Guide | How To "10 Simple Tips to Bank Safely Online"

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
hfef301htjiftlwc91nl.jpg

One of the issues I’m passionate about, as an online-security analyst, is that of banking safely online; so I recommend the following simple tips to help ensure your security in cyberspace.

1. Wired ethernet link. This offers more security than does a powerline or Wi-Fi network. In fact, the powerline carries your data via electrical wires—not secure at all. Data from wires can leak into adjacent homes, and Wi-Fi signals are out in the open, literally. An ethernet attack, however, may require a home break-in by the crook, and then he has to set up his device.
  2. Nevertheless, powerline and Wi-Fi do come with encryption capabilities; encryption scrambles data for safer online banking. Any attacker would need your password to infiltrate. But remember this: Wi-Fi’s WEP, which is obsolete, can be hacked into, even though it’s still offered as an option for router setup.
  3. Do not leave a router on its default password. Otherwise, crooks can get in and redirect your traffic to who knows where.
  4. Never trust third-party Wi-Fi hotspots.
  5. Make sure that the financial site you visit has a padlock icon and “https” before the URL address; this means it’s secure and legitimate. “Http” (no “s”) is not secure.
  6. Keep up to date on security updates for your browser and operating system. This will protect against a crook who uses a keylogger to track your keystrokes. With a keylogger, a hacker can get your keystroke pattern and will figure out your passwords.
  7. Never click on links in e-mails. Even if it’s supposedly from your bank. Never.
  8. To really beef up online banking security, use a separate computer just for online banking.
  9. Enable your financial institution’s two-step verification. This is typing in a password that’s one-time, that gets texted to you. Unfortunately, many banks don’t have this tactic. But if you’re concerned with banking safely on the Internet, see if your institution does. If you can’t find this information on their web site, call them.
  10. One more simple tip about safe online banking: Hotspot Shield VPN service guards your entire online experience when you’re using unprotected networks, such as at coffee houses, hotels, airports, etc., be they wired or wireless.
You can have peace of mind that your web sessions (downloads, filling out forms, shopping, banking) are safe and secure with the https-protected tool. With Hotspot Shield, all mobile data is encrypted. Hotspot Shield also has a mobile version, and it compresses bandwidth so that you can download nearly double the content at the same cost. This VPN service has saved 102.9 million megabytes.

Source

Reactions: Lailson

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Why does it have to be "Hotspot Shield" i mean i hate this product is there anything better?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi venustus, & thanks for sharing these 10 tips!:) Do you know of "Zenmate" extension for Chrome and, if so, does it function similarly to HotSpot Shield? I've noticed member listing it (Zenmate) on more & more configurations. It's free, so might it also be (essentially) another VPN?o_O I've been using it this evening, temporarily since I've been browsing with Comodo Dragon + Sandboxie. The Zenmate symbol indicates my connection origin is located in New York, USA. I wonder, do people are those New York indicated as being in California!?:rolleyes: :p

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi venustus, & thanks for sharing these 10 tips!:) Do you know of "Zenmate" extension for Chrome and, if so, does it function similarly to HotSpot Shield? I've noticed member listing it (Zenmate) on more & more configurations. It's free, so might it also be (essentially) another VPN?o_O I've been using it this evening, temporarily since I've been browsing with Comodo Dragon + Sandboxie. The Zenmate symbol indicates my connection origin is located in New York, USA. I wonder, do people are those New York indicated as being in California!?:rolleyes: :p
Hi!:)
I like ZenMate, and use it, especially for youtube videos not showing in my location!
Works very well,but there are reports that it leaks your ip address!
Anyway I like it:)
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/28/zenmate-for-chrome-is-a-vpn-with-easy-location-switching/

Thanks!;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014

I'm using hotspot shield elite verson but problem is when i connect it my pings stops responding but my net works only for 15-20 minutes & then i need to pause hotspot shield to back my net connection again lol btw i found a cool free vpn, it's speed is fast & u can choose from many servers but problem is it kept logs coz if someone do any illegal things they will give information to police or government if they want. well i just normal surf so that's not a concern for me. the best is it's server not located in USA so NSA can't spy easily.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Some very important tips are missing:
1. Always use a secure password manager that encrypts your log on info and passwords like LastPass.
Browser password managers are not secure and can leak data.

2. Always make sure that you are on your correct banking site by checking the url in the address bar of your browser.
The most common way crooks get your banking info is using fake bank sites that look identical to the original, all you have to do is enter your info into the fake banking site and the crooks now have your info to drain your banking account. Phishing is always easier for the crooks because they don't have to do much work, you give them what they need because they don't have to hack it. Secure password managers like LastPass can tell the difference between your banking site and fake banking if you have previously saved your data to it and will not automatically fill in your data. So when you visit our banking site and your secure password will not fill in your data that is the first indication that you might not be on your correct banking site.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 178

anyway modern banking sites use virtual keyboards or assimilate so keyloggers will difficultly record your keystrokes (unless it does continuous screenshots of the desktop).

just be sure you are in the genuine site.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.