InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert is a potentially unwanted program that is designed to protect Yahoo Search and make sure this program remains installed and unchanged by other third party programs.
The InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo program is a part of the “Yahoo Search Protect” program, and is developed by InstallX, a company known for their malicious programs.
InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this program. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert is a virus.
This program is also bundled within the custom installer on many reputable download sites, so if you have downloaded a software from these websites, chances are that InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert was installed during the software setup process.
InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.
InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert is a web browser extension that will integrate itself into Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. The extension/toolbar will modify the browser’s search and home pages as well as various other features such as 404 erros and DNS redirections, etc as well as may change some browser settings that might cause lessen its security levels. This is a potentially unwanted program and may interfere with the functions of some of the browser’s normal features and web search behaviors. In many cases in addition to modify the search provider and default home pages, the toolbar will push additional advertisements to the browser.
When installed, the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert program will change the default search engine and home page to search.yahoo.com in Internet Explorer, Firefox or GoogleChrome, and if you try to revert to their default settings, this program will not allow you to perform these changes.
The text of the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert pop-up is:
Yahoo Serach Protector detected changes to your system search settings. Do you want to keep using YAHOO! Search or allow these changes?
InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo is bundled within the installer of many free programs, with the sole purpose of install Yahoo Search on your computer and making the removal process of this program more difficult.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo – Alert browser hijacker. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX(Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX from your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious programs from your computer
STEP 2: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
STEP 3: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX browser hijacker from your computer with AdwCleaner
STEP 4: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 5: Double-check for the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX infection with HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Uninstall InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious programs from your computer
In this first step, we will try to identify and remove any malicious program that might be installed on your computer.
- To uninstall the malicious program responsible for the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX redirect from Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the Start button, then click on the Control Panel menu option.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel” .Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there.
- When the Control Panel window opens click on the Uninstall a program option under Programs category. This option is shown by the arrow in the image below. If you are using the Classic View of the Control Panel, then you would double-click on the Programs and Features icon instead.
- When the Programs and Features or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo and any other program from InstallX.
To view the most recently installed programs, you can click on the “Installed On” column to sort your program by the installation date. Scroll though the list, and uninstall any unwanted or unknown programs.
Depending on what program has installed the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX adware infection, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can proceed with the next step.
If you are having issues while trying to uninstall the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX program, you can use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove this unwanted program from your machine.
STEP 2: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from Internet Explorer
You can reset Internet Explorer settings to return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC.
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the “gear icon” in the upper right part of your browser, then click again on Internet Options.
- In the “Internet Options” dialog box, click on the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Reset” button.
- In the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” section, select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
- When Internet Explorer has completed its task, click on the “Close” button in the confirmation dialogue box. You will now need to close your browser, and then you can open Internet Explorer again.
Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from Mozilla Firefox
If you’re having problems with Firefox, resetting it can help. The reset feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, web form auto-fill information, browsing history and open tabs.
- In the upper-right corner of the Firefox window, click the Firefox menu button (), the click on the “Help” () button.
- From the Help menu, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the “Reset Firefox” button in the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page.
- To continue, click on the “Reset Firefox” button in the new confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click on the “Finish“.
Note: Your old Firefox profile will be placed on your desktop in a folder named “Old Firefox Data“. If the reset didn’t fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created. If you don’t need this folder any longer, you should delete it as it contains sensitive information.
Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from Google Chrome
- Click on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three horizontal lines () .When the drop-down menu appears, select the option labeled Settings.
- Chrome’s Settings should now be displayed in a new tab or window, depending on your configuration. Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Show advanced settings link (as seen in the below example).
- Chrome’s advanced Settings should now be displayed. Scroll down until the Reset browser settings section is visible, as shown in the example below. Next, click on the Reset browser settings button.
- A confirmation dialog should now be displayed, detailing the components that will be restored to their default state should you continue on with the reset process. To complete the restoration process, click on the Reset button.
STEP 3: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX browser hijacker with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer and browser for InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious files that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the “Scan” button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the “Clean” button.
- AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the “OK” button.
AdwCleaner will now delete all detected adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the “OK” button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the “OK” button to allow AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
STEP 4: Remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus from your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free uses industry-leading technology to detect and remove all traces of malware, including worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware, and more.
It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts.
- You can download download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the below link.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- Once downloaded, close all programs, then double-click on the icon on your desktop named “mbam-setup-consumer-2.00.xx” to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
You may be presented with a User Account Control dialog asking you if you want to run this file. If this happens, you should click “Yes” to continue with the installation.
- When the installation begins, you will see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Setup Wizard which will guide you through the installation process.
To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your machine, keep following the prompts by clicking the “Next” button.
- Once installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program, and that a scan has never been run on your system. To start a system scan you can click on the “Fix Now” button.
Alternatively, you can click on the “Scan” tab and select “Threat Scan“, then click on the “Scan Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now check for updates, and if there are any, you will need to click on the “Update Now” button.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX virus. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is scanning it will look like the image below.
- When the scan has completed, you will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected. To remove the malicious programs that Malwarebytes Anti-malware has found, click on the “Quarantine All” button, and then click on the “Apply Now” button.
Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now quarantine all the malicious files and registry keys that it has found. When removing the files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot your computer, please allow it to do so.
After your computer will restart, you should open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform another “Threat Scan” scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 5: Double check for the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.). HitmanPro is designed to work alongside existing security programs without any conflicts. It scans the computer quickly (less than 5 minutes) and does not slow down the computer.
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double-click on the file named “HitmanPro.exe” (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or “HitmanPro_x64.exe” (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the “Next” button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the “Next” button, to remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX malware.
- Click on the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the Premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove InstallX Search Protect for Yahoo by InstallX hijacker from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.