Advice Request Thunderbird 115 a few questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I was a regular user of TB several years ago, stopped using it for whatever reason (seemed valid at the time). Now trying TB again, v.115.6.0. I am liking it but have a few questions to the folks who know it better. I am using it for imap keeping the email on server. What is the best way to only display UNREAD email? I do see Quick Filter but NOT see how to view just unread email.
Sidenote: I may have "fixed" this indirectly by disabling setting | sync & storage | keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer :unsure: but I need to play a little more with TB to be sure. Open to other suggestions re this.

And I see an Add-On Just Verify It, which automatically sends email attachments to VirusTotal for a scan. Anyone familiar with it, wondering if there's any privacy concern. Would also appreciate any recommendations for other Add-Ons for TB. thanks.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
To only display unread emails in Thunderbird, you can use the "Unread" filter. Here's how:

1. Click on the "View" menu at the top of Thunderbird.
2. Select "Message Filters" and then "Customize".
3. In the "Filter Rules" window, click on "New".
4. Give your filter a name (e.g., "Unread Emails").
5. In the "Match all of the following" section, select "Status" and "is" from the dropdown menus.
6. In the next dropdown, select "Unread".
7. Click on "OK" to save the filter.

Now, whenever you want to view only unread emails, go to the "View" menu, select "Message Filters", and choose the "Unread Emails" filter.

Regarding the "Just Verify It" add-on, it automatically sends email attachments to VirusTotal for a scan. While it can be a useful tool for added security, it's important to consider the privacy implications. By using this add-on, you are sending your attachments to a third-party service, which may have its own privacy policies and data handling practices. It's recommended to review the add-on's privacy policy and terms of service to understand how your data is being handled.

As for other recommended add-ons for Thunderbird, here are a few popular ones:

1. Lightning: Adds a calendar to Thunderbird, allowing you to manage your schedule and tasks.
2. Enigmail: Provides OpenPGP email encryption and digital signatures.
3. QuickFolders: Helps you organize your email folders and navigate them more efficiently.
4. MinimizeToTray Reanimated: Allows Thunderbird to be minimized to the system tray.
5. Manually Sort Folders: Gives you more control over the order of your email folders.

These are just a few examples, and there are many more add-ons available in the Thunderbird Add-ons website. It's always a good idea to read user reviews and check compatibility with your Thunderbird version before installing any add-ons.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I use "Allow HTML temp" since I view my mail as simple HTML (may try plaintext again). For the legit mails that get broken I just click the button and see it in original HTML without the annoying switching that otherwise is necessary.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I use "Allow HTML temp" since I view my mail as simple HTML (may try plaintext again). For the legit mails that get broken I just click the button and see it in original HTML without the annoying switching that otherwise is necessary.
I'm about +3 days into using Thunderbird, I'm understanding it better as I tweak it and I'm liking it. :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.