App Review VoodooShield Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
What part?
The very first paragraph. :) It reads:
VoodooShield's EULA said:
VoodooShield™ was designed to be a better alternative to the Microsoft Windows User Account Control (UAC). While VoodooShield™ is compatible with UAC, to avoid redundant blocking of new executable files, you might consider disabling User Account Control (UAC) while VoodooShield™ is running.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It does not!
Here a some picture of installation (i don't want to record video now):
View attachment 126388 View attachment 126389 View attachment 126390 View attachment 126391

Can you show that?
Did you skipped a part of the installation? There should be a part that ask the user if he wants to enable Autopilot mode or Application Whitelisting(Smart mode).

In the application whitelisting section, there's a suggestion to use VoodooShield as a replacement to UAC. Of course, the product doesn't disable UAC regardless of what mode you pick.

Lucent Warrior

Level 1
Verified
Dec 5, 2016
Your test are coming along nicely now. Seeing you use the fresher samples from the hub is a plus.

For future reference,

Testing in Autopilot mode is not testing the whole application. Autopilot mode is meant for average/novice users to handle most decisions for them, but it offers less protection doing so. The default "Smart Mode" is more secure.

When VS is on AutoPilot, it is only using the blacklist "57 VT engines" and Ai "artificial intelligence" the 3rd layer of protection (VS's Application Whitelisting lock) is off. When VS is in Smart Mode "default" all 3 layers will be used.

This part and below meant for general audience...

There is no tweak guides you need to find and seek out. VS out of the box is already optimize for best usability/security balance. I have tested this product many, many times with nothing but default settings and have yet to bypass it. In Smart mode "default" when you do not have a web app open, and VS is not locked "red color" it is finishing fine tuning your whitelist for max compatibility and still covers your desktop and user space as well as removable media. This will ensure a very smooth ride using VS, hence the name "Smart"....

K

KGBagent47

Thread author
Hi all,

This is my review/test of VoodooShield Free. I personally really like this software & am using it on my Host PC right now. Please watch the video for results :)

Sample Details:

- All from MalwareTips
- 18 Items that are executed
- 2 Items were missed because I renamed them to .exe when they should have been Javascript files! Opps...
- Some of the latest malware samples uploaded & some from late November.

In future tests:

- I will be executing the latest MalwareTips samples
- I will be executing some of the latest threats from Malcode & VXVault & other sources
- I will verify all files to double check for false positives

But here's the video:

VoodooShield IMO is up there with Comodo firewall in terms of protection.

Thanks for watching & hopefully you've enjoyed :) Any feedback is appreciated & I will see you all in the next video ;)

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly the default configuration of Voodoshield is ok at all, its matter of user interaction to understand the pop-ups.

Their AI and Blacklist Scan is already at good stage to detect usual threats; the bypass rate is already at rare stage since it goes accurately from VT and if not; it will base on AI.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Another excellent video. Thanks for the video and review.

Some considerations or observations:
Thinking of the masses of typical normal users who may find your video, could you perhaps carve out a little bit of time (at the end?) to place the products you review into a concept of layering? For example, I think I would find it helpful to know that this anti-executable may or may not stop a well designed memory infection, so I could look for this in another product. Another might be, what is the scope of the sandbox and how does it compare to the sandboxing of other products? Does VS sandboxing block all changes to the system, etc.? Overall, I personally think of VS as a last line of defense, considering it does turn off UAC.

A picture graphic or something to explain how a product fits in with other security products would be very beneficial and might even be something you could use over and over by classifying each given product as a specific type of protection all while using the same graphic in different videos. Great you went over the VT input in VS, which is great for everyday users, but the restrictions on free I think could be an issue too and maybe worth a little bit more discussion than just mentioning. Seriously, great work, but a little bit of big picture context at the end perhaps?

Thanks for this. I was not aware that this was the default for AS.

I agree with SHvF1 about the luck of the draw problem with VS. I don't know what it would be, but it seems the developers need a second angle on anti-executable to add to VS. Virus Total is a great start, though.
Thanks for the tip :) I will try to do something like this soon!

During installation VoodooShield turns UAC off but you can re-enable it with VodooShield installed.

First of all to @MalwareBlockerYT thank you for spending the time to do your reviews and post them here and asking for member feedback.
There is a way to offer constructive feedback without being condescending and "tooting your own horn".
It would be nice if everyone remembers this and reply in a respectful manner.
Thanks for watching & for the support ;)

Your test are coming along nicely now. Seeing you use the fresher samples from the hub is a plus.

For future reference,

Testing in Autopilot mode is not testing the whole application. Autopilot mode is meant for average/novice users to handle most decisions for them, but it offers less protection doing so. The default "Smart Mode" is more secure.

When VS is on AutoPilot, it is only using the blacklist "57 VT engines" and Ai "artificial intelligence" the 3rd layer of protection (VS's Application Whitelisting lock) is off. When VS is in Smart Mode "default" all 3 layers will be used.

This part and below meant for general audience...

There is no tweak guides you need to find and seek out. VS out of the box is already optimize for best usability/security balance. I have tested this product many, many times with nothing but default settings and have yet to bypass it. In Smart mode "default" when you do not have a web app open, and VS is not locked "red color" it is finishing fine tuning your whitelist for max compatibility and still covers your desktop and user space as well as removable media. This will ensure a very smooth ride using VS, hence the name "Smart"....
You make a good point since I know that AutoPilot isn't testing the whole software but this test was from a standard inexperienced user's point of view - they are unlikely to click on the one which requires more user interaction because they may want to just let it run in the background & not hear from it.

F

ForgottenSeer 56325

Thread author
I'm getting used to say the same in every video you post, but I'll not planning on stop it:
Your test are awesome, still don't know why you don't have 1.000.000 suscribers (and no I'm not kidding), I really feel like you deserve every like, every suscription, and every follow you recieve everyday, keep that awesome work you do!

Best of luck in your exams, Lucas1533

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
I'm getting used to say the same in every video you post, but I'll not planning on stop it:
Your test are awesome, still don't know why you don't have 1.000.000 suscribers (and no I'm not kidding), I really feel like you deserve every like, every suscription, and every follow you recieve everyday, keep that awesome work you do!

Best of luck in your exams, Lucas1533
Thank you very much ;) The support really is amazing & I'm glad you like the videos :D Hopefully I will continue to improve & impress and maybe one day I will reach that sub count...maybe but unlikely - 1000 will do :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.