App Review An Emsisoft Emergency Kit Quickie

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks. This tells us one thing, that Emsisoft did not clean the system. Now do the same test with NVRT, NPE, Eset Online Scanner and Malwarebytes, then and only then will we be able to tell how effective each is compared to their peers against that certain type of malware.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Nice review, I think you did a second opinion scanners review some time ago. I've found NPE to be a bit quicker but having never found anything malware on my system, I can only go with what others suggest.Though I am protected by CF, VS/CL and DefenderUI so doubtful anything would get past those layers. WFC was cause of some net lag.

+1 with what @Digmor Crusher suggests.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@cruelsister you're right, as it has been mentioned recently. Nice of you in keeping track of that. In the past, it seems like it's received tepid, 50/50 approval rating, others opting for the better 2nd opinion scanners as Digmor Crusher mentioned. It was a nice reminder, a bit of a wake-up call for those of us, including myself, who needed to be reminded of not leaning on EEK too heavily..if at all?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Emsisoft fanboys are plotting their revenge 🤣

oRubKKB.png

Is it just me, or does Lana sound a bit like Neil on the track.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Would definitely appreciate a similar test with X-Sec @cruelsister

is X-Sec only an on-demand scanner? I'm willing to try it here if it's not real-time, (of course no video from me, perhaps just a comment) is it Chinese?

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
is X-Sec only an on-demand scanner? I'm willing to try it here if it's not real-time, (of course no video from me, perhaps just a comment) is it Chinese?
It's a second opinion scanner and doesn't have real-time protection. It uses it's own cloud and heuristic engine and Rising Antivirus Engine + Rising Antivirus Cloud engine. I don't know any other scanner that uses Rising Engine except X-Sec. To be fair I don't really know where the developer is located but he is active on MalwareTips:

@xywcloud

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's a second opinion scanner and doesn't have real-time protection. It uses it's own cloud and heuristic engine and Rising Antivirus Engine + Rising Antivirus Cloud engine. I don't know any other scanner that uses Rising Engine except X-Sec. To be fair I don't really know where the developer is located but he is active on MalwareTips:

@xywcloud
I downloaded X-sec, this VM blocked it at every attempt to unzip, to run, etc, despite me removing security obstacles one by one by one... I finally gave up, and I'll leave X-sec to Shadowra.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

@xywcloud
One big issue with Rising's engine is that is has major issues with false positives.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I downloaded X-sec, this VM blocked it at every attempt to unzip, to run, etc, despite me removing security obstacles one by one by one... I finally gave up, and I'll leave X-sec to Shadowra.
I also had to add quite a few exclusions for Deep Instinct 😅
One big issue with Rising's engine is that is has major issues with false positives.
Yeah, I noticed that too. 👀

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Regarding NPE, in the past although it was able to eradicate the actual Worms it left the Startup registry entries in place (not really a big deal, though). However when I tested it now it left the system totally clean (and I added an additional data stealer that persisted as a scheduled task).

Although both KVRT and NPE were excellent, K is more time consumptive to use as there are frequent new builds and after malware detection and removal a reboot is needed followed by a mandatory re-scan during which the system is unusable. NPE gives equal results but is much easier and faster, so it can be considered the Cat's Meow (optimal choice) for an occasional scan.

Sophos Scan and Clean/HMP is of very little value, and MB performs as it always has against malware in non-exe form. As they will be coming out with version 5 soon I'll withhold further comment as perhaps I'll dance with them on product release.

Finally Eset Online Scanner gave surprising results which may be discussed in a future video.

(Oh Yeah- I did try out X-sec. Not signed (not a good thing for a security app); as it crashed quickly (tried multiple times) I can't evaluate.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That combined with the slow scan speed makes it a no-go for me.

MB performs as it always has against malware in non-exe form. As they will be coming out with version 5 soon I'll withhold further comment as perhaps I'll dance with them on product release.
I heard they improved detection of non-exe malwares in v5. We will see if they actually did it. Waiting for next test 😜

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Regarding NPE, in the past although it was able to eradicate the actual Worms it left the Startup registry entries in place (not really a big deal, though). However when I tested it now it left the system totally clean (and I added an additional data stealer that persisted as a scheduled task).

Although both KVRT and NPE were excellent, K is more time consumptive to use as there are frequent new builds and after malware detection and removal a reboot is needed followed by a mandatory re-scan during which the system is unusable. NPE gives equal results but is much easier and faster, so it can be considered the Cat's Meow (optimal choice) for an occasional scan.

Sophos Scan and Clean/HMP is of very little value, and MB performs as it always has against malware in non-exe form. As they will be coming out with version 5 soon I'll withhold further comment as perhaps I'll dance with them on product release.

Finally Eset Online Scanner gave surprising results which may be discussed in a future video.

(Oh Yeah- I did try out X-sec. Not signed (not a good thing for a security app); as it crashed quickly (tried multiple times) I can't evaluate.
May I ask when it crashed? While removing the threats or beforehand? :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.