Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
IG8oVar.png

Adblocking estimated to cost publishers nearly $22 billion during 2015

The advertising industry could be in for a rude awakening, with the growing adblock trend snatching £14 billion ($22 billion US) in revenue from the web in 2015. This figure is expected to grow, with a report from PageFair and Adobe claiming a potential £50 billion in lost advertising revenue by 2016 worldwide.
In the UK, adblock services grew up 82 per cent, with 12 million users deciding to block adverts. AdBlock Plus is the most popular service, which provides a large database of blocked adverts alongside some approved adverts that are not obnoxious.
Across Europe, the growth is much lower, with only 35 per cent growth in adblock over the past year. That accounts for 77 million Europeans blocking adverts. The United States also noted 42 per cent growth in adblock users.

“It is tragic that adblock users are inadvertently inflicting multi-billion dollar losses on the very websites they most enjoy,” said PageFair CEO and co-founder Sean Blanchfield. “With ad blocking going mobile, there’s an eminent threat that the business model that has supported the open web for two decades is going to collapse. PageFair is working with thousands of publishers to securely display user-friendly advertising and keep free websites in business. I hope this report will prompt more editors, website owners, and publishers to join with us to combat the problem.”

View Full Story

View 2015 PageFair Adblocking Report

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
The main problem is Greed.

I don't mind getting one or two non-intrusive Ads per page. But now the internet is full of so much Ads that if I don't use Ad-BLocker I will have to use a magnifying glass to find the actual content that I was looking for.

So sadly I had to block all of them.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Advertisers need to blame advertisers: they just don't know when to quit.

I block them because they are annoying; blocking that type of malware is a bonus.

Are they really surprised that people don't like to be annoyed?

How much money is lost due to spam, invented and used by advertisers? This is the type of people we're dealing with--no sympathy here.

If Shakespeare were alive today, perhaps he would have written, "The first thing we do is, we kill all the marketers."

Word-of-Mouth, user reviews and recommendations are my 'advertising'.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
More like,

$22 billion in advertising revenue will be lost because of Greedy Advertisers.

I don't want to watch a 5 minute ad for viewing a 30 second video on youtube.

I still remember the days when there were no ad-blockers and there were more content than ads.

Ad-blockers emerged because of the need. If there weren't need for ad-blockers, then no one would have spent their time building such software.

Even Privacy softwares. There were no privacy add-ons for browsers during the Firefox 1/2 era.

The only add-on I remember running during the Firefox 1/2 era was fasterfox.

Reactions: Andytay70 and Kuttz

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
According to Simon Crosby from Bromium, Malvertising is responsible for more than 80% of all malware dropped on endpoints protected by their software these days.

I prefer to stick it on with sites I don't trust and sites I do trust I'll leave it off to support them.

The problem is, it's still third-party, so it doesn't matter if the website is trustworthy or not. Thanks to advertising every legitimate website is a potential poisoned watering hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sloth and frogboy

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I personally turn off ads because of the long and annoying ads like the 30 seconds one on youtube and some other sites that have huge pop up ads that block the entire screen, seem suspicious and also are very hard to close off. If ads played nice and were just in the background, maybe in the corner of my eye I would probably live with that.

That being said if there is an adblocking solution for iOS in the future I would definitely install it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Sloth and frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

Kill the Ads !! kill'em All !! ads don't have the right to survive !!

i think you get my opinion.

ads should be spoiled when the page is loaded , then a small clue of what it advertise could be mentioned.

Reactions: McLovin and Sloth

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Where to start ...

To keep it short, stop harassing users with annoying adds and post some none annoying interesting JPG images for product or service you are advertising and nobody will use adblocker.

The more annoying ads are, the more people will use adblockers and that on the other hand could bring some valuable websites down because they depend on advertising to keep it running.

I'm thinking that more people would actually look at advertisement if you put a button with appeal to look at them and in that way to support website rather than to annoy website visitors with today ANNOYING flashy blinking adds.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well its for user rights choice, from ease of browsing up to security concern; because advertisement does not match to what actual concepts but rather focus on money talks. Due to aggressiveness of pop ups where better yet avoid for any possible like drive by exploits without user interaction however that varies on the website you visit.

Adblockers are just design to make it easier than do the manual from Host File, so a trend that will never easily vanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.