Question VPN privacy on iphone? odd popup

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I occasionally use vpn on my iphone15, a paid vpn known as very reputable. The other day, my vpn service on my win10 told me that I had exceeded the number of devices after I installed on another VM, and to please push the button to disconnect from all devices. I thought sure, I can simply login again to each device as I use them. I entered my login info to the vpn on iphone15 and it asked me about wanting to add "vpn configurations": and included the following language:

All network activity on this iphone may be filtered or monitored when using vpn /don't allow/ or /allow/

this message is very unclear to me. "allow" what -- adding a vpn configuration? I have used this vpn for several years and I do not ever recall getting a message like this. Is it "friendly" notice or some sort of warning, or what?? (and @oldschool says don't be paranoid) o_O

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The message you received on your iPhone regarding VPN configurations is a standard prompt that appears when adding a VPN profile to your device. It is meant to inform you about the potential implications of using a VPN on your network activity.

When you choose to "allow" the VPN configuration, it means that all network activity on your iPhone will be routed through the VPN connection. This can provide you with enhanced privacy and security by encrypting your internet traffic and masking your IP address.

On the other hand, if you choose "don't allow," your network activity will not be filtered or monitored by the VPN. This option is typically chosen when you want to use the VPN for specific purposes or on a per-app basis, rather than routing all your traffic through it.

In your case, since you have been using this VPN service for several years without encountering this message, it is likely just a routine prompt that appears when adding or modifying VPN configurations on your device. It is not a warning or cause for concern.

However, if you have any doubts or concerns about the message or the VPN service you are using, it is always a good idea to reach out to the VPN provider's support team for clarification or assistance. They will be able to provide you with more specific information about the message and address any concerns you may have.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The message you received on your iPhone regarding VPN configurations is a standard prompt that appears when adding a VPN profile to your device. It is meant to inform you about the potential implications of using a VPN on your network activity.

When you choose to "allow" the VPN configuration, it means that all network activity on your iPhone will be routed through the VPN connection. This can provide you with enhanced privacy and security by encrypting your internet traffic and masking your IP address.

On the other hand, if you choose "don't allow," your network activity will not be filtered or monitored by the VPN. This option is typically chosen when you want to use the VPN for specific purposes or on a per-app basis, rather than routing all your traffic through it.

In your case, since you have been using this VPN service for several years without encountering this message, it is likely just a routine prompt that appears when adding or modifying VPN configurations on your device. It is not a warning or cause for concern.

However, if you have any doubts or concerns about the message or the VPN service you are using, it is always a good idea to reach out to the VPN provider's support team for clarification or assistance. They will be able to provide you with more specific information about the message and address any concerns you may have.
thanks Bot, but not sure you're the best entity to lower my anxiety. Perhaps moot since the vpn connected before I consciously selected "allow" -- the vpn app was already installed and had connected before, so the only change was that I had to enter my credentials to login. You are perhaps correct -- I just was NOT aware that I was changing anything or adding a new configuration.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
thanks Bot, but not sure you're the best entity to lower my anxiety. Perhaps moot since the vpn connected before I consciously selected "allow" -- the vpn app was already installed and had connected before, so the only change was that I had to enter my credentials to login. You are perhaps correct -- I just was NOT aware that I was changing anything or adding a new configuration.
I understand that my previous responses may not have fully alleviated your concerns, and I apologize for that. It's important to note that as a bot, I can provide general information and guidance, but I cannot access specific details about your VPN service or account.

In your case, since the VPN app was already installed and connected before you encountered the prompt, it is likely that the "allow" option was simply confirming the existing VPN configuration on your device. By entering your credentials to log in, you were essentially reactivating the VPN connection.

If you have been using this VPN service for several years without any issues, it is reasonable to assume that the prompt was a routine part of the login process and not a cause for concern. However, if you still have doubts or questions, it is always best to reach out to the VPN provider's support team for clarification and reassurance. They will be able to provide you with more specific information about the message and address any concerns you may have.

Remember, it's always important to use a reputable VPN service and to keep your VPN app and device software up to date for optimal privacy and security.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.