Mini Spy

Latest Threads

All-In-One Computers Are Useless

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shadow King, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Shadow King

Shadow King Regular Member

All-In-One Computers
    I am more worried about all-in-one computers than touch interfaces. I have seen some reports that LCD screens could last for up to 20 years. We all know that even the best of computers become functionally obsolete in three to five years. If you buy an all-in-one computer, your screen is going to outlast your computer by more than a decade.

Our family has purchased seven iMacs since 1998. All have been retired except my iLemon which is just waiting for my new Mac Mini’s arrival to give up the ghost. All the screens were functioning perfectly when we gave up on the computers and recycled them.

When my new MacMini shows up this week it will be hooked up to an Apple 20-inch flat panel Cinema Display that I purchased in December 2004 for close to $1,000. I suspect the old screen will outlast the new MacMini. The iMac I bought in 2010 will be our last all-in-one computer.

Touchscreen Price/Reliability Not A Big Issue

I doubt that touchscreen pricing and reliability are issues that are going to heavily weigh on the success of Windows 8. Touchscreens have proven themselves in some very rugged scenarios and the prices are dropping quickly.

The key point for the Windows 8 user interface isn't worrying about too much dependence on touch vs. the mouse. It's about whether the user interface is simple to use and doesn’t confuse us with too much choice.

So far I am not enthusiastic about the latest releases from either Microsoft or Apple in that regard. Maybe I will go have a look at KDE in the Linux world. It is hard to believe that Linux has come so far that I might be looking at it as relief from Mac OS X or Windows 8, but who knows?

2. WinAndLinuxTutorials

WinAndLinuxTutorials Community Superstar Trusted Member

I have proven that! :D :p To see whether something is durable or not, give it to me and I will give you my feedback. :D

The plastic used in resistive touchscreens is really very durable when talking about impacts. I have dropped my Samsung Champ on its face over 20 times (I have owned it since 1 year and 3 months) mostly from a height of more than 3 feet, But they are very easily scratchable. Yesterday I dropped it and the chassis got seperated from the phone. Until now everything is good. :D