A general antivirus comparison!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volnus

May 11, 2015
They are taking the average from several different av-labs for instance.

For instance, Norton which was only tested by AV-Test and Dennis, is being pinned against companies such as Vipre who was not tested by Dennis but was tested by Av-Comparatives and VB100.

I think it would only be fair if we compared companies based on their scores from 1 entity that they all share (in this case some programs would need to be dropped).. But it is not fair to take the average of these scores for the fact they have different testing procedures, and some programs which were tested in more places such as Vipre might do poorly on one test in their case it was the AV-Test but scored well in both VB and AV-Comparatives.

How is it fair then to take the average with such an outlier? I think it would be rather unfair to say that those three companies are the winner given the data \0

The various data from different tests and the different charts make it not only confusing for the reader but even more so to draw a conclusion. Not to mention that Tencent in one of the charts scores lower than Microsoft (that's an issue in its own regard lol) yet it is using the same core technology as Kingsoft for quite some time ever since they purchased an extremely large stake in the company.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Who knows, I might just be nitpicking lol.
You are not nitpicking! Those are fair concerns.
But still most vendors wouldn't show up if they only included ones tested by all labs and the winners still wouldn't change... ;)
Also Tencent doesn't do worse than MS Essentials on protection but rather because of their poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.