Testing android Firewall apps: Netguard vs Rethink DNS +Firewall

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
I have a background in netsec/network administration, I also like things to work and simplicity. I've used Netguard for years but sadly it seems the only place to get it in tact is from github. Google is cracking down on ad blockers, firewalls and other apps sadly. So I tried Rethink DNS + Firewall. I like that you can use a wireguard config and have a very secure setup. It also gives you a lot of information on what is being filtered and why. You can use your own dns over https(Nextdns for me) or choose one of usual like quad9 and the dreaded cloudflare..

Sadly there are too many options in this app and it prevented a few of my important apps from working.. even after I saw the udp port it was using and opened them up. No dice!! I had to uninstall it and go back to my old favorite Netguard. Rethink DNS has tons of features and really is a kiler app but due to the layers of a firewall, dns filter, and proxy it all doesn't work together in harmony. More development time would do it some good and I'll keep my eye on it.

I've been using Graphene OS with my Pixel 7 Pro for some time and Netguard is simple but works well!

Reactions: I Walk MY Way

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's great to hear that you have a background in netsec/network administration and that you value simplicity and functionality in your apps. Netguard has been a popular choice for many users due to its effectiveness and ease of use. However, as you mentioned, it can be a bit challenging to find the intact version of the app due to Google's crackdown on certain types of apps.

Rethink DNS + Firewall seems to offer some interesting features, such as the ability to use a Wireguard config for a secure setup and the option to choose different DNS providers. It's unfortunate that you encountered some issues with the app, particularly with certain apps not working even after opening the necessary UDP ports. It seems like the layers of firewall, DNS filter, and proxy might not be working seamlessly together in this case. However, it's good to know that you appreciate the amount of information provided by the app regarding what is being filtered and why.

It's also worth mentioning that Graphene OS, combined with Netguard, has been a reliable combination for you. Graphene OS is known for its focus on privacy and security, and Netguard complements it well with its simplicity and effectiveness.

Overall, it seems like you have found a setup that works well for you, but you'll keep an eye on Rethink DNS + Firewall in case further development improves its compatibility with your important apps. It's always good to explore different options and see what works best for your specific needs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.