Antivirus vendors gone mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well you keep saying about AV brands and other companies not using shady tactic's and that you are free to choose if you can use them or not.
That's just not the case. If you need software, programs, utilities, services or anything provided by a third party then you are bound to whatever the developer or brand offers you. And the fact is that while free software is great you do pay with ur data and other stuff they might pull from you.
Granted one does it less forceful then others, yet as the video shows and the blog shows but also as its common knowledge on the net you as the end user have NO say. In regards to choosing to join Facebook and other online services some nations including my own by law force you to for example join linkin for job hunting purposes.
Also if you want to register on some sites and some online services you have to login with a openID or google authentication or some other third party services. In regards to Av programs claiming 99% detection which is also a marketing trick yet if they passed the VB100 test and the in the wild test then saying that they have 99% detection is actually accurate. Otherwise they would not have that certificate would they?
Its about "known" malware in the wild and NOT sample packs or MT tests with all respect.
You seem to forget that advertising and bundle software is a multi billion industry and its growing. It does not matter which AV brand you take they all specially if they are free the point is they make money of your ass using these tactic's as described above.
And if they not add stuff they certainly browse your online profile and use that for marketing reasons. Another thing is about programs putting a gun on your head use this or die.
There are thousands of programs that require you to have some sort of Av running or maintain some standard, not to mention can do it all packages that are packed with by a vendor chosen product list.
Sure you might be able to choose if you where to download it but in most cases if you do not download package A then in the end you will downloading package B.

Everywhere you go even if you run a bare windows without any third party program Windows itself will harvest your details and make money besides the fact you bought a key to make your windows legit.
So again i understand what you are saying but you are wrong on every account, and the many posts, blogs and news outlets proof that.
My question to you is why do you hold on to something that is just not true? Is this a personal opinion (Fine i respect that) but do not hold it for a fact here on a platform that is intended to teach and learn people as many people will get the wrong idea.

Thats my point, nothing sneaky and nothing disrespectful buddy.
@Umbra @BoraMurdar @exterminator20 << ask them!

Kind Regards Nico

I'll try to respond to each thing here separately because you seem to be making this more complicated of an argument/issue than it really is. Okay, here goes:

"Well you keep saying about AV brands and other companies not using shady tactic's and that you are free to choose if you can use them or not.
That's just not the case. If you need software, programs, utilities, services or anything provided by a third party then you are bound to whatever the developer or brand offers you. And the fact is that while free software is great you do pay with ur data and other stuff they might pull from you.
Granted one does it less forceful then others, yet as the video shows and the blog shows but also as its common knowledge on the net you as the end user have NO say. In regards to choosing to join Facebook and other online services some nations including my own by law force you to for example join linkin for job hunting purposes."

Well, no, I did not say they all don't use shady tactics. Hell, Qihoo got nailed for it just recently by cheating on the AV-C test. What I said was that AV companies saying you're missing out on possibly more protection and features is not shady, it's good business. Please, tell me who is forcing you to use a free or even a paid offering from any company (I'll get to Facebook in just a second). Did I ever once argue that there wasn't a price to pay for free software? No, I explicitly said the cost was your data and personal information. Look at my earlier posts. You're absolutely right that you have no say in the agreement you make with a company. That's why it's called a EULA. It's a "contract" you sign to use a service/product. Your choice is whether to use said service or product. Avast can't come to your house and say "Use us or we'll make your life miserable." Do you understand my point now?

Facebook, now Facebook is an entirely different matter and it's a sad state of affairs really. Indeed a lot of employers do force you onto it, and then make you give them their password. One could say you have a choice in being employed by that company, but let's face it, if you need a job you need a job. You'll get no argument from me about the insidious social media situation. I'm on your side there.

"
Also if you want to register on some sites and some online services you have to login with a openID or google authentication or some other third party services. In regards to Av programs claiming 99% detection which is also a marketing trick yet if they passed the VB100 test and the in the wild test then saying that they have 99% detection is actually accurate. Otherwise they would not have that certificate would they?
Its about "known" malware in the wild and NOT sample packs or MT tests with all respect.
You seem to forget that advertising and bundle software is a multi billion industry and its growing. It does not matter which AV brand you take they all specially if they are free the point is they make money of your ass using these tactic's as described above.
And if they not add stuff they certainly browse your online profile and use that for marketing reasons. Another thing is about programs putting a gun on your head use this or die.
There are thousands of programs that require you to have some sort of Av running or maintain some standard, not to mention can do it all packages that are packed with by a vendor chosen product list.
Sure you might be able to choose if you where to download it but in most cases if you do not download package A then in the end you will downloading package B.
Sure you might be able to choose if you where to download it but in most cases if you do not download package A then in the end you will downloading package B."

