App Review avast! Antivirus 2015 Review (by Av Gurus)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here's my detailed test of new avast! Antivirus 2015 FREE.
The test is divided into three videos:
  • Part 1 (Installation & First Look) - Installing avast! Antivirus 2015 and look at new things. I will also check the impact of the launch of PC before and after installation with Boot Racer, how much RAM usage and HDD space.
  • Part 2 (Synthetic Test) - Testing avast! Antivirus 2015 with several synthetic programs
  • Part 3 (Malware & Phishing Test) - Testing new avast! Antivirus 2015 against 10 valid phishing and 14 Malware links (all default settings). Also test folder with 347 new pieces and folder with 500 old malware sample

Summary:

===== GOOD =====
- ask for PUP activation on Quick setup
- light on RAM
- new features (HTTPS scanning, AVAST NG (don't work in VM), Home Network Security...)
- self defence
- malware url (12/14 = 85.71%)
- new malware pack 341/347 (98.27%)
- detection of unknown malware
- depp screen work good
- fast Smart scan
- clean PC after test

===== BAD =====
- provide tools that do not work if you do not pay (SecureLine & GrimeFighter)
- PC boot is 10-15sec longer
- not so good in Synthetic Test
- phishing score 4/10 (40%)
- when scaning/cleaning CPU is at 50% load

====================================================================
MALWARE PACK (new): 341/347 = 98.27%
OLD PACK (22.09.): 399/500 = 79.80% (but lot of them is Repaired)
====================================================================

avast! Antivirus 2015 - Part 1 (Installation & First Look)

avast! Antivirus 2015 - Part 2 (Synthetic Test)

avast! Antivirus 2015 - Part 3 (Malware & Phishing Test)

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Enlight me with one thingie...why are you testing AVAST FREE AV with various leak,antikeylogger,firewall tests which are supposed to be used for HIPS and firewalls??

Reactions: Dacko and MalwareT

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I know that there is no firewall but how to know if a program has or does not have some protection if you do not test it?

Reactions: Logethica

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I know that there is no firewall but how to know if a program has or does not have some protection if you do not test it?
So,knowing that Avast free doesn't have any firewall or HIPS protection,you are testing it no matter what.A very "pro" approach...Does it make any sense to you?

Reactions: Dacko and MalwareT

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I'm not pro this is just the way i test security programs. If you don't like it maybe you shuld make some video test.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
So,knowing that Avast free doesn't have any firewall or HIPS protection,you are testing it no matter what.A very "pro" approach...Does it make any sense to you?
Disclaimer:
Due to the small number of samples used in this tests, you should take results with a grain of salt. I encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.

Reactions: Av Gurus

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I wasn't talking about the samples or about the detections,i was talking about the the called "syntethic test" which is completely useless...if an average user sees this kind of "tests",he (she) would believe that Avast is a piece of crap which is far from the truth.

I'm not pro this is just the way i test security programs. If you don't like it maybe you shuld make some video test.
I don't do tests which got nothing to do with the reality,sorry.

Reactions: Dacko

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Very good review i enjoyed watching it.
I just want to make an observation, some of the tests you are using on your synthetic test are whitelisted by AV companies because they are not malicious they just look like malicious.
I had Eset a month ago and i used a keylogging test and Eset found nothing. I searched and found out that many of these tests where whitelisted by Eset because they said they weren't malicious.
So you are right when you are telling us to take the results with a grain of salt.;):D
Keep up the hard work as your reviews are very informative:)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Thank's :)
Yes, sythetic test are just test - they simulate what real malware do without doing a harm.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.