Question Which Windows 11 Pre-Installed Microsoft Apps You Remove on Every New Install?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
A default installation of Windows 11 includes dozens of Microsoft apps. Which ones are worth keeping, and which ones should you uninstall?

Reactions: Dave Russo

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Which ones are worth keeping and which do you uninstall?

Answer: none

"He likes Linux"

🤔😉🙃🤪😁🤣
I’m trying to return to the more neophyte understanding of computers while only retaining the safe habits. No need for tweaking or obsessing. My time is better spent elsewhere (definitely not on Linux).

Last edited:

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
No need for tweaking or obsessing. My time is better spent elsewhere
You can carefully prep your setup, harden it and install all necessary applications and so on, then make a golden drive image. Then you can simply re-image with that golden image whenever you need a clean machine, no? No tradeoffs necessary.

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Windows 11 is a real mystery for me. I keep reading everywhere that the OS is full of bloatware, but when I bought a new laptop and installed it, exact number of bloatware apps was 0.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. And I didn't even had to set the region to English (Europe) or English (World). Now I wonder if that's because I didn't have internet connection during installation. But sure Windows would automatically download those after installation when connected to the internet like Windows 10.

In the end, I just had to adjust settings as I wished and uninstall Edge. That was it.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You can carefully prep your setup, harden it and install all necessary applications and so on, then make a golden drive image. Then you can simply re-image with that golden image whenever you need a clean machine, no? No tradeoffs necessary.
I’ve done that. But usually by the time I actually need to reimage so much has changed it’s not that useful. Also I don’t care much about default installed apps. Just disable or hide what I don’t use as I go if it’s in the way. No fuss.

Mar 10, 2024
I’m trying to return to the more neophyte understanding of computers while only retaining the safe habits. No need for tweaking or obsessing. My time is better spent elsewhere (definitely not on Linux).
Lol you know I couldn't resist. I do very much understand what you are saying. I run a Chromebook just for that reason. On days I do not want to sit at or have other things i wish to do, Chromebook is simple, straight forward, I get on, do what I need and log off. On days I feel like tweaking, learning or getting my geek on, I restore a tini file snapshot of my Linux lab and have at it. Best of both worlds really.

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
A default installation of Windows 11 includes dozens of Microsoft apps. Which ones are worth keeping, and which ones should you uninstall?
I got rid of the in-built and new apps, except for these few.

App Installer
Calculator
HEIF Image Extension
HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Store
Paint
Raw Image Extension
Store Experience Host
VP9 Video Extensions
Web Media Extensions
Web Image Extensions
Windows Notepad
Windows Security
Windows Web Experience Pack
Windows Terminal

Last edited:

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
I got rid of the in-built and new apps, except for these few.

App Installer
Calculator
HEIF Image Extension
HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Store
Paint
Raw Image Extension
Store Experience Host
VP9 Video Extensions
Web Media Extensions
Web Image Extensions
Windows Notepad
Windows Security
Windows Web Experience Pack
Windows Terminal
What do you use to remove programs that Microsoft does not want you to remove?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Do you know which update brings it?
Not certain as there were 3 Preview updates installed here beginning with the first on 3/1/24. You'd need to research it.
2024-02 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034848)
2024-03 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5035942)
2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036980)

Last edited:
Reactions: Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Not certain as there were 3 Preview updates installed here beginning with the first on 3/1/24. You'd need to research it.
2024-02 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034848)
2024-03 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5035942)
2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036980)
I have all three installed and no signs of Copilot.

Well, one less thing I have to disable... 😆

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.