There are some services that need Facebook (A lot of game sites for some reason), but the majority of them can still be signed up for via email address. So there you aren't wrong, but it's not as bad as you might think (don't forget this also depends on what services you use vs what services I use). The 99% thing, I'm aware it's all about known malware. But you have to understand that for every known piece out there, there are several thousand unknown pieces, so that test really means very little. AV-C and others are general guidelines and, yes, marketing tools. Not useless, but not "the Bible" either. That part of course is my opinion. No, I haven't forgotten that bundling and adware is a multi-billion dollar affair. I keep trying with varying levels of success to avoid all that crap. That part is shady as hell, but I don't see what can be done about it at this point. I've never come across a program that "required" me to have an AV running, unless you count Windows spamming you with notices when you don't have one installed. But that's not requiring, that's just annoying. There's not much point in arguing about the location of the download. They all have mirrors/servers they use and, well, yes, sometimes you have to choose one bad wrapper over another. Sucks, but that's internet life now. It still doesn't mean you are required to use said vendor.

3."
Everywhere you go even if you run a bare windows without any third party program Windows itself will harvest your details and make money besides the fact you bought a key to make your windows legit.
So again i understand what you are saying but you are wrong on every account, and the many posts, blogs and news outlets proof that.
My question to you is why do you hold on to something that is just not true? Is this a personal opinion (Fine i respect that) but do not hold it for a fact here on a platform that is intended to teach and learn people as many people will get the wrong idea."

I don't recall saying anything about Windows, but both Windows and Linux and OS X etc will collect your data and store it. It's how an OS works. Now yes, Windows may send back data to Microsoft, and it increasingly is getting more pervasive about it. But, at least at home, you can use a different OS (and actually at this point I would. Saves you the security and privacy hassles. Finally, I never said or even tried to imply that everything out of my mouth was Ten Commandments-worthy. But the state of the internet, coupled with paranoia and the opinions of every tech journalist/security enthusiast and whomever else people will blindingly listen to, is causing people to think they are shackled against a wall in an online dungeon. It just isn't that way..yet.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Never once thought you were an asshole, you're probably just as passionate about this stuff as I am. I have no intention of starting a fight with an anonymous guy on an internet forum, so don't take my replies as a war cry :)

By the way, either it's the "dark theme" on the site or there are serious issues with the formatting when you make a post here. It took forever to reply to you because the cursor kept automatically jumping around up and down the page as I tried to write.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
I'll try to respond to each thing here separately because you seem to be making this more complicated of an argument/issue than it really is. Okay, here goes:

"Well you keep saying about AV brands and other companies not using shady tactic's and that you are free to choose if you can use them or not.
Granted one does it less forceful then others, yet as the video shows and the blog shows but also as its common knowledge on the net you as the end user have NO say. In regards to choosing to join Facebook and other online services some nations including my own by law force you to for example join linkin for job hunting purposes."

Well, no, I did not say they all don't use shady tactics. Hell, Qihoo got nailed for it just recently by cheating on the AV-C test. What I said was that AV companies saying you're missing out on possibly more protection and features is not shady, it's good business. Please, tell me who is forcing you to use a free or even a paid offering from any company (I'll get to Facebook in just a second). Did I ever once argue that there wasn't a price to pay for free software? No, I explicitly said the cost was your data and personal information. Look at my earlier posts. You're absolutely right that you have no say in the agreement you make with a company. That's why it's called a EULA. It's a "contract" you sign to use a service/product. Your choice is whether to use said service or product. Avast can't come to your house and say "Use us or we'll make your life miserable." Do you understand my point now?

Facebook, now Facebook is an entirely different matter and it's a sad state of affairs really. Indeed a lot of employers do force you onto it, and then make you give them their password. One could say you have a choice in being employed by that company, but let's face it, if you need a job you need a job. You'll get no argument from me about the insidious social media situation. I'm on your side there.

"
Sure you might be able to choose if you where to download it but in most cases if you do not download package A then in the end you will downloading package B."

