TVGenie is an adware program that displays pop-up ads and advertising banners on Youtube, Amazon, Walmart and other websites that you are visiting
TVGenie pop-up ads will be shown as boxes containing various coupons that are available or as underlined keywords, which when clicked will display an advertisement that states it is brought to you by TVGenie.
TVGenie is an extension for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome that is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program. When you install these free programs, they will also install TVGenie as well. Some of the programs that are known to bundle TVGenie include 1ClickDownload, Superfish, Yontoo and FBPhotoZoom.
When you install TVGenie, you’ll agree with the following “Term of Service” conditions:
TV Genie is supported by advertising, which may include display, in-text and/or interstitial ads. Users may see additional display ads on websites that the product runs on or adds functionality to. You will see approximately 1 display ad per page on content sites; however, at times as many as 5 display advertisements per page. On search engines there may be a search app, which may display 3 text ads beneath the application. In addition, topics or keyword phrases are automatically matched and products or services relevant to those topics or keyword phrases will appear on the webpage as a double underline. TV Genie may also contain interstitial advertising where full-screen webpages are displayed between the current and destination page for a restricted amount of time.
These ads will be recognized as originating from TV Genie. The user will not be shown any material that may be considered pornographic, promotes violence or the use of firearms and contains obscene language. Ad optimizers will monitor the traffic and provide an ad inspector tool for quality assurance.
Once installed, whenever you will visit Expedia, Best Buy, Facebook or any other websites, TVGenie will display on product images a “See Similar” button, which when clicked will show you ads by TVGenie.
TVGenie may also display advertising banners on the webpages that you are visiting, and as you browse Internet, it will show coupons and other deals available on different websites.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this TVGenie adware. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
TVGenie – Virus Removal Guide
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove TVGenie from your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point STOP, and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Uninstall TVGenie programs from your computer
STEP 2: Remove TVGenie extensions from your web browser
STEP 3: Remove TVGenie adware with AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool
STEP 4: Remove TVGenie virus with Malwarebytes and HitmanPro
STEP 1 : Uninstall TVGenie from Windows
- To uninstall TVGenie from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for “control panel“. Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control Panel from there, then select Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall dealfairytb (deal-fairy.com) and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
Depending on what program has installed the TVGenie, the above programs may have a different name. If you cannot find any unwanted programs, then you can proceed with STEP 2.
STEP 2 : Remove the TVGenie from your web browser
Depending on what program has installed the TVGenie, this hijacker may install one or more browser extensions, which we will need to remove.
Remove TVGenie from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer,then click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then select Manage add-ons.
- From the Toolbars and Extensions tab, select TVGenie extension, then click on Disable.
Remove TVGenie from Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, then select Add-ons.
- Select the Extensions tab, then remove the TVGenie 2.6.20 extension from Mozilla Firefox.
Remove TVGenie from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
- In the Extensions tab,remove the TVGenie 2.6.20 extension by clicking on the Recycle Bin next to the plugin.
Please keep in mind that on some computers, this browser add-on might have a different name, if you can’t find TVGenie on your list, then carefully look for any other unknown or unwanted extension and remove it from your browser.
STEP 3: Remove TVGenie adware from your computer
To remove all the Conduit adware from your computer, we will need to run a scan with the AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool utilities.
Run a computer scan with AdwCleaner to remove TVGenie pop-up ads
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer for TVGenie files and registry keys, that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Search button as shown below.
The program will now start to search for TVGenie malicious files that may be installed on your computer. When it has finished it will display a notepad screen that contains a log file of all the TVGenie extensions, files, and registry keys that have been detected. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, please close the Notepad window and continue with the next step.
- To remove the TVGenie malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Delete button on the AdwCleaner screen.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
- AdwCleaner will now delete all detected adware from your computer. When it is done it will display an alert that explains what PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and Adware are. Please read through this information and then press the OK button. You will now be presented with an alert that states AdwCleaner needs to reboot your computer.
Please click on the OK button to let AdwCleaner reboot your computer.
Remove TVGenie popups with Junkware Removal Tool
Junkware Removal Tool is a powerful utility, which will remove TVGenie from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome, and will double-check for any other compromised Windows shortcuts.
- You can download the Junkware Removal Tool utility from the below link:
JUNKWARE REMOVAL TOOL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Junkware Removal Tool utility on your computer)
- Once Junkware Removal Tool has finished downloading, please double-click on the JRT.exe icon as seen below.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run Junkware Removal Tool, please allow it to run.
- Junkware Removal Tool will now start, and at the Command Prompt, you’ll need to press any key to perform a scan for the TVGenie virus.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to 10 minutes) depending on your system’s specifications.
- When the scan Junkware Removal Tool will be completed, this utility will display a log with the malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.
STEP 4: Remove TVGenie virus from your computer
Run a computer scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove TVGenie virus
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double-click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process, then at the last screen click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan, and then click on the Scan button to start searching for the TVGenie malicious files.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for TVGenie as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan has finished, click on the Show Results button.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the computer infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked), then click on the Remove Selected button.
Double-check for the TVGenie infection with HitmanPro
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link:
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- Double-click on the file named HitmanPro.exe (for 32-bit versions of Windows) or HitmanPro_x64.exe (for 64-bit versions of Windows). When the program starts you will be presented with the start screen as shown below.
Click on the Next button, to install HitmanPro on your computer.
- HitmanPro will now begin to scan your computer for TVGenie malicious files.
- When it has finished it will display a list of all the malware that the program found as shown in the image below. Click on the Next button, to remove TVGenie adware.
- Click on the Activate free license button to begin the free 30 days trial, and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the TVGenie infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future, and perform regular computer scans with HitmanPro.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove TVGenie virus from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.