Buildathome is an advertising platform, which is used by adware and other malicious programs to display popup ads from buildathome.info within Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
The Buildathome popup ads happens regardless of the web browser or search engine, and if you are seeing ads from buildathome.info whenever you are doing a Google search or visiting a website, then your computer may be infected with Pihar, Tracur, ZeroAccess/Sirefef rootkit, adware or a potentially unwanted program.
This infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser.
Buildathome virus is distributed through several means. Malicious websites, or legitimate websites that have been compromised, may drop this Trojan onto a compromised computer. This drive-by-download often happens surreptitiously. Another method used to propagate this type of malware is spam email containing infected attachments or links to malicious websites. The threat may also be downloaded manually by tricking the user into thinking they are installing a useful piece of software.
Buildathome virus is also prevalent on peer-to-peer file sharing websites and is often packaged with pirated or illegally acquired software.
Once install on a computer, the Buildathome will display pop-up ads within your browser and Flash update boxes with the sole purpose of generating revenue for the cyber criminals.
buildathome.info is not a malicious domain itself, however this website is used by cyber criminals as a tracking website for their affiliate programs.Before traffic is delivered to advertisers, Buildathome is used as a network referral ID to identify and qualify traffic sent by traffic partners.
Depending on what is causing the Buildathome popup ads, the malware removal process can be different for each particular case, however using the below guide, you should be able to remove this infection from your computer.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this Buildathome adware. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
Buildathome pop-up – Virus Removal Guide
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove Buildathome pop-ups from your computer, and any other adware program that may have been installed during the setup process.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall Buildathome programs from your computer
STEP 2: Remove Buildathome redirect from your web browser
STEP 2: Remove Buildathome adware with AdwCleaner
STEP 3: Remove Buildathome browser hijackers with Junkware Removal Tool
STEP 4: Remove Buildathome virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the Buildathome infection with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Remove Buildathome malicious programs from your computer
Buildathome pop-up ads may be displayed by an adware program that you have recently installed. In our case buildathome.info redirect was installed with Yontoo, DownloadTerms 1.0, LessTabs, TidyNetwork.com and WebCake 3.0 programs. In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- To uninstall the programs that are responsible for the Buildathome from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall GetLyrics, DownloadTerms 1.0, LessTabs, TidyNetwork.com, WebCake 3.0, Selection Links and any other unwanted or recently installed programs from your computer.
Depending on what program has installed the Buildathome.info adware, the above programs may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find the program that is responsible for the buildathome.info redirect, you can proceed with the next step.
STEP 2 : Remove buildathome.info redirect from your browser
Remove Buildathome.info from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
- Close and open Internet Explorer.
Remove Buildathome.info from Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window), and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish
Remove Buildathome.info from Google Chrome
- Remove Buildathome extensions from Google Chrome.
Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
- In the Extensions tab, remove (by clicking on the Recycle Bin) the GetLyrics, DownloadTerms 1.0, LessTabs, TidyNetwork.com, WebCake 3.0 and any other unknown extensions from Google Chrome. Basically, if you have not installed an extension, you should remove it from your web browser.
STEP 3: Remove Buildathome adware from your computer with AdwCleaner.
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and browsers for Buildathome malicious files and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Search button as shown below.
The program will now start to search for adware files that may be installed on your computer. When it has finished it will display a notepad screen that contains a log file of all the adware extensions, files, and registry keys that have been detected. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, please close the Notepad window and continue with the next step.
- To remove the adware malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Delete button on the AdwCleaner screen.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
- AdwCleaner will now delete all traces of Buildathome adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the OK button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the OK button to let AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
STEP 4: Remove Buildathome browser hijacker with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove Buildathome from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome.
- You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the Buildathome hijacker.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
- When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.
STEP 5: Remove Buildathome malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a powerfull on-demand scanner which will remove Buildathome malicious files from your computer.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double click on it to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process.
- On the Scanner tab,select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for Buildathome.info malicious files as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes scan will be completed,click on Show Result.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected.Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked) and click on the Remove Selected button.
STEP 6: Remove Buildathome malicious files with HitmanPro
Buildathome may also install a ZeroAccess rootkit on victim’s computer, to detect and remove this malicious program we will perform a scan with HitmanPro.
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link, then double-click on it to start this program.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for Buildathome malicious files as seen in the image below.
- Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove this malicious files.
- Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the Buildathome infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove buildathome.info from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.
9 thoughts on “Remove Buildathome.info virus (Removal Guide)”
Omg thAnk you this works!!!!!
YOU’RE THE GREATEST !
lot of thankz
Thank you !!! helped me out.
Noticed pop ups appearing on a shared work computer, simply resetting internet explorer did the job! Thanks heaps :)
CURED!!……..Thanks very much. Excellent advice and easy to follow. 1st time fix.
this hleped me :)
Thanks for this! So far I haven’t encountered anymore pop ups but I will be back in case. Will be monitoring.