avast! Online Installer offers Dropbox software!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Today, I discovered something new in avast!'s Internet Security web installer. Say hello to being offered Dropbox software.

I captured this during a custom installation of avast! Internet Security, that I downloaded from avast.com.

Be sure to de-select the check box before clicking continue.

upload_2014-9-12_18-24-8.png

For less experienced users, I recommend Unchecky which de-selects any promotional/toolbar software offered in installers.
More about Unchecky: http://malwaretips.com/threads/unchecky-updated-to-version-0-2-adds-redesigned-ui.21160/

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Theyre clearly showing it.
And you need to keep in mind that 95 percent of their users run the free version,
they need to get their money someway.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Have to agree with @Secondmineboy they are showing it out in the open with very obvious text that it is not their software and that it is "recommended" and not complusory. Also I think dropbox is a pretty useful bit of software that every user should have some knowledge of, I use it almost everyday to transfer large files over to my colleagues.

Reactions: Kent

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
It's been in the installer forever it seems, but I always decline anything in installers.

Reactions: Kent

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
If I installed Avast installer, I only want Avast with it.
I knew what people complain about Comodo installers about bundled Comodo browsers, Yandex etc.. We also never called browsers and Yandex as PUA ;)
sure u want only avast than. but keep in mind that avast need to make some money somewhere because most of the users use the free version. a costum install isnt that hard, if anyone miss it, its there own fault.

Reactions: avast! Protection
Y

yigido

sure u want only avast than. but keep in mind that avast need to make some money somewhere because most of the users use the free version. a costum install isnt that hard, if anyone miss it, its there own fault.
Poor Comodo, some of our staff members and forum members kick its a** because of the (bundled softwares) same problem. But now, people defend Avast against the same issue. :)
and it is ınternet security and paid version of Avast but installer stilll offers some usefull* softwares in it. Sure they have to make money to keep this software free, everyone needs money for their debts. This way is not ethical just my opinion.
Please do not take offence mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.