Serious Discussion Why do you feel you are Locked In to Windows ?

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I think many people feel locked into Windows due to its widespread use in the business world, the compatibility of many software applications, and the learning curve associated with transitioning to a new operating system.
Dittos to Bot's first two answers. Learning something new can be fun, so I have no problem with that one. But I don't feel locked in, it's more like Linus (Peanuts) blanket, or Kenny's woobie in Mr. Mom, I'm comfortable in using it. It's my preference :)

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Hi Home Users,

Why do you feel you are locked in to Windows ?
I think most office workers are locked in to Microsoft Office. My wife is an office worker and she hates all equivalent software on my Linux Desktop. I had used Linux before and have trouble understanding why good alternatives like Evolution and OnlyOffice (which look nearly the same as Microsoft Office) trigger so much irritation.

On the other hand, a friend of mine asked me to help put Brave on his Mac and to honest within 5 minutes I was annoyed and could not understand why so many people say Apple's are so easy to use. So the most important reason why people are locked-in to anything is that we all are creatures of habits and reluctant to change.

Victor M

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Victor M said:
I don't have any problem with Windows either, software wise. Just that I find my red team find security holes with ease.

Digmor Crusher said: No disagreement here, but isn't that why we are all here? :LOL:

That's my incentive to try alternatives. While most of the security problems can be fixed/mitigated, it requires constant monitoring. Monitoring is the best latest security approach. But that approach may be a result of some inherent security problem of Windows, like less than optimal security design being carried forward from past versions. And also due to undocumented MS programs and services calling outbound, and attackers being able to spoof MS addresses exploiting firewall statefulness. There is no such problem in Linux where all services and daemons behavior is documented.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Why do you feel you are locked in to Windows ?
Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So the most important reason why people are locked-in to anything is that we all are creatures of habits and reluctant to change.
Indeed, that and I've spent years gaining my intermediate level knowledge of Windows, e.g. the registry used to mystify me and now I have no problem changing something as needed. Don't think I'm up to more years of researching and learning Linux.

Mar 10, 2024
This problem you address with your thread, can be related to all other operating systems.

Windows is full of holes/vulnerability. It's not this that makes it highly targeted though as much as the largest user base. It's not that hackers can not penetrate Linux or Mac it's that these users do not represent a large enough portion to make it worthwhile.

You also have to ask yourself what sets these operating systems apart security wise.

Do you believe Linux to be more secure because by default it restricts permissions? Would you believe Microsoft is actually designed to be run this way, but most home users are unaware or find it an inconvenience to set a admin account and the create standard accounts for the rest of the users.

Usability wise installing and using applications for average users is simply much easier on Windows. Messing with old packages, broken decencies and incompatibilities found in the Linux environment is beyond their capabilities.

Convenience is the word here that most would feel applies best. They don't want to be bothered learning something new. They just want to climb on that system and do what they always do.

Personally I grew past all this long ago. I not only have no problem learning, as I do daily. I have no need of windows and it's irritations. I personally find I can fix issues easier within the Linux environment then on Windows. Many times in windows it's a matter of waiting on companies or Microsoft itself to push a fix, where as most the time in Linux, you can find workarounds on the spot.

I have not found any software on Windows that can not be replaced via other software in the Linux realm.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I don't completely dislike Windows either but am disappointed with MS' recent antics. They kept forcing unwanted bloatware and now are really pushing AI. I don't want anything to do with AI. I first saw it coming last year and read on other forums people talking about Ubuntu. Like a lot of people I had no idea what Ubuntu was but then I tried Mint and thought it was good but still went back and forth with Windows if for no other reason than it was just more familiar.

With all of MS shenanigans now I made a permanent switch to Mint maybe a month ago and am very happy with it. I have learned what I need to know to make it work the way I want. I think a lot of people are locked into Windows because like me, they never heard of Linux in any distro so they really are unaware of any alternative and don't want to try anything new. My wife is like that. She kind of rolls her eyes and shuts me out if I mention anything about Linux. She is happy with Windows. I told her there are big changes coming to Windows but she really does not care. One day soon she may have a change of heart.

C.H.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I would never use linux because I would have less knowledge than windows and worse compatibility for some software I use that are windows only. Sure emulation probably is possible but why bother.
Now about apple I would use it as it's an OS of very specific hardware so it should be with better optimisations and less issues. Compatibility will again be a problem but the thing stopping me is price. I really don't want to be paying apple prices even if I can afford it. Have better ways to use my money.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.