Battle Avast vs Avira / detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
So, why is Avira so much better in terms of detection by just using signatures and a cloud? Avast has so much more features like a sandbox, anti exe and stuff. I don't get it.

M

MalwareT

I thought DeepScreen is like a sanbdox? What is the difference?

DeepScreen analyzes file for malicious code / activity , and blocks it if it's found. Sandbox isolates file from preventing damage from OS, and it's available only in paid versions. I'm long time user of Avast! since 2007 and no issues at all. Personally i used Avira with Sandboxie and Adguard temporarily and it was very effective combo. :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I currently using avast! premier, but I am unable to run Google Chrome in the sandbox it keeps crashing? Other than that I would choose avast! I have never used Avira, but a lot find it to be a very powerful security suite.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast FAQ, including what's new and improved in v2014 - http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB89

"avast! Hardened Mode brings an option for inexperienced users to further lock down the security of the computer in the avast! 2014 settings. If enabled, users can select between "Aggressive" mode which doesn't allow any non-whitelisted files in avast! file reputation database (e.g. unknown files) to run, and "Moderate" mode which allows any other files except those with low reputation in avast! file reputation database (e.g. low prevalence files) to run.

avast! DeepScreen enables deep scanning for better real-time decisions on any file deemed suspicious due to prevalence and/or emergence, while automatically executes the data in the Sandbox."

@Tony Cole I had the same problem, Chrome and IE would crash in the avast! Manual Sandbox. I've now switch to a better solution, Sandboxie, but not for sandboxing my browsers.

Reactions: avast! Protection
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.