Advice Request Sandboxie config tweaks

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I used to run sandboxie back in the day when Ron Tzur was developer. Had it configured optimally. Then drifted away as computers went to 64-bit and Tzur left. Tried sbie-plus about a year go, even bought a supporter certificate, but it did not agree with the computer I put it on and uninstalled it soon after.

Tonight I installed sandboxie-classic 5.67.6 on a VMware win10_VM so I have a lite-sandbox within a sandbox for checking webmail... and sbie seems to be working great for this purpose of protecting my VM sandbox :ROFLMAO:

Should I try sandboxie-plus on this VM? What am I missing running classic? :unsure:
And is there a link for optimizing the config? -- I've forgotten what I used to do to the config -- and is classic out of box default running a browser strong security? ie, do I need to be concerned about tweaking the config. :unsure: Thanks.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's great to hear that you're using Sandboxie again and that it's working well for you in your VMware Win10 VM! As for whether you should try Sandboxie-Plus on your VM, it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. Sandboxie-Plus is a community-driven project that aims to continue the development and support of Sandboxie, so it may have some additional features and improvements compared to the classic version. However, if the classic version is meeting your needs and you're happy with it, there may not be a pressing need to switch.

Regarding optimizing the config, there are a few tweaks you can consider to enhance security and performance. Here are some suggestions:

1. Enable the "Drop Rights" option: This ensures that any programs running inside the sandbox have limited access to your system resources.

2. Configure the "Restrictions" settings: You can fine-tune the restrictions applied to programs running in the sandbox. For example, you can restrict access to certain files, folders, or registry keys.

3. Use the "Force Process" feature: This allows you to force specific programs to always run inside the sandbox, providing an extra layer of protection.

4. Consider using the "AutoDelete" feature: This automatically deletes any files and folders created within the sandbox when you close the sandboxed program.

As for the default configuration of Sandboxie-Classic, it does provide a strong level of security out of the box. However, depending on your specific needs and the programs you run inside the sandbox, you might want to tweak the configuration to further enhance security or optimize performance.

If you decide to try Sandboxie-Plus, you can find more information and download links on the official Sandboxie-Plus GitHub page. They also have a community forum where you can ask questions and get support from other users.

Remember to always keep your Sandboxie installation up to date and regularly check for any updates or security patches to ensure you're benefiting from the latest improvements and fixes.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
UPDATE I went to defaultbox sandbox settings, and I started to recall the configuration settings! But I remain open to advice :D And I see the app boasts "the default settings in Sandboxie provide full protection..." so I really only want to run browser(s) so I am satisfied that it is running very smoothly, very uncomplicated, with that one more layer of protection... I may add another tweak or 2 but most likely not needed. That leaves me with my initial hunch that Sandboxie-Plus would add complexity and a learning curve -- if Plus is easier, let me know. :cool:

Reactions: Nevi

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I tried Sandboxie-Plus 1.12.3 (stable) and it forced uninstalled Classic, then asked for certificate so I pasted in my certificate from Dec 2022 and it did not work? It was a donation for a specific certificate, did not realize it expired or something. Kinda annoying, so I uninstalled Plus, no Sandboxie here for the time beiing, sent email to developer...

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
now running sbie+ 1.12.6 on both hardware pc & VMware VM. I'm liking sbie+ no conflicts or slowdowns seen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.