App Review Antivirus vs RedLine Stealer malware Competition

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to this test!

You are quite numerous to recover modified .exe files on the Internet, but did you know that it is never secure?
Is it worth risking your data for a pirated program?
I have recovered 2 files through YouTube videos and tested with 7 antivirus softwares !

INFO: NEVER download software / crack or other software on untrusted sites / P2P / DDL / YouTube! The hidden malware is RedLine Stealer, a very sneaky Trojan horse designed to steal your passwords and confidential information. It is accompanied by ClipBanker, another Trojan horse that steals your banking information (credit card, account ID / Paypal etc)

Avast : Detected 2 malwares ( Win32:CrypterX-gen [Trj] ) healthy machine and protected
Avira : Detected the 2 malwares ( TR/Crypt.OPACK.Gen )
MS Defender : Did not detect any of the malwares ! It only detects a dropper that accompanies the 1st malware (Trojan:Win32/ClipBanker!MTB) but the malware is installed in the temporary files and in Roaming. Infected machine
ESET: Detected the 2 malwares
Bitdefender: Detected the 1st one at launch, but not the 2nd one. However, it makes up for its mistake when KVRT analyzes the system by disinfecting the machine. The machine was indeed infected but Bitdefender saved it. Well done!
Kaspersky : Detects the 1st file, but not the 2nd on access. At runtime, Kaspersky detects the installation and reacts behaviorally. Machine protected.
WiseVector : Detects the 2 files

@RoboMan and @zkSnark request

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Nice, thanks for testing, as always it is very much appreciated.

Btw, what about Norton? Could it protect against this specific sample?

I didn't put it in the video, however I was able to do the test on my own.
The 2 files are not detected by the analysis. At launch, Norton deletes the first one (the fake FL Studio) with SONAR since it dropp ClipBanker. (ClipBanker is detected by Norton in the Cloud)
The 2nd one is not recognized and Norton bombards with an alert "System Infected: RedLine Stealer". I did not see any connection...
NPE on the other hand disinfects the machine followed by KVRT.

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Hello and welcome to this test!

You are quite numerous to recover modified .exe files on the Internet, but did you know that it is never secure?
Is it worth risking your data for a pirated program?
I have recovered 2 files through YouTube videos and tested with 7 antivirus softwares !

INFO: NEVER download software / crack or other software on untrusted sites / P2P / DDL / YouTube! The hidden malware is RedLine Stealer, a very sneaky Trojan horse designed to steal your passwords and confidential information. It is accompanied by ClipBanker, another Trojan horse that steals your banking information (credit card, account ID / Paypal etc)

Avast : Detected 2 malwares ( Win32:CrypterX-gen [Trj] ) healthy machine and protected
Avira : Detected the 2 malwares ( TR/Crypt.OPACK.Gen )
MS Defender : Did not detect any of the malwares ! It only detects a dropper that accompanies the 1st malware (Trojan:Win32/ClipBanker!MTB) but the malware is installed in the temporary files and in Roaming. Infected machine
ESET: Detected the 2 malwares
Bitdefender: Detected the 1st one at launch, but not the 2nd one. However, it makes up for its mistake when KVRT analyzes the system by disinfecting the machine. The machine was indeed infected but Bitdefender saved it. Well done!
Kaspersky : Detects the 1st file, but not the 2nd on access. At runtime, Kaspersky detects the installation and reacts behaviorally. Machine protected.
WiseVector : Detects the 2 files

@RoboMan and @zkSnark request

Thank you for testing. So Avast, Avira, ESET and WiseVector performed better than Bitdefender and Kaspersky? Will there be a difference in result if used premium versions of these AVs?

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thank you for testing. So Avast, Avira, ESET and WiseVector performed better than Bitdefender and Kaspersky? Will there be a difference in result if used premium versions of these AVs?

No difference.
Everyone succeeded except Microsoft Defender (even if Kaspersky and Bitdefender reacted behaviorally, the system was not infected)

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
No difference.
Everyone succeeded except Microsoft Defender (even if Kaspersky and Bitdefender reacted behaviorally, the system was not infected)
I have been using Kaspersky. So if I install ESET too on my PC, do they conflict, or they can go along without any problems?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have been using Kaspersky. So if I install ESET too on my PC, do they conflict, or they can go along without any problems?
Never install two antiviruses, you will get conflict even if everything seems to be running well. There are some nice tutorials in this forum and other sites about layered protection and the correct way to do it if you are interested in this kind of approach.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.