Battle Avast free vs comodo internet security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martiin

Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Considering mse is miserable at the moment, i would like to use a different av or suite just to be safe (i rarely get infected), i have switched to Windows 8.1 but if i remember correctly avast caused slow boot up speed in windows 7.i haven't used comodo yet so i can't say anything, I'm looking for free options or options that has some giveaways or something.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I can speak from several experiences that Comodo lets my system run much smoother when I am surfing away and multitasking. Avast seems to make my system touch sluggish, but my system is not the norm, so who knows.

Reactions: Venustus

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
not gonna post in the poll but:

avast has better signature detection plus less FP
CIS has better BB control plus a powerful firewall

so its basically choose whichever that meets your requirement.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
not gonna post in the poll but:

avast has better signature detection plus less FP
CIS has better BB control plus a powerful firewall

so its basically choose whichever that meets your requirement.

btw avast signature detection rate is not the best

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I've never used Comodo AV, although I do run their firewall on my Win 7 rig. In the latest AV-test Avast's detection was down significantly. I tend not to put too much stock in these test results as they often fluctuate up or down for most products from time to time. However, if going by Avast's forum, and the user feedback there is a viable metric on where the AV stands today, in a choice between it or Comodo I'd give Comodo the nod at this time. Incidentally, Comodo did quite well on that latest test.
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/novdec-2013/

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnosis

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Again, oranges and apples. They both work differently. It really depends on your preference. Let's assume that you have enough knowledge when it comes to keeping your system safe and clean. Would you prefer something that asks you every time you run something unknown or something that only notifies you when it detects something "bad"? Me? I'd rather choose avast! since I want something that works silently yet still offers good protection. I have no qualms against Comodo but the way it's designed, it's not just for me.

Reactions: Nikos751

Lailson

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
I do not even really enjoying comodo, I say that is Cis exceeds, or Avast + cfw I've used for a while :), but for my use I would use avast even being contradictory :confused:. But this depends largely on the User, if you like excellent proactive protection, zero-day signatures reasonable choice is cis, is not got the patience to virtualize unknown programs or think hard moves (super easy in my opinion) and like a antivirus with signatures good, even for basic use, taking care of avast risks. I used avast for 2 years and never been infected, I went through comodo, it was excellent not pleased me most, at least in my style

Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What I noticed was that while testing Avast, I run some samples that avast did not detect. Hardened mode was set at aggressive but all of them run normally without any hardened mode notification. One or two days before, Avast hardened mode worked successfully with every undetected sample (it blocked) in such situation with different samples. Both sets of samples were from malware hub here at MalwareTips.
I don't know if the virtual box I used had to do with the problem but CIS worked ok with all those samples in same environment and I cannot believe the samples avast did not block were special or something.
Maybe the whole thing is a bit silly and it may not represent something in real world, but I was worried by this incident. Think about the fact that Avast might be that buggy, at least the hardened mode!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.