AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Great to see F-Secure tested again.
Good protection, a lot of false positives (13), but of low prevalence, see false alarms test:
Individual cases, old or rarely used files, very low prevalence

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Great to see F-Secure tested again.
Good protection, a lot of false positives (13), but of low prevalence, see false alarms test:

I'm waiting for the performance test. Hope they include F-Secure back

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'm waiting for the performance test. Hope they include F-Secure back
The exact same thing I had on my mind after viewing the results. Our device and online security is the main concern, then performance follows that for me. I uninstalled a different AV from my home business PCs as I could sense things running slow, even when allowing the programs in Exceptions. Forms filled in more slowly, and the CAD software seemed sluggish. Once I installed F-Secure, it was like I got my PC back, and I could see and feel things responding more quickly. Kaspersky also did well as far as performance on those PCs.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Is this a new AV? :p
I measured AppTimer program startups, MD was simply faster. :cool: I know there are a lot of people disliking MD.I am not claiming MD is faster on every PC, just posting it is faster on My desktop and on my wife's Ryzen5 laptop (although differences are minimal on her laptop). As I said, your mileage may vary, IMO depends on your PC and or software configuration, does not mean that my observation complies with your observation (or preference) or that my truth prevails over your truth, just saying: it depends ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I measured AppTimer program startups, MD was simply faster. :cool: I know there are a lot of people disliking MD.I am not claiming MD is faster on every PC, just posting it is faster on My desktop and on my wife's Ryzen5 laptop (although differences are minimal on her laptop). As I said, your mileage may vary, IMO depends on your PC and or software configuration, does not mean that my observation complies with your observation (or preference) or that my truth prevails over your truth, just saying: it depends ...
Hey, I believe you, I was just trying to be funny, I'm sure you meant Microsoft Defender.(y)

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Don't like Defender ,too heavy.
It's not heavy at all on my PC. It's actually lighter than ESET and Kaspersky. Those have I used before.

1681837105284.png

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
It's not heavy at all on my PC. It's actually lighter than ESET and Kaspersky. Those have I used before.

View attachment 274681

That's not how you measure if an Antivirus is heavy or not. It's about how fast or slow it acts when scanning files as you are installing a program, launching programs, visiting websites, uncompressing files, copying large amounts of data, etc.

Do you really think AV-Comparatives opens task manager, checks the RAM and CPU usage at idle and score the performance of security solutions that way? :rolleyes:

I could care less about RAM usage in today's world where we have lots of RAM on most computers. I am not going to start a flame war by telling you how heavy Windows Defender is. I could feel I downgraded my laptop the moment I use defender and no, it's not a slow laptop by any means, here are the specs:

Alienware m15 R7 | AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX | Micron 64 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16 GB GDDR6 | WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB + 4TB SSDs | Windows 11 Pro

Last edited:

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
That's not how you measure if an Antivirus is heavy or not. It's about how fast or slow it acts when scanning files as you are installing a program, launching programs, visiting websites, uncompressing files, copying large amounts of data, etc.

Do you really think AV-Comparatives opens task manager, checks the RAM and CPU usage at idle and score the performance of security solutions that way? :rolleyes:

I could care less about RAM usage in today's world where we have lots of RAM on most computers. I am not going to start a flame war by telling you how heavy Windows Defender is. I could feel I downgraded my laptop the moment I use defender and no, it's not a slow laptop by any means, here are the specs:

Alienware m15 R7 | AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX | Micron 64 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16 GB GDDR6 | 15.6" QHD 240Hz 2ms 400-Nit ComfortView Plus G-SYNC Screen | WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB + 4TB SSDs | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro
Notice I said on my PC, and not a completely recommendation for everyone. It's true that RAM usage is not the only factor to consider when measuring the performance of an AV. But for my usage, I can't have a AV that uses up to 800MB when I'm gaming at high level FPS game.

That being said, it's also important that different users have different needs and preferences when it comes to antivirus software. What works well for one user may not work well for another, depending on their usage patterns and system specs.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Edit: CL football was not that exiting yesterday eveneing so while watching I tried two free AV's (Avast & Bitdefender) to see whether Microsoft Defender was still faster on my PC, guess what?
Bitdefender free actually beat Microsoft Defender in program start/launch times. When I checked AV-Test at performance to see how Bitdefender performed on their tests, I noticed
1681883000492.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.