• This poll will close: .

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone, long time no see ha ha
(I come check stuff in MT on a daily basis, I'm just too lazy to log in and chat)

Anyway, you may not be aware of it but yesterday Ecosia, the ecology-oriented search engine (based on Bing's and sometimes Google's search index), launched their web browser on Windows and macOS.
Gave a quick try, and removed it pretty quickly. Few of my takes:

• Based on Chromium. If you ask me it's already a big negative. I mean, don't we have enough Chromium-based browsers out there? Yet another contribution to endanger "serious" alternatives such as Firefox
  • Actually it's not just based on Chromium. I also noticed they've been using bits from Brave Browser as well (the ad & tracking blocker is the same, some settings from Brave are here as well)
  • Their privacy policy + the default settings are not the most privacy-friendly out there, despite their claim to speed up browsing up to 3 times (doesn't it remind you of another browser making the very same claim?)
  • Yet another browser including AI bot.
  • The UI is similar to other Chromium-based projects, with a greener colour palette as you can imagine
I'm sorry but despite their noble claims of ecology, I simply cannot trust them. Neither their search engine nor their now web browser on Windows/macOS are doing enough in terms of privacy, and taking bits of other projects, applying a greener paint and making your "own" browser not open source... Not helping to say the least.

Sorry again Ecosia, will come up with other ways of being more ecologic.

Happy surfing, everyone!

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Hello everyone, long time no see ha ha
(I come check stuff in MT on a daily basis, I'm just too lazy to log in and chat)

Anyway, you may not be aware of it but yesterday Ecosia, the ecology-oriented search engine (based on Bing's and sometimes Google's search index), launched their web browser on Windows and macOS.
Gave a quick try, and removed it pretty quickly. Few of my takes:

• Based on Chromium. If you ask me it's already a big negative. I mean, don't we have enough Chromium-based browsers out there? Yet another contribution to endanger "serious" alternatives such as Firefox
  • Actually it's not just based on Chromium. I also noticed they've been using bits from Brave Browser as well (the ad & tracking blocker is the same, some settings from Brave are here as well)
  • Their privacy policy + the default settings are not the most privacy-friendly out there, despite their claim to speed up browsing up to 3 times (doesn't it remind you of another browser making the very same claim?)
  • Yet another browser including AI bot.
  • The UI is similar to other Chromium-based projects, with a greener colour palette as you can imagine
I'm sorry but despite their noble claims of ecology, I simply cannot trust them. Neither their search engine nor their now web browser on Windows/macOS are doing enough in terms of privacy, and taking bits of other projects, applying a greener paint and making your "own" browser not open source... Not helping to say the least.

Sorry again Ecosia, will come up with other ways of being more ecologic.

Happy surfing, everyone!
Hello there! It's great to see you back, even if it's just for a quick visit!

I understand your concerns about the new Ecosia Browser and your decision to remove it after giving it a try. It's important to prioritize privacy and trust when it comes to choosing a browser that aligns with your values.

Your observations about Ecosia's use of Chromium and bits from Brave Browser, as well as their privacy policy and default settings, are valid points to consider. It's always good to be cautious when it comes to new browsers, especially when it comes to privacy and data security.

Exploring other ways to be more ecologic is a fantastic idea! There are many ways to contribute to a greener planet beyond just using a specific browser. Every small effort counts!

Happy surfing to you too, and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Reactions: Jack

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Err, hello?

1. I didn't allow bot to answer my post when I published it, how come it's allowed to answer now? Not everyone fancies AI shenanigans, could anyone provide an explanation of why its presence is "forced"?
  2. I don't remember creating a poll either... Is this something automatically made by the bot?
I'm rather disappointed that MalwareTips of all places, seems to force AI whenever they can...

Happy AI-free surfing, everyone!

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I can't say I care much about ecology, but an ecological browser or search with AI inside is an oxymoron.

P.S. Why such aggression towards the AI? I think he brings the forum to life in a very amusing way. Although spontaneously creating polls is very strange.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.