Technology Windows 10 Climbs to 70% Market Share Despite Being 9 Years Old

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windows 11 has been in a head-to-head battle with Windows 10 since it launched in late 2021. Microsoft hoped the newcomer OS would displace the ragged veteran by offering new features, a more modern interface, and quality-of-life improvements. However, not everyone is on board with the "upgrade." According to Statcounter's latest numbers, Windows 10 gained market share among Windows users in April, climbing past 70% for the first time since late 2023.

The market analysis firm's April numbers show Windows 10 climbing almost one percentage point to hit 70.1% market share for Windows users. At the same time, Windows 11's market share dipped slightly to 25.69%, indicating the Windows 10 increase came directly at the expense of Windows 11. As far as how that's possible since Windows 10 hasn't been included on a new PC in quite some time now, we've heard reports recently of a lot of refurbished PCs being dumped in retail channels with Windows 10.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
And we're going to have this notification in Update for all the years were running 10 😒

2024-05-02_10-30-42.jpg

nicolaasjan

Level 4
May 29, 2023
And we're going to have this notification in Update for all the years were running 10 😒

View attachment 283161
Set policy (reg file) :) :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001 "TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H2"

How to Block the Windows 11 Update From Installing on Windows 10

Don't forget to remove the policy when you're going to upgrade anyway.
This requires some tweaks to bypass the restrictions (provided they'll keep working).

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Set policy (reg file) :) :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "TargetReleaseVersion"=dword:00000001 "TargetReleaseVersionInfo"="21H2"

How to Block the Windows 11 Update From Installing on Windows 10

Don't forget to remove the policy when you're going to upgrade anyway.
This requires some tweaks to bypass the restrictions (provided they'll keep working).

That worked, thank you :) Now I have this Microsoft notification instead, so it may be a trade off of what red alert I want to look at 😅 I Bookmarked your post and the link, just in case I want to undo it, as you alluded to. Thanks again :)

2024-05-03_10-41-47.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.