3.2 billion people will be online by the end of 2015, 2 billion from developing countries

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
A report on internet usage worldwide released by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) says that 3.2 billion people will be using the internet by the end of 2015.

The report, which is released yearly, details trends in ICT growth and the connectivity gaps remaining worldwide. This year’s release shows a significant amount of progress made since 2000, but still a decent road ahead in developing countries.

For every internet user in the developed world there are now two online in the developing world, meaning there are 4 billion people in developing countries who are still not connected/online.

The ITU expects there will be more than 7 billion active cellular connections by the end of 2015, which has grown from 738 million in 2000. 2G networks now cover 95 percent of the population while 3G networks only cover 69 percent but are slowly expanding to rural locations.

Internet usage is highest in Europe, with 82.1 percent of people connected at home, followed by America at 60 percent.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-26-at-1.50.15-%F0%9F%8C%99.png

Article

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Where is India & china in the list? They both combined more then 2.5 billion .
Apparently, they were not included because they block certain websites!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Because we people can't access Facebook Twitter Youtube and Google. T_T

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Higher internet speed and reliable service reflects the economy of the country so it should not suprise for developed countries however the opposite are always poor where internet speed is low from average + expensive fees.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Netherlands as the third fastest and the third/fourth most connected nation in the world is not on the list either.
This list is just a indicator geographically and is not a guide who's internet is faster or not.. or who has more or not.
For speed and such matters use the stats from Akmai.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Where is India & china in the list? They both combined more then 2.5 billion .

Both nations have MASSIVE population, yet generally VERY poor internet services and way below average internet speeds compared to any nation on the list.
Its going to take years for both nations to have total internet coverage, considering there are places where they do not even have electric and drinking water. They are getting there but its going to take time..

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Btw the picture shows advertised speeds? Here in the Netherlands ZIGGO is going to bring 500mb internet to home users (Broadband)
For companies however faster speeds are already used widely.
Ziggo and KPN are by far the biggest ISP's here and its almost impossible to buy a internet connection slower then 50mb down and 25mb up.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Where I live ISP's throttle speeds based on time of day,demand etc!They are getting more customers signing up to"fast" broadband without the infrastructure update to facilitate this growing demand>>all about $$$

This made me laugh but it's unfortunately true!!:mad:
http://www.artswritinglife.com/the-internet-is-dead-in-australia/

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Now this would be topic hijacking and i am sorry but this is relavant and makes me laugh... if this is possible... then why the F are well all still anywhere between 1mb and 300mb internet speeds: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...d-carry-all-the-internet-traffic-single-fiber

Because not even South Korea is going to spend the ungodly amount of money it would take to provide that kind of service to the general public. Look at it this way, we can't do anything with that kind of speed anyway. Almost every ISP and mobile provider has data caps, with the ones who don't currently planning on it in the near future (like, a year or two tops soon). Speed isn't going to change the data amount, so, sure, you can download gigabyte files in a few seconds..but it will still be charged to you if you go over your cap. Web services are going to have to adapt to that or go out of business, so don't worry about your HD streams needing a speed boost. The way ISPs are going, we'll all be hearing that old friend the dialup screech in a few years.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should agree to @comfortablynumb15, the mere fact data capping is the standardize way for fair usage policy to limit the entire transmission however price and its conditions will be the problem and sometimes it makes a strategy from ISP to confuse/ or likely trick the claims when the limit reach. *

* Based on one of my classmate's testimony about the problem of data capping as their claims condition which differ on actual result

The bad thing for implementation of data capping from ISP is there a condition as when you reach the limit, they will terminate your internet connection for a month and that's the time your limit capacity is increase. **

** A problem when a user does not abuse the usage of internet connection and reach unintentional will make it a trouble enough

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Both nations have MASSIVE population, yet generally VERY poor internet services and way below average internet speeds compared to any nation on the list.
Its going to take years for both nations to have total internet coverage, considering there are places where they do not even have electric and drinking water. They are getting there but its going to take time..
I know but the thread is about how many peoples will be online by the end 2015 , poor net or high speed net, it's not matter according to thread.

Reactions: Venustus

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I know but the thread is about how many peoples will be online by the end 2015 , poor net or high speed net, it's not matter according to thread.

Yes but not in terms of numbers... but in terms of percentage of the population.
Here in the Netherlands we have virtually 120% coverage and in terms of percentage per population we have nearly 100% (The few that do not are either kids or old/sick people) while in china only a fraction of their massive pop is online.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I should agree to @comfortablynumb15, the mere fact data capping is the standardize way for fair usage policy to limit the entire transmission however price and its conditions will be the problem and sometimes it makes a strategy from ISP to confuse/ or likely trick the claims when the limit reach. *

* Based on one of my classmate's testimony about the problem of data capping as their claims condition which differ on actual result

The bad thing for implementation of data capping from ISP is there a condition as when you reach the limit, they will terminate your internet connection for a month and that's the time your limit capacity is increase. **

** A problem when a user does not abuse the usage of internet connection and reach unintentional will make it a trouble enough

Yeah i know they use to cap internet here like 10 years ago. Now if you buy 200 real mb's download speed then you get like 190mb which is great considering you always lose some speed.
No limits, not data cap no #####..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.