App Review AVG vs AVIRA Detection test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

yes AVG is improving a lot ( exept for the product stability : the need to rewrite the code so it is a more stable product ) detection wise ( a.i. intelligence and crowd cloud module ) the strive to be on top of the security product market.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Avira is still a good solution but I do agree AVG is improving and certainly a good choice. I hate their AVG SecureSearch and their extension they are such a pain to be removed and could be classed as adware :(

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

AVG maybe getting better but its a huge PRIVACY risk as it SELLS personal INFO...It clearly states in PRIVACY Statements...
Those who've less privacy concern can Adapt it ,otherwise Ditch it... :p

regards
AVG is not the only one who does this , they are transparent about as it is stated on their homepage , furthermore there are seurity vendors who do things more sneaky than this . it also allows AVG to gather info of various users , to improve their cloud module / a.i intelligence. now you can only opt out in their paid products , in the future the free products will also get this treatment!

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@safe1st If possible please consider doing a detection test with the new Sophos Home free anti virus. From my limited experience Sophos Home is a solid, quality anti virus with no non sense advertisement pop-ups every now and then, their privacy terms seems much better than most free anti virus softwares available now. Sophos home free feels more or less like using a paid anti virus software than a free anti virus.

Last edited:

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
@kuttan I think it didn't get installed properly and was a pain to undo. Then when I had it up and running it just needed to much attention and I didn't feel I had much control over it. :p

If there is an infection, don't just clean and popping up stuff. Give me options, that's where I like AVG... I can control what to do with the infected file on detection.

Although it (Avira) feels more lighter to run, and I've used it a few years back and loved it.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
@safe1st If possible please consider doing a detection test with the new Sophos Home free anti virus. From my limited experience Sophos Home is a solid, quality anti virus with no non sense advertisement pop-ups every now and then, their privacy terms seems much better than most free anti virus softwares available now. Sophos home free feels more or less like using a paid anti virus software than a free anti virus.

Sure will do next time

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira Protection Cloud sometimes runs in passive which though rely instead on traditional techniques. Meanwhile AVG as an edge due to their ID protection however lots of processes that can consume unequal resources.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Avira Protection Cloud sometimes runs in passive which though rely instead on traditional techniques. Meanwhile AVG as an edge due to their ID protection however lots of processes that can consume unequal resources.

Just hope AVG improve that.. Quicker threats removal

Reactions: Logethica and Rishi

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Yes there is always scope for improvement , corporates spend millions in R&D for a reason.Besides, the user behind the computer and the usage habits matters a lot for an AV to provide a good baseline protection.All comes down to personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.