App Review Windows Defender and MSE Boot Time Protection

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Windows Defender on Windows 7 states that it is 'just' an anti-spyware and should not be used. If the people who made it recommend you not to use it then why is it implemented in!? It should have MSE built-in. Now for the actual tests, thanks @cruelsister for the review and I am very surprised that MSE and WD has that good boot-time protection - a real big improvement in their security +1 to Microsoft.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Again a very nice vid @cruelsister :)
May I ask some questions?
* The settings of WD / MSE are stock i guess? Are there any, I've to admit I never tried those out, as I installed an AV ASAP after new installation...
* Will this boot protection also help against current Ransomware (Locky seems to be a big problem in Germany)?
* What's up next? I really enjoyed your testing series (which has come to an end as you stated :(), I'm lusting for more cyber-sec vids :)
* In addition to question 2, I noticed Ransomware to start to encrypt files on the fly, not after restart (those contained in the Hub files, regularly blocked by QTS 360 or even WD on W10)?

So, enough questions for now,
Kudos to your work, really nice to see M$ improving their security services (ok sorry, here's another one ;) - there once was an business version of WD? What happened to that?) :)

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Tbh i expected WD on windows 10 to do really well but surprised it got a perfect score. As i said in another topic WD is a good base antivirus if you don't need many more features and it comes at the price of 0$.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I would like to refer to a description of Wikipedia about Windows Defender
Windows Defender was released with Windows Vista and Windows 7, serving as their built-in antispyware component. Windows Defender is superseded by Microsoft Security Essentials, an antimalware product from Microsoft which provides protection against a wider range of malware. Upon installation, Microsoft Security Essentials disables Windows Defender and takes over its duty.[8][9][10] In Windows 8, Microsoft upgraded Windows Defender into an antivirus program comparable to Microsoft Security Essentials.[11] This new Windows Defender greatly resembles Microsoft Security Essentials and uses the same virus definition updates. As a result, Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatible with Windows 8.
Windows Defender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D

Deleted member 2913

Nice test & info there Cruel.

Kudos to WD & Win 10

If Comodo ever releases the promised Standalone Automatic Sandbox then guess WD + Windows FW + Comodo AutoSandbox will be my security on Win 10.

I have read good things about WD on Win 10. This is the reason I have left my cousin who is average user with WD + Windows FW on his Win 10 system. I would like to see how effective is WD on Win 10 protecting average users.

On his Win 10 64 system -
WD + Win FW
Chrome & Firefox with uBlock Origin
Unchecky

Offcoz periodic backup on external HDD to be on safe side as always with any security software installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Not Surprising for me. MSE has bad signatures but other than that it is solid. it has good protection for non zero day and good cleaning

Thanks for sharing another great video

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Defender and MSE both integrated a lot of techniques especially AMSI which highly contributed against those scripts, also we are aware that Microsoft's analysis isn't bad neither because it can caught up even sophisticated threats.

One of the downside is the maturity to attack against more threats because 3rd party AV's have a lot of advantages however Windows 10 built protection is sufficient from overall needs; something should appreciate as run through background task.

Of course to maintain healthy competition, you need to give and take at all; remember that the world is unfair so you need to take different perspectives.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The malware used here are self-coded. I call it a Timing Dropper to which I attached ransomware which is the file that was dropped and the AV would detect or not at boot. I made sure that all of the AV's tested in this series could detect it if run normally.

But obviously no AV would detect my malware as it wasn't (and never will be) released into the Wild.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.