first place, unless you are flogging the poor thing 24/7 you should be good to go...

and besides, there is quite a healthy secondhand market for old Mac parts and even Apple still keep a lot of spares.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I bought mine privately, so no.

But, they are so over engineered in the first place, unless you are flogging the poor thing 24/7 you should be good to go...

and besides, there is quite a healthy secondhand market for old Mac parts and even Apple still keep a lot of spares.
of course, I my current pc, this one, runs 24/7 nearly 365, usually forced to reboot once every month with win_updates, pretty solid :D

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.