24-Year-Old Who Covered A Grenade To Save His Friend Will Reportedly Receive The Medal Of Honor

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
screen_shot_2014_03_05_at_10_57_46_am.png

Marine Corps veteran William Kyle Carpenter will become the Marine's third Medal of Honor recipient since the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Marine Corps Times, citing unnamed officials.http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/art...arpenter-will-receive-MoH-heroism-Afghanistan
Carpenter, a medically retired corporal who's 24 now, has been praised publicly since reports emerged that he risked his own life to save his friend.

Hope Hodge Seck, of the Marine Corps Times, reports:

Carpenter's Medal of Honor nomination stems from reports that, as a 21-year-old lance corporal, he intentionally covered a grenade to save the life of his friend, Lance Cpl. Nicholas Eufrazio on Nov. 21, 2010, as the two Marines were standing guard on a rooftop in the Marjah district of Afghanistan's Helmand province. Both men survived the blast, but were badly wounded.

Carpenter - whose Medal of Honor has not been officially announced - had serious injuries, including the loss of his right eye, the blowing out of his right ear drum, a fractured nose, and destruction of his lower jaw and cheek bones. Carpenter's face is marked by shrapnel scars from the grenade's explosion.

Lance Corporal Eufrazio was rendered unable to speak until late 2012 due to his own injuries.

Carpenter has made amazing strides in recovery since 2010. He's now able to participate in activities that many would have found impossible given his injuries, including doing pull-ups after having his right arm broken in more than 30 places.

Carpenter's story of friendship, sacrifice, and recovery has turned him into an Internet celebrity. Currently, his Facebook page Operation Kyle, which documented his road to recovery, has over 13,000 likes.

Speaking to the Marine Corps Times, Carpenter said "I'm still here and kicking and, you know, I have all my limbs so you'll never hear me complain."

Carpenter was previously honored in his native South Carolina in the form of a resolution that thanked him for his heroism.

Source- http://www.businessinsider.in/24-Ye...e-The-Medal-Of-Honor/articleshow/31492345.cms

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*Deep breath* This is a true and ongoing story of heroism, and is a moving reminder for each of us how there is an intrinsic value and meaning to the life we are given.

Last edited:

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
Soldiers arnt beautiful! Thats just a fact. If u thing they are beautiful than u have no good humanity.

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Ill thing u dont understand the System..

I understand it. Without the army. Lots of wars would have been lost and. Hitler would have won. Bin Laden would be building a force of terror just now. The army is necessary. Not every action done is right but then again I doubt you are so perfect.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Why u give a Soldier respect? Soldiers dont deserve any respect.

I served 7 years in the army, and have been stationed in the Balkans, Middle east, Africa and South America.
You say soldiers do not deserve any respect, that instantly means that you do not deserve ANY protection when war is at your doorstep.
Because that same soldier that you deem not worthy of respect, will be that same soldier that brings you humanitarian aid, that will protect you, that will fight for you AND if time has come will die for you.

I am aware that I am writing a VERY clear reply to your comment, and I intent to be as clear as possible on this matter.
Blame politics, Blame the world (Including yourself) Blame anyone you like about wars and conflicts , but keep on thing in mind when you are on the receiving end of a crisis, either war, conflict or a disaster then you want a the guy displayed above to save your life.
He does that without asking, he does that NOT because he has been ordered but he does it out of respect, compassion and love for the persons next to him, and on top of that he was willing to sacrifice his life so others could life.
If that's not worthy enough to deserve your respect? Then you have some serious issues man. (shame on you)

Look around you, I am sure you got friends, or family or related people you know, How can you not give a soldier respect if that same soldier might be the person who just saved your family after hell has come to your doorstep.
Is that not the greatest gift a unknown person can give you? does that not deserve your respect?

I am seriously amazed that you could make such comment, people like you..... skip that.
I am done talking before I say something bad. <facepalm>

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why u give a Soldier respect? Soldiers dont deserve any respect.
Soldiers arnt beautiful! Thats just a fact. If u thing they are beautiful than u have no good humanity.
Ill thing u dont understand the System..
There is no need to post these comments.Your reply should be about the article and not other members posts.If this is the way you feel then you should probably just refrain from commenting.Please reference the following:

http://malwaretips.com/pages/rules/

II. Code of Conduct

With that being said,he displayed an act of unselfish heroism and deserves the Medal Of Honor.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.