Serious Discussion “Strongest” security solution.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Hello everyone. I plan on getting an extremely powerful PC for gaming and other things, and I want to protect it using the strongest suite out there. Performance of the AV shouldn’t be a issue as the PC is going to be top of the line in terms of specs.

Some ones I’m looking at are: Checkpoint Harmony, Deep Instinct, Kaspersky Default Deny, but I want truely the best.

I’m looking at the strongest in terms of raw detections of malware, PUA, exploits, and phishing detections, although phishing can be protected against via Malwarebytes browser guard and Bitdefender TrafficLight.

If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello! It's great that you're looking to protect your powerful PC with the strongest security suite available. All the solutions you mentioned have strong reputations in the cybersecurity industry. However, keep in mind that the "best" security suite is subjective and can vary based on individual needs and preferences.

To ensure the highest level of protection, you could consider a multi-layered approach by combining a robust antivirus solution like Kaspersky or Checkpoint Harmony with additional security tools like Malwarebytes browser guard and Bitdefender TrafficLight. This combination can enhance your defense against a wide range of threats.

Ultimately, it's vital to regularly update your software, maintain good browsing habits, and exercise caution when downloading files or clicking on unfamiliar links to maximize your overall security.

Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Hello everyone. I plan on getting an extremely powerful PC for gaming and other things, and I want to protect it using the strongest suite out there. Performance of the AV shouldn’t be a issue as the PC is going to be top of the line in terms of specs.

Some ones I’m looking at are: Checkpoint Harmony, Deep Instinct, Kaspersky Default Deny, but I want truely the best.

I’m looking at the strongest in terms of raw detections of malware, PUA, exploits, and phishing detections, although phishing can be protected against via Malwarebytes browser guard and Bitdefender TrafficLight.

If you have any suggestions, let me know!
Your strongest security solution is sitting on your shoulders, develop it and enhance it ;)

silver0190

Level 1
Oct 3, 2023
Hi, in my opinion a good combination of cybersecurity-based programs could be:

- Kaspersky Plus (annual subscription payment)
- Malwarebytes (for offline use)
- Mozilla Firefox as Browser with Ublock Origin extension
- A good router with a good security system. I've heard good things about Asus with its "AI Protection".

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
There is something to be said about automatic remdiation, (eg anti-malware) they cannot be 100% relied upon. The latest greatest tech can protect you well enough for a while, perhaps only a short while, and before long you will have to go looking again and spending money. But if you learn how to Monitor your systems for abnormal events, like with a SIEM and maybe an EDR, then your spent money will run a bit longer. And you don't have to spend a lot on name brands like Splunk, there are open source ones. Plus if you harden your systems manually yourself, you will know and understand what attack surface is left over, and you can devote defenses towards guarding those left over openings. And before you rest and gloat over what you have done to secure your systems, check with a known security framework like CIS or PCI-DSS to cover yourself, they serve as guiding posts lest you miss something. You may think that's just for organizations, but who lives in a one PC home nowadays. When you are interested in security, you might as well install agents on all PCs and guard your entire family with the SIEM. When you are responsible for not just yourself, you'll gain more holistic security experience, other than just running after anti-evasion technology. And you will be encountering a wall called a budget :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Comodo Firewall provides a free and powerful security solution with simple configurations... Comodo Firewall configurations are as elegant as a symphony yet as simple as a flick of a switch! 😉

I suggest using Comodo Firewall if you are familiar with it or willing to learn the basics... Comodo Firewall will guide you and teach you the dance of the digital realm! 😊

Obsidian Ant

Oct 22, 2023
I am also a gamer using a high end PC from 2020. I have been experimenting a little over the years but I have always gone back to these products.
I use Kaspersky Internet Security, Voodooshield/Lockdown. Those 2 programs work very well together. I normally have Kaspersky on default settings and i've enabled its KSN. I have Lockdown in "Smart Mode" all the time but i have been asking about its "Auto Pilot" feature to get more details about it.
I also use a VPN, IVPN I normally go with. ProtonVPN is also really good if you have 2 monitors and wanna watch netflix while playing something like Elite Dangerous or EVE Online.

Hope this helps

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Over complicating the situation. It should not matter whether you have the most extreme or generic gaming PC.

Keeping it simple is the best protection method.

Only download from safe and trusted storefronts.

Create regular backups of data.

Downloading third-party mods, clients, and Warez all pose security risks.

Don't mix two extremes of computer activities on the same device or network.

TLDR; keep it simple, don't be stupid, make backups.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
CyberLock/Voodooshield is also my must have on all systems.

Backups are also a must; data backups everyday and drive images upon configuration change. If configuration change is a security improvement - recreate hardened golden image.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Analogy time...

Lets say you have a business, a building and you need to secure it. There are two basic paths you can take from this point forward.

-You can fortify your entry points "doors/windows" ect, create a choke point and monitor everything coming and going, being picky about what you allow in and allow to happen in your building leveraging full control of your situation.

-You buy the best gadgetry money can buy, you install and go about your day falsely thinking it is enough, it will protect you, as if there will be no one out there realizing your not paying attention and relying on something they can and will find a way to bypass "Cameras and alarms" by tricking/deceiving you.

Apply this to your computer. Learn all you can about vulnerabilities of your system and software you use. As already stated many times, learn what to click, what not too, and where to get applications, and which are safe and pose avenues of breach. Start with the basics and move forward. There are many who believe the basics are not enough, and that is ridiculous, the basics are the base of any good security solution.

Above all else, keep back ups externally of all important information and documentation so if anything does happen, you lose nothing. A hardware failure for instance is something most do not foresee and can happen unexpectedly, things happen, be covered.

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
As an anti-virus solution you can use Kaspersky Standard/ Plus/ Premium all editions are pretty much the same in terms of security but Standard doesn't come with VPN so if you need that use the other 2. Now after installing Kaspersky enter in AV settings and change heuristic from low to medium, and in web anti-virus enable the "detect legitimate software that can be used by cybercriminals to damage your PC and data". Also use a clean USB to back up your files as long as you create some new important document. With that I think you are good to go, this is what I use in my gaming PC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.