If you are seeing pop-up and in-text ads from BetterSurf within Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome, then your computer is infected with an adware or a potentially unwanted program.
The BetterSurf infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.
BetterSurf it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.
BetterSurf is an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, and distributed through various monetization platforms during installation.
BetterSurf is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program. When you install these free programs, they will also install BetterSurf as well. Some of the programs that are known to bundle BetterSurf include 1ClickDownload, Superfish, Yontoo and FBPhotoZoom. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that BetterSurf is a virus.
Once installed, the BetterSurf browser extension will highlight words on the websites that you are visiting transforming them into hyperlinks. These BetterSurf links are placed inside your text (hence the name), and they come with a double underline to differentiate them from normal links. Once the user rolls the mouse over the link the advertising will pop. Should the user click on the BetterSurf links the browser extension developer will get an affiliate revenue.
BetterSurf will also display advertising banners on the webpages that you are visiting, and as you browse Internet, it will show coupons and other deals available on different websites.
These BetterSurf pop-up ads will be shown as boxes containing various coupons that are available or as underlined keywords, which when clicked will display an advertisement that states it is brought to you by “Ads by BetterSurf”.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this BetterSurf adware. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove “BetterSurf” (Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove “BetterSurf” virus from your computer, and any other adware program that may have been installed during the setup process.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall BetterSurf program from your computer
STEP 2: Remove “Ads by BetterSurf” virus from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
STEP 3: Remove BetterSurf adware from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
STEP 4: Remove “Ads by BetterSurf” virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the “BetterSurf” malware with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Uninstall BetterSurf program from your computer
In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- To uninstall the BetterSurf program from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the “Start” button, then click on the “Control Panel” menu option.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel” .Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there.
- When the “Control Panel” window opens click on the “Uninstall a program” option under “Programs” category. This option is shown by the arrow in the image below. If you are using the “Classic View” of the Control Panel, then you would double-click on the “Programs and Features” icon instead.
- When the “Programs and Features” or the “Uninstall a Program” screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall BetterSurf, Discount Cow, V-bates, PriceMeter, Supra Savings, weDownload Manager, PureLead, Search Assist, Re-Markable, Zombie Alert, Wajam, Coupon Server, Lollipop, HD-Total-Plus, BlockAndSurf, Safe Saver, SupTab, Search Protect, Lollipop, Software Updated Version, DP1815, Video Player, Convert Files for Free, Plus-HD 1.3, BetterSurf, Trusted Web, PassShow, LyricsBuddy-1, PureLeads, Media Player 1.1, RRSavings, Feven Pro 1.2, Websteroids, Savings Bull, TidyNetwork, Search Snacks, MyPC Backup, Re-markit and any other recently installed unknown program from your computer.
To view the most recently installed programs, you can click on the “Installed On” column to sort your program by the installation date. Scroll though the list, and uninstall any unwanted or unknown programs.
Depending on what program has installed the BetterSurf adware infection, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can proceed with the next step.
If you are having issues while trying to uninstall the BetterSurf program, you can use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove this unwanted program from your machine.
STEP 2: Remove “BetterSurf” Ads from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
Remove “Ads by BetterSurf” virus from Internet Explorer
You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC.
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the “gear icon” in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options.
- In the “Internet Options” dialog box, click on the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Reset” button.
- In the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” section, select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
- When Internet Explorer has completed its task, click on the “Close” button in the confirmation dialogue box. You will now need to close your browser, and then you can open Internet Explorer again.
Remove “Ads by BetterSurf” virus from Mozilla Firefox
If you’re having problems with Firefox, resetting it can help. The reset feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, web form auto-fill information, browsing history and open tabs.
- In the upper-right corner of the Firefox window, click the Firefox menu button (), the click on the “Help” () button.
- From the Help menu, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the “Reset Firefox” button in the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page.
- To continue, click on the “Reset Firefox” button in the new confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click on the “Finish“.
Note: Your old Firefox profile will be placed on your desktop in a folder named “Old Firefox Data“. If the reset didn’t fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created. If you don’t need this folder any longer, you should delete it as it contains sensitive information.
Remove “Ads by BetterSurf” virus from Google Chrome
- Click on the “Chrome menu button” () on the browser toolbar, select “Tools“, and then click on “Extensions“.
- In the “Extensions” tab, remove the BetterSurf any other unknown extensions by clicking the trash can icon.
Basically, if you have not installed an extensions then you should remove it from your web browser.
If you cannot remove the BetterSurf extension, and under the trash can you can see the “Installed by enterprise policy” text, then you will need to follow our “Remove Installed by enterprise policy extension from Chrome” guide.
STEP 3: Remove BetterSurf adware from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and web browser for the “BetterSurf” malicious files, browser extensions and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “AdwCleaner”)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the “Scan” button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for the “BetterSurf” malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the “BetterSurf” malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the “Clean” button.
- AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or documents, as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
STEP 4: Remove “BetterSurf” virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free uses industry-leading technology to detect and remove all traces of malware, including worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, and more.
It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts.
- You can download download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below link.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free”)
- Once downloaded, close all programs, then double-click on the icon on your desktop named “mbam-setup-consumer-2.00.xx” to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
You may be presented with a User Account Control dialog asking you if you want to run this file. If this happens, you should click “Yes” to continue with the installation.
