Avira Free Antivirus – Up Close & Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Programs may come and programs may go but there is one piece of software which has always been an essential part of most user’s setup and remains so to this day… antivirus. Sure, you may come across the odd comment from someone expounding on how they don’t use or need antivirus but that’s not a stance I agree with, certainly not for the vast majority of internet users anyway.

Over the years, the big 3 have been at the fore in the free antivirus stakes, Avast, Avira, and AVG. About 4 months ago I uninstalled my long time favorite, Avast, and installed Avira Free Antivirus. No need to go into the reasoning here, suffice to say that I was getting a little fed up with some of Avast’s tactics with the latest versions.

Anyway, four months on and I am happy to report that I am very satisfied with Avira’s overall performance. Avira’s free package is not quite as comprehensive as the other major contenders, there is no email protection included for example, but Avira’s superior core detection rates more than make up for any missing periphery. Besides, Avira will still spring into action whenever the user attempts to open anything malicious.

Avira Free Antivirus – What’s Included & What’s Not

Note: The “Firewall” referred to in the above screenshot is actually Windows Firewall and not an additional third party firewall provided by Avira.

Green buttons denote installed