Hot Take Asus ROG Strix Scar X3D review: AMD’s new chip is a game-changer

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

AMD proclaimed that its Ryzen 9 7945HX3D would be the world’s fastest mobile gaming chip. It was right.​

AMD, just a few weeks ago, announced the new Ryzen 9 7945HX3D, a chip with 16 cores, 32 threads, boost clock up to 5.4GHz, 55W-plus TDP, and a whopping 144MB of total cache. The company claimed it would be the “world’s fastest mobile gaming processor.” This processor, AMD insisted, would deliver an unparalleled gaming experience. Well, I’ve now got the processor in hand. It’s located in Asus’ ROG Strix Scar X3D, a gigantic 17-inch laptop bedecked with RGB, and folks, I am seeing some absolutely ridiculous numbers from this thing. This Scar is eating Intel for lunch. It is so far out of the league of any other gaming laptop I’ve ever reviewed.

Now, this device (which also includes 32GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, an Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU, and a 240Hz QHD screen) is $3,699.99. Like many of the world’s top gaming laptops, it’s a luxury purchase. For quite a few shoppers, this will be one of those products that is more of a statement than a viable buy. And the statement, in this case, is one we all kind of assumed was true the second that AMD announced this chip: Intel is in danger.

This is, without a doubt, the best gaming performance you can get in today’s laptop market. These numbers are a good deal higher than I’ve ever seen. The X3D is beating MSI’s Titan GT77 HX, a more expensive RTX 4090 machine with Intel’s flagship Core i9-13980HX, by as much as 20 percent on the titles tested here. That’s a level of performance difference that you might expect to see from a GPU upgrade, not from merely the CPU alone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.