Battle Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 VS Asus Rog Strix G18 VS HP?

Maximum budget (USD)
$3600
Compare list
Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 G733PZA29-LL062A29 Amd Ryzen 9 7945HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 17.3" Wqhd 240Hz
Asus Rog Strix G18 G814JZA30-N6022A30 Intel Core I9 13980HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 18" Wqxga 240Hz
Hp Omen 17-CK2005NTA30 Intel Core I9 13900HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 17.3" Wqhd IPS 240Hz
Important factors
  1. Build quality and materials
  2. Price
  3. Performance
  4. Reliability
  5. Future-proofing
  6. Gaming (Mid/High end)
  7. Deep Leaning and AI

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Greetings MalwareTips members! :) I'm considering buying a new laptop for work (web development, dockers, virtualization, machine learning) and playing the most modern games in my spare time. I'd like to get a reliable laptop with a margin of durability and power for at least 3 years.

I am considering the following options (unfortunately DELL and Lenovo are not present in the stores available to me, only Asus and HP):

1. Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 G733PZA29-LL062A29 Amd Ryzen 9 7945HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 17.3" Wqhd 240Hz
Cost (approximately): $3,500

2. Asus Rog Strix G18 G814JZA30-N6022A30 Intel Core I9 13980HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 18" Wqxga 240Hz
Cost (approximately): $3,560

3. Hp Omen 17-CK2005NTA30 Intel Core I9 13900HX 64GB 4tb SSD RTX4080 Freedos 17.3" Wqhd IPS 240Hz
Cost (approximately): $3,600

Key Questions:
Who is better in terms of build quality HP or Asus? I know almost nothing about HP laptops.
Which processor is better and what is the I9 13980HX or Ryzen 9 7945HX?

It's interesting that Intel has a lot of technologies that improve OS security, on the other hand their processors are constantly finding vulnerabilities in their processors, patches for which degrade performance. I didn't find any interesting mentions of something for security in AMD (except Microsoft Pluton security), but the situation with vulnerabilities seems to be better.

Also it seems to me that Ryzen will be noticeably cooler in the same conditions, at least within the same model of the same manufacturer.

In general, I like the first option with the processor and design, the second offers a larger screen, the third is basically a reserve option.

Maybe I'm missing some nuances? Your opinion?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Both Asus and HP are reputable brands, but Asus ROG series is particularly known for its gaming capabilities and robust build quality. Regarding the processor, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX and Intel Core i9 13980HX are both high-performance processors. AMD Ryzen tends to offer better multi-core performance which could benefit your machine learning and virtualization tasks, and indeed, they tend to run cooler. Intel, on the other hand, has a slight edge in single-core performance which can be beneficial for gaming. It's a tight call but given your preference for reliability and cooler operation, option 1, the Asus Rog Strix Scar 17, may be the best fit.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Personally I would go ASUS but if you can score a 4090 GPU HP for the same then it's probably a good option. Build quality? Much of a muchness to be honest, ASUS is known for good screens and as the bot said they are known for gaming laptops and have a solid rep. HP? No experience but the price is right, it's right for the specs. ASUS is better for the screen if it's got a mini LED. Intel vs AMD? I don't have a preference, but I think Intel has less comparability issues. I was thinking of getting the 16" SCAR with a 3D cache AMD but Microsoft doesn't support the CPU so I passed. Plus gaming laptops are always toasty, don't expect cool temps with a 4080/4090 GPU when playing games. Gaming laptops always get hot no matter how good the cooling or how much the vendor says it runs cooler than other's. Lots of BS is thrown around by vendors, just do your research.

HP has eBay deals where I'm from, you can score a i9-HX/32GB DDR5/4090 GPU for about the same price. maybe worth checking out.

Maybe worth reading that article and reviews. Whether you trust the information is up to you.

Last edited:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
ASUS is better for the screen if it's got a mini LED.
It seems in gaming models Led displays are still a rarity due to long response times? And frankly I'm scared of matrix burn-in.
I was thinking of getting the 16" SCAR with a 3D cache AMD but Microsoft doesn't support the CPU so I passed.
What do you mean by no support? But in any case, the laptop on my list has the regular Ryzen 9 7945HX, not the 7945HX3D, which is much more expensive.
Plus gaming laptops are always toasty, don't expect cool temps with a 4080/4090 GPU when playing games.
I absolutely agree when it comes to gaming, but for example, my MSI GE75 8SG Raider with i7-8750H gets hot and loud literally because of the browser, although there are models that at least stay quiet and cool in office tasks.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
It seems in gaming models Led displays are still a rarity due to long response times? And frankly I'm scared of matrix burn-in.
I wouldn't worry about matrix burn in, and if it does then warranty. Like anything if the product is defective you have right to repair/refund within reasonable time frame..

What do you mean by no support? But in any case, the laptop on my list has the regular Ryzen 9 7945HX, not the 7945HX3D, which is much more expensive.
Microsoft doesn't officially support the 7945HX3D. For some reason they have failed to add it to supported CPU's. There was a news article about it a few months ago. Maybe it's changed?

Sure it still works with Windows but if there is a problem with software/services/app's MS won't do anything it's up to AMD to do the heavy lifting. I'm no AMD expert but Intel just appears to be supported better by everyone, no issues with compatibility. Now if AMD's new CPU's are as great as they claim and the increase in performance is as good as they claim I would consider buying one.

I am absolutely agree when it comes to gaming, but for example, my MSI GE75 8SG Raider with i7-8750H gets hot and loud literally because of the browser, although there are models that at least stay quiet and cool in office tasks.
Yeah gaming laptop vendors really like spreading lies about cooling. Problem is 4080/4090 will run hot when playing current gen games no matter what vendor, and basically they have limited portability without the power being permantly plugged in but you know this I assume.

Office laptops you can get away with intense workloads if you have right amount of DDR.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Based on my experience, the HP Omen models are better built than the Asus. In my country it is easier to get support for HP than Asus, so I would go for HP without thinking about it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.