App Review Avast Free (Hardened Mode) vs Ransominator

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I remember Avast Free 2019 when installed with minimal components being really light not as ESET but lighter than anything else, what concerns me is their data oriented business model.
How would one get out of their data collecting?

~LDogg

Reactions: Protomartyr

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Do you have state secrets? They all get your info/data, don't be naive… The difference is either you're aware or not, if they tell you about it or not and if someone found out or not. Windows does it, Facebook does it, Google... If you start caring for that you won't be able to get online.
Okay, I already understood from the comments that you are an Avast fan :ROFLMAO:

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
How would one get out of their data collecting?

~LDogg
Just installed it on my host and disabled all those

1588027976570.png

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Not really, I'm just looking for the best Free option. I actually always liked Kaspersky.
All reputable AVs are good as long as you keep healthy browsing habits and don't execute unknown files on your computer. An adblocker actually prevents most widespread malware and avoid downloading attached files or clicking links coming from an email unless you actually trust the sender.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
All reputable AVs are good as long as you keep healthy browsing habits and don't execute unknown files on your computer. An adblocker actually prevents most widespread malware and avoid downloading attached files or clicking links coming from an email unless you actually trust the sender.
This is the best advice.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I always have a soft spot for avast.
Honestly, I can't find any physically stronger, lighter, novice user-friendly, free AV than avast with my tweaks
I ran it in 1 of my business PCs and let everyone did what they wanted to do (all novice users). There had been zero infection for years, thanks to the combo of HM aggressive and syshardener
I upgraded that machine to Windows 8.1 (noticeably faster than windows 7) and installed Kaspersky Free (tweaked for max. performance) + syshardener. This has been running well, too. However, this combo can be bypassed by the same method in the videos.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
The free versions just is the same. The only diference is the HM(AVG HM is medium mode by default) and avg have not the extension.
I've research a little more, AVG already has its browser extension back. it's on Microsoft and Chrome stores. Also, AVG has a File Shredder, which Avast only has on the paid versions.
Resuming, AVG Free and Avast Free:
same AV;
AVG Free - File Shredder
Avast Free - Network Scanner and Password Manager.

At the end of the day, I think the File Shredder is more useful.

Last edited:

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
Google: Avast vs AVG 2020, very easy.

Just by looking at them, I notice that they have different things showing up, AVG has something going on about "protection against hackers", Avast has other naming for the same thing... I don't care.
Avast already copied the best of AVG's protection to itself, it's a matter of time until it moves the rest and who knows when AVG will disappear, I think it's still around only because of its very popular name.
As of 2019, Avast saw 3-4 years of continued value in using AVG's name, and this may be extended due to the jumpshot scare and the COVID operational losses, etc. - We're good for AVG till 2023 at the very least.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I always have a soft spot for avast.
Honestly, I can't find any physically stronger, lighter, novice user-friendly, free AV than avast with my tweaks
I ran it in 1 of my business PCs and let everyone did what they wanted to do (all novice users). There had been zero infection for years, thanks to the combo of HM aggressive and syshardener
I upgraded that machine to Windows 8.1 (noticeably faster than windows 7) and installed Kaspersky Free (tweaked for max. performance) + syshardener. This has been running well, too. However, this combo can be bypassed by the same method in the videos.
Hello @Evjl's Rain
I missed to find your tweaks for Avast:(
Please can you tell me where is the thread ?

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

GenioRack

Aug 9, 2020
Sin título.jpg

Last month avast made a major update. Where the new anti-ransomware shield excels (works by denial). And it is available in free versions. The usb analysis is now visible and configurable. The paid version receives a connection manager to control botnets.

This is wonderful.

GenioRack

Aug 9, 2020
You couldn't pay me to use Avast anymore after what happened.

The only software you wouldn't pay for is malwarebytes. It destroys legitimate software like wise, ashampoo, auslogic, etc, etc ... And it is a lie that it has such a high detection rate. On the contrary, it is mediocre. The tests have given him badly. And they always manage to hide that information on blogs and forums. As for me, it is only useful for people who install a lot of software and then do not know how to configure the windows startup. Then walwarebytes passes and destroys everything, and people think they have removed dangerous malware.

And of course I would pay for a full version of avast, since it has enough and much more to take care of the security of a home computer.
But make no mistake, these new wonders of avast are free.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
as someone that tests software regularly i can tell you that Malwarebytes has much improved. It's ransomware protection is actually top notch and very much comparable to Kaspersky. Malwarebytes stated that when the software first came out as version 4.0 it was a transition software and was just starting to implement its detection modules. LEO who makes antivirus videos aka "The pc security channel" stated so in his test. When leo did his first test of Malwarebytes 4.0 it failed because not all the modules were active it was a "transition software". He recently did the test again with malwarebytes 4.2 and it came out as one of the top. Malwarebytes also just made a big deal with a bank to protect it's costumers.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.