-Fast scans
    -Layered Prevention Approach
    -Hardened Mode
    -Oodles Of Features
    -Nice Web Protection
CONS
-Popup ads and ads in product window
BOTTOM LINE
Avast! Free Antivirus is a great free antivirus, outperforming AVG in protection, performance, and detection and Avira in User Interface and performance. Avast strikes a balance between Avira and AVG, and is very good too. It has been awarded my Chromatinfish's Choice Award

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Avast! Free Antivirus is mainly compared to Avira Free Antivirus and AVG Free Antivirus. However, it's unique free collection of features are very pleasing to have, and its compatibility mode allows it to be installed just as an on-demand scanner.

User Interface (5 points)
avast! has a nice and efficient UI and not that metro I hate. Settings aren't as confusing as ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 and is more customizable than AVG Antivirus Free. I have to give the edge to Avast! here for full points. User Interface: 5 out of 5 points

Protection (10 points)

avast! doesn't do too bad in lab tests, but AV-Comparatives usually rates it in the middle (-1 point). Dennis Tech Labs rates Avast! just one notch below ESET, earning it a very high AA rating, only a handful of points would boost it to AAA, best rating. However, it's still stellar compared to AVG, which barely managed above negative points and earned a C rating!
Honorable Mention: Avast! Hardened Mode is an awesome addition to the antivirus and blocks any unknown files. It's reccommended to turn it on. (+2 bonus points for great Hardened Mode)
Protection: 9 out of 10 points +2 bonus points (11 out of 10 points)

Detection (8 points)

avast's detection is about vendor level, neither high nor low (-1 point), but is very good compared to other free AV. Signature updates are about once per day, with a lady speaking. Detection: 7 out of 8 points

Performance (8 points)

Avast hardly has any performance impact, it doesn't increase startup time at all and mail shield doesn't slow down mail downloading in any way. Full marks, pass! Performance: 8 out of 8 points
Total Points Possible: 31 points
Total Points Earned: 29 points
*Chromatinfish's Choice*

Levels:
Dismal: 0-6 points
Poor: 7-10 points
Fair: 11-16 points
Good: 17-22 points
Very Good: 23-27 points
Chromatinfish's Choice: 28-31 points

M31FK

Jul 31, 2014
I have the same problem as well. I tried online and offline registration but no success. I used to do the offline registration where I have received Free License Key, but lately all these keys are invalid? I dont have saved previous key that i used. What should I do? Any help?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.