Advice Request Avast as a Company?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Indingo

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
I have recently been looking for a replacement AV for Windows & Android.

I was able to pick up a cheap licence for Avast Premium Security. I have very real concerns as this is a paid product.

(1) Android version has 15 popups that cannot be closed at all unless you enable each module / do everything the app tells you to do which includes enabling privacy degrading options and even had a popup to require you to enable regular speed tests for WiFi? Which I don't want. No way to disable this and it feels like the Android app is trying to upsell you even though you are already a customer and for someone with OCD all the messages and popups are frustrating since they can't be closed.

(2) Privacy. It does not even give you an option by default on install in either windows or android versions to disable collection of data and from installation it starts collecting data which apparently can also be shared with third parties. You can turn this off once the program is installed if you go into the settings but having all data collection on by default seems very shady.

(3) Windows install has upsell all over the program with no way to turn it off.

(4) Windows version has a silent mode but once enabled gives you a notification icon you cannot get rid of unless you take it off silent mode again which is annoying because it's almost as if they want you to be forced not to use the silent mode if you don't want a big red notification icon.

Just want opinions on Avast from users here as I have never used a security product before that so blatantly upsells and treats their paying users as if they are free users. I kind of wish I could get my money back but I can't since I have already activated. Is it just me or do other Avast users feel the same way?

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
The biggest reason to avoid it is an ethical one; they "partner" with shady adware and PUP developers to bundle their software, sometimes when ive been launching malware in an VM ive seen Avast or AVG being installed on the system, piggy back riding via actual malware is disgraceful. Their software itself are pretty much scareware, like any other Potentially Unwnated Program.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Avast is probably the worst AV for trying to upsell their bloatware to paying customers using scare tactic popups.

That being said, it does provide good protection for computers, I know nothing about the android version.

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
The biggest reason to avoid it is an ethical one; they "partner" with shady adware and PUP developers to bundle their software, sometimes when ive been launching malware in an VM ive seen Avast or AVG being installed on the system, piggy back riding via actual malware is disgraceful.
Wow...I never knew or even suspected this about Avast. I knew they got caught a couple years ago selling customer data but thought they had since cleaned up their act. I used to think Avast was ok and were on the path of making AV software to try to help people. Their free Avast One for Android is actually a decent app but I stopped using it. I use the free Lookout app instead and it works fine, as does the free Bitdefender Android AV. I stopped with Avast a while back because I just felt something was off with them, they have all these "free" programs but they had to be collecting and/or selling something. No company just gives everything away for free without some form of profit or getting something else in return. I never could really find out what Avast was up to and have not used any of their stuff lately and do not plan to go back. Of all the AV vendors available now, I think Bitdefender is the most ethical. At least I have not heard of anything shady from BD.

C.H.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Wow...I never knew or even suspected this about Avast. I knew they got caught a couple years ago selling customer data but thought they had since cleaned up their act. I used to think Avast was ok and were on the path of making AV software to try to help people. Their free Avast One for Android is actually a decent app but I stopped using it. I use the free Lookout app instead and it works fine, as does the free Bitdefender Android AV. I stopped with Avast a while back because I just felt something was off with them, they have all these "free" programs but they had to be collecting and/or selling something. No company just gives everything away for free without some form of profit or getting something else in return. I never could really find out what Avast was up to and have not used any of their stuff lately and do not plan to go back. Of all the AV vendors available now, I think Bitdefender is the most ethical. At least I have not heard of anything shady from BD.

C.H.
Though to be fair, its probably done via affiliates and not directly Avast themself, its still shady that Avast allows this to happen, though it isnt surprising as like big tech they give no crap about who and what gets to advertise on their platforms.

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

C.H.
Emsisoft??

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Hello :)

The main reason I don't use Avast for years :)

On the other hand on Windows, you can disable ads in the settings. On Android as well normally
You can disable both ads and tracking on both Windows and Android. Looks like they learned something since they leaked data. I'm actually testing it in three computers and 6 Android devices right now :)

Last edited:

Indingo

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 15, 2020
You can disable both ads and tracking on both Windows and Android. Looks like they learned something since they leaked data. I'm actually testing it in three computers and 6 Andorid devices right now :)
I cannot disable any of the upsell adverts on Avast Premium for Android. Under the main scanning window there are literally 15 notifications I can't turn off unless I enable certain features I don't want.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You can disable both ads and tracking on both Windows and Android. Looks like they learned something since they leaked data. I'm actually testing it in three computers and 6 Andorid devices right now :)
They have improved a lot,
At least in Avast you can disable ads and tracking.
In a lot of other AV, no such options and they all gather and sell your data. When they tell, they are not they are lying.

Norton :

Bitdefender:

And so on , all av know everything about you!

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I bought Avast Premium Ultimate 10’devices and I’m also testing it now , it’s so far good when you don’t install anti track ( slow ) all 0 day samples and phishing pages i throw at it, all detected instantly.

What I really like is the rolling update function of the database and the program components. No need to wait 1 hour but instant updates arriving into Avast.

When scanning the connections, no strange connections to data broker websites.
So they really learned from 2 years ago, but that incident was not a secret since they always mentioned they wanna use Jumpshot for this. And everybody had the option to disable the data tracking when n installing, but most people just click accept and next next and never read the privacy statement.

Peace

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I don't remember well but I think custom install is gone from Avast One Free (not the old Free AV).
You are right, there is no custom install on Avast One Free. The only option it has is to turn off the firewall, everything else is on by default with no way to turn any of the settings off. And even if you do turn off the firewall, Avast will nag you to turn it back on and show a warning on the Avast icon in the Windows tool bar until you do.

The old style version Avast Free still has the check boxes under custom installation to pick the features you want. It is anyone's guess how much longer the old style Avast Free will be around. I am no expert by any stretch but I think the old Avast Free will be gone some time soon.

C.H.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
In pay Avast settings/privacy you can uncheck items relating to data sent to Avast - I don't think Avast was ever caught passing data on they were quite open about it & after the even it seemed to me they didn't feel they had done wrong as they published the data - I've used Avast/AVG recently with no worries - The only nag I've has on Avast pay was to use their VPN & that was on initial install after that nothing.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
In pay Avast settings/privacy you can uncheck items relating to data sent to Avast - I don't think Avast was ever caught passing data on they were quite open about it & after the even it seemed to me they didn't feel they had done wrong as they published the data - I've used Avast/AVG recently with no worries - The only nag I've has on Avast pay was to use their VPN & that was on initial install after that nothing.
Its safe to use Avast, you are in control in the paid version, The Data Stealing and selling happend with the Free version.
Like i always say : Nothing in live is free !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.