There are some services that need Facebook (A lot of game sites for some reason), but the majority of them can still be signed up for via email address. So there you aren't wrong, but it's not as bad as you might think (don't forget this also depends on what services you use vs what services I use). The 99% thing, I'm aware it's all about known malware. But you have to understand that for every known piece out there, there are several thousand unknown pieces, so that test really means very little. AV-C and others are general guidelines and, yes, marketing tools. Not useless, but not "the Bible" either. That part of course is my opinion. No, I haven't forgotten that bundling and adware is a multi-billion dollar affair. I keep trying with varying levels of success to avoid all that crap. That part is shady as hell, but I don't see what can be done about it at this point. I've never come across a program that "required" me to have an AV running, unless you count Windows spamming you with notices when you don't have one installed. But that's not requiring, that's just annoying. There's not much point in arguing about the location of the download. They all have mirrors/servers they use and, well, yes, sometimes you have to choose one bad wrapper over another. Sucks, but that's internet life now. It still doesn't mean you are required to use said vendor.

3."
My question to you is why do you hold on to something that is just not true? Is this a personal opinion (Fine i respect that) but do not hold it for a fact here on a platform that is intended to teach and learn people as many people will get the wrong idea."

I don't recall saying anything about Windows, but both Windows and Linux and OS X etc will collect your data and store it. It's how an OS works. Now yes, Windows may send back data to Microsoft, and it increasingly is getting more pervasive about it. But, at least at home, you can use a different OS (and actually at this point I would. Saves you the security and privacy hassles. Finally, I never said or even tried to imply that everything out of my mouth was Ten Commandments-worthy. But the state of the internet, coupled with paranoia and the opinions of every tech journalist/security enthusiast and whomever else people will blindingly listen to, is causing people to think they are shackled against a wall in an online dungeon. It just isn't that way..yet.

Point taken but this is not about paranoia this topic is proven beyond the reasonable doubt and build on facts.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Actually paranoia is a part of it, as far as people thinking every company is out to get them and being forced to do this and that. But yes, there are plenty of facts regarding the terrible state of data collection.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
As a home user am entitled to be having a freeware antivirus.
I don't know what world you live in, but in the world that I know no one is obligated to develop a product, or service, and give it away for free because someone feels they are entitled to it. The developer/creator is entitled to earn something for their time, labor and creativity to develop/make the product, and bring it to the market place. That said, I have no issue using a free AV. I realize the developer will try to monetize it somehow. Developers have to eat, and have additional overhead/expenses like everyone else. Just as I don't work for free, why would I expect any else would ? Trust becomes paramount, as is doing one's due diligence of the product & the company before downloading anything free on to my system.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Yeah I don't at all agree with being entitled to a product or service. Entitlement is pretty much what's wrong with the world right now. I appreciate devs and companies letting me use something for free or a very reasonable price. I don't even care that we trade my usage of it for some of my preferences. I just get bothered when a company gets a Google complex and there is no such thing as "too much data" to them.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've never seen this post, but glad that I have as it; as it led me to this great post ~ ‘Anti-Virus & Malware = Myths and Facts.’ It's true, I have always stated you get what you pay for, but there are the masses who follow each other, visit the Comodo forum for instance, they all have the same idea and Melih has this one idea that will circumvent the entire malware problem, which is HIS unique solution, that he has sold, and got many to believe, argue with that they feed you to the sharks, or kick you off the forum.

The AV industry is a fast growing one, and as we have seen with the latest ransomware ‘Locker’ an industry that is going to witness a vast exponential growth as programs we thought had been removed, actually left a dangerous pay load waiting for activation.

The ability to influence others will undoubtedly continue, but as always there are others, who through the great vastness do see the light, and other's who just need a quick point in the right direction.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Ahh, Melih, how I remember his old tantrums and his cult-like forum yes-men, lol. That guy was a trip. I got booted once too, for telling him that he wasn't Gods gift to security and, at that time, his product was beginning to stink like a diarrhea-stricken baby's diaper.

D

Deleted member 178

LOL, there for a minute, i thought this was one of those "OMG!!!" spam posts from Facebook that you copied and pasted :D

it was ! :D (joking)

He often answer a bit "arrogant". So dont wonder.

a bit arrogant ?!

7gj8L.gif

he is uber-arrogant like God starring at some ants, but for his defense, he has the right to be because he is right most of the time !

:D

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I don't know what world you live in, but in the world that I know no one is obligated to develop a product, or service, and give it away for free because someone feels they are entitled to it. The developer/creator is entitled to earn something for their time, labor and creativity to develop/make the product, and bring it to the market place. That said, I have no issue using a free AV. I realize the developer will try to monetize it somehow. Developers have to eat, and have additional overhead/expenses like everyone else. Just as I don't work for free, why would I expect any else would ? Trust becomes paramount, as is doing one's due diligence of the product & the company before downloading anything free on to my system.

All right I was a little dramatic over there. But have you ever wondered why almost every commercial software has a good freeware alternative? (even Linux for Windows) That was what I really meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.