Solved What should I do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
What are good backup solutions for free?
Well I have the Macrium version from 2 years ago when it was free. But I have looked at alternatives, and MiniTools ShadowMaker has a free version. It doesn't compress as good as Macrium so you will use a little more space; but it is free.

And when you boot up the rescue USB stick, you might have to press ALT-Space and choose Maximize so that the screen shows up ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I get OCD about some things, and I've been concerned about the possibilty that on my laptop that I had a RAT installed and it was monitoring my webcam without me knowing (This is really the only thing I'm concerned about).
They sell "sticker" for webcams. Just put one on it and there will never be videos of you. I never use webcams so whenever I have a laptop or monitor with one it gets a sticker for it. . If you need a webcam maybe buy an external one and unplug it afterwards always. You can't beat physical stickers with any software that's why I would rather use them than trust any software that promises to keep you save.
The Hasleo backup (since free) has got a lot of traction here lately
I asked this only to know really "Should I be worried about a small chance I have a RAT on my system, and that it could have took video of me"?
No because you can't change it one way or the other. If a video would exist would you believe they won't publish it for extra money after you paid? I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
[...] I was looking through my email today and I saw this: This is from October, I had that malware in late July, and this is the only account I can find with this email. I'm going to change the password, but according to Have I been Pwned, it's not from a databreach that this password was leaked.
Looking at all of this, should I be concerned about it being a RAT and them having my webcam? Or am I just overthinking all of this? This could be from some other infection I've had on my main PC, or something else. It's been 6 months and nothing else has happened.
I'm sorry that I keep having to make posts about "I used to download malware to test online sandboxes", but I want to make sure. I've been stressed for 2 weeks about this.

I would like to point out that I suspect the file was ran in July, the password for this account was changed in August, but I did use this pc in October around the time of this email.
View attachment 281011
Is the attempted Login using the following format username%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com

Did you change your Google Account password in October, or today?

Does your Google Account have 2-Step Verification, and which methods are enabled?

Ways to improve Google Account security:

Do a clean wipe, no recovery backups:
  1. Enable full disk encryption
  2. Format drive
  3. Clean install Windows (or Linux).
  4. Don't download or interact with malware

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Is the attempted Login using the following format username%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com

Did you change your Google Account password in October, or today?

Does your Google Account have 2-Step Verification, and which methods are enabled?

Ways to improve Google Account security:

Do a clean wipe, no recovery backups:
  1. Enable full disk encryption
  2. Format drive
  3. Clean install Windows (or Linux).
  4. Don't download or interact with malware
Can’t check format was used as I found out about it yesterday, when the attempted login was from October.

Changed password for that account in August and Today.

Main google account has 2FA, I will enable for the other ones.

I’m going to change all other passwords soon.

I will do a clean wipe on the laptop and old PC eventually. The new one I’ve verified through malwarebytes forums isn’t infected and I’ve always had a default deny setup on.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Ok after thinking about this for a bit more, I think I’m in the clear.

It’s somehow expanded to all 3 devices (old PC, Laptop, and a Virtual Machine - we’ve 100% verified that the Laptop and Old PC were clean.

Virtual Machines - I’ve never received a popup from Kaspersky about webcam, I don’t believe I’ve added it in through Virtual Boxes add on (although I’m not 100% sure, I just really can’t remember. I think I only changed drag-and-drop).

It’s also been 6+ months from all this - so I’m assuming I’m fine. I’ve talked to parents about this and they’ve said “We will help you if anything happens, but nothing did”

If someone could close this topic, that’d be nice.

• Applause
Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.