New Update WinFindr 1.4 - Search for files and registry data with advanced search options

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
WinFindr is a free, lightweight data searching app for Windows. It can search for files, folders as well as registry data.

This is how it looks like:

winfindr_search2.png

Key features:
  • Search using multiple search terms at the same time, also with a support for negative search terms (i.e. if any of these search terms match, the hit is ignored)
  • Search with file masks (wildcards) and with regular expressions, all at the same time, too.
  • Searching for files based on their type, size and content. The content search supports text files, Microsoft Word, OpenOffice Writer files and text-based PDF files. Note: The searching within Microsoft Word and PDF files is an experimental feature and not every version of these file formats are yet supported.
  • Proximity search. For example, search for files whose name (or content) includes words “cute” and “cat” and they both exist at most 6 words apart.
  • Supports natural search options, such as ignoring special characters between words. For example, “cute cat” will match “cute-cat.jpg” and “cute_cat.png”. Also supports ignoring accented characters. For example, “cafe” search term will match “The best cafés in Braga.pdf”
  • Supports searching for files inside Zip and Rar archives.
  • Supports Dark Mode.
  • Has a single executable file portable version.
  • Comes with 29 translations builtin: Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.
  • WinFindr is freeware, lightweight (under 2.5 MB) and easy to use. No bells and whistles, no nonsense.
For more screenshots and download: WinFindr

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve or change within the app to make it better for you.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
So this is some kind of alternative of Everything and UltraSearch but can search and the registry as well?
And it also can search for words/phrases in a text file, for example?
Nice.
Does it use some kind of indexing for faster results?
Can it search the mapped drives and network shares too?
Thanks!

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
So this is some kind of alternative of Everything and UltraSearch but can search and the registry as well?
And it also can search for words/phrases in a text file, for example?
Nice.
Does it use some kind of indexing for faster results?
Can it search the mapped drives and network shares too?
Thanks!

This program can search for filesystem data but also registry data. One reason why I made this was that I wanted to have a search tool that would allow me to find what data installed software have added to my computer. Everything was great for just searching for files and folders, but I also wanted to see the registry data and I wanted to see all that in one UI.

WinFindr can indeed search also inside files. Inside text files such as .txt, also inside Microsoft Word document files, Open Office document files and text-based PDF files. The support for Microsoft Word and PDF documents is currently experimental, though, and not all versions of these file formats are currently supported.

The program doesn't use any kind of indexing. But it's very fast also without it. There are pros and cons about indexing, and at least for now, I decided against implementing that.

It can search mapped drives and network shares if those are accessible within Windows. For example, if you have a remote disk mapped as you X:\ drive, you can search that content as well.

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Nice. Found files I didn't know I had. Got Pro! :D

Thank you so much! Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to make this program better for you!

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Have submitted this GUI bug report many times on the forum and via your support email. Never a single reply.

Can you please show the post in WinFindr's forum where you have reported this? Also, which support email address have you used to report this?

I have also seen the bug that you are mentioning and I plan on fixing it for the next version.

Other problems are WinFindr does not remember window size or location.

The portable version of WinFindr doesn't, by default, save any data to the system. That is why no settings are saved unless you explicitly go to Settings and click save the settings there. To enable window size and position saving, you need to go to Settings and enable "Save window position and size" setting and click Save Settings. Have you done this?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.