avast! Pro Antivirus, Fake Warnings, Softonic Partnership and Free Adware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Manzai

LOL again :D

d9398ac1c78d3756f73f8cdde18918b8.png

:p

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Reactions: CapeBuffalo

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
All of these big AV names claim thats it's clean.
BitDefender, MSE Emsisoft F-Secure GData Kaspersky McAfee Panda Symantec.
these are well known on top of the av list
Well pointed out. This proves how PUPs are controversial. In the avast! forum link provided in this thread, users complain that the Softonic bundled installer delivers a browser hijacker that is difficult to get rid of. So what is going on? Commercial agreements, or lack thereof, between the parties mentioned here may explain the differences in detection.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
]

GData is a buggy Antivirus, I tried to install it few weeks ago and it never completed the installation and it was a pain to remove it.
its not that buggy for also you had use their uninstaller to remove any trace of it

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
]

GData is a buggy Antivirus, I tried to install it few weeks ago and it never completed the installation and it was a pain to remove it.
I installed it some months ago to test & it works. Maybe u downloaded corrupt installer file or something was bugging out during ur G data installation.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra
D

Deleted member 178

not really because of these zero day attacks carry by malware you will allways need an av for protection

Appguard or ERP or Defensewall + Shadow Defender or Sandboxie ; good luck to infect me.

the malware doesn't even reach my system files :D

AV, by this i meant the Engine component doesn't protect you from 0-days , since it works on signature that need time to be created. what protect you is the high heuristic of some engines and the others modules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
What a story :confused: avast is supposed to be a security company :eek:
I bet even we tell them about this, if they want to say it straight forward, they would likely to say " That's the price for installing a FREE softwares, after all..where we can get the money? besides...it was your own fault to install an adware, we are an antivirus not an anti ad-ware :cool:".

Of course removing/preventing ad-ware is not a hard task for most MT members, but for regular users..it's really pain in the ***
Avast is one of the good free av out there, it's really sad to hear this :(
Thanks for the heads up Huracan, I'd likely to inform my friends about this (most are avast users) :)

Reactions: Koroke San

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Appguard or ERP or Defensewall + Shadow Defender or Sandboxie ; good luck to infect me.

the malware doesn't even reach my system files :D

AV, by this i meant the Engine component doesn't protect you from 0-days , since it works on signature that need time to be created. what protect you is the high heuristic of some engines and the others modules.
one of the best free software I've seen so far that do exactly as it said.
I run around 200 malicious files, including ransomware, blue screens, after force shutdown no system changes made.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just tried the exact same situation with the same Avast settings and receive no notifications at all, 7-zip both 32 & 64-bit downloaded successfully and I was able to install both without any notifications from Avast.

68Cg6Of.png

So I'm not sure if this applies to all users in different areas of the world.
I'm just using Avast Free latest version for about 5 years at default settings and I have never seen any of these notifications before.
Hopefully Avast hasn't made partnerships with Softonic, this just would not be good at all.
Hopefully I don't start receiving these adware notifications, because it will not take me long to moved to MSE since I already use Windows Defender on my Windows 8 laptop and love it.

Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.