- When the installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard which will guide you through the installation process.
To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your machine, keep following the prompts by clicking the “Next” button.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the “Fix Now” button.
Alternatively, you can click on the “Scan” tab and select “Threat Scan“, then click on the “Scan Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the “Update Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for the BetterSurf virus. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is scanning it will look like the image below.
- When the scan has completed, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the “Quarantine All” button, and then click on the “Apply Now” button.
Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now quarantine all the malicious files and registry keys that it has found. When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
After your computer will restart, you should open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform another “Threat Scan” scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 5: Double-check for the “BetterSurf” malware infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti-virus software, firewalls, etc.). HitmanPro is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than 5 minutes) and does not slow down the computer.
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download “HitmanPro”
- Double-click on the file named “HitmanPro.exe” (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or “HitmanPro_x64.exe” (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the “Next” button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for BetterSurf malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the “Next” button, to remove BetterSurf virus.
- Click on the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the BetterSurf adware infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the Premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove BetterSurf adware from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.
39 thoughts on “Remove BetterSurf Ads (Virus Removal Guide)”
Thanks man, didn’t know about some of the different extensions but know i got it off this and it makes being on chrome so much easier
Thanks mate, finally I got rid of the bastard, regards from Down Under, Melbourne
I didn’t just have better stupid surf, there were another 6, and i got rid of them finally thanks to you!!!! Thank you
I had media player, media viewer, media listener, video player, and web-something. needless to say I think a good thing to watch for is the cat bin logo. anything with that needs to go.
Yes thanks i killed that piece of shit better surf thank you very much
thanks so much.. a great help… installed as Media Player for me.. very annoying..
Thank You So Much with your post… it used :) Keep Post, GBU
Sa traiesti! Nu ma mir ca un roman a rezolvat-o. Incercasem o multime de alte chestii dar nu a mers:)
Please follow this guide: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/media-player-1-1-ads-removal/
Video Player for me too. Cheers mate.
I just uninstalled media player from device and services section on my Windows 7.
Use the Control Panel Programs and Features to uninstall.
Click the Installed On column heading to see the latest install.
Click on and uninstall any programs that you did not install.
Programs to look out for include ….
Media Player 1.1,
Then, poss get Malwarebytes (or similar) to scan and protect going forward.
29Jan14 – My infection was named Media Player v1.1. Uninstalled and all was OK
Thank you!!!! This saved my computer and my parents are so happy I do not need a new one AGAIN. Thank you thank you thank you!
Thank you soooooooooooooo much! I couldn’t do anything on chrome without ads everywhere! This helped me so much. <3
Excellent – thank you for taking the time to post your solution. I ran through all 6 of your steps. Not only did it remove the Better Surf popup ads but it also removed a ton of junk that I had accumulated over the years. Thanks
The first 2 steps should remove this infection. I do recommend that you go thru all the steps as they may find additional infections however it’s not mandatory.
Malwarebytes and HitmanPro as on-demand scanners so they will not conflict with your real-time protection. Also, I would uninstall McAfee and use Avast Antivirus Free or Comodo Internet Security Free as may main antivirus. :)
Oh my god THANK YOU SO MUCH. You are a freaking lifesaver. I wish I could also thank the guys who made those fantastic programs also. They sure put my Anti-Virus software to shame.
Ohmygosh, thank you so much. For a few weeks, I’ve been so annoyed and frustrated, every site I went on ads were there. And I didn’t recall downloading anything whatsoever. It appears I managed to download two separate ad things, and this helped remove this freaking irritating suggestions! Thank you!
What a comprehensive answer, really appreciate the time and effort you have put into giving us general users a solution to this issue. And for free as well. Customer service doesn’t get better than that. Guess who’s on top of my shopping list to protect my computer.
Thank you! It was driving me crazy your instructions are easy to follow :-)
The fact that is disabled is good, but I advise you to remove it from Firefox’s extensions. If you do not need it, then why keep it…
I forgot to tell, that I don’t really see ads, so it is inactive, but how I fould it, it was that at start of Mozilla, it was asking whether it should look for automatic updates for the non-compatible addons, and one of the two was this Better Surf. Can it still harm my computer, or when it is disabled by Firefox, than it is safe?
Thanks ! Great work ! That really help. All is now as it should be.
Thanks! I’ve been like 2 hours doing this but it deserved all that time.
Thank you so much!!!
Thanks for the help!
thank you so much. I went to Control Panel, searched for “Better-Surf” deleted their individual files, the 3 folders & the main folder. Thanks to you I have their aliases & a better way to delete them in the future. Happened right after I searched for lyrics.
Thank you, Stelian.
Thank you,you are a nice guy XD
Thanks alot it worked perfect.
Thank you for posting this!! Easy to follow and worked great.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Worked like a charm! Thanks
Thank you for your help, this assisted me greatly! Have a good day! :D
I just removed Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables by AVG technologies s.r.o. which was installed on the same day as I installed Free AVG 2014. Advertising banners and inline advertising by BetterSurf seems to have disappeared from Internet Explorer now. Pretty poor if this was bundled in with an AVG install, though this was three weeks ago and BetterSurf has appeared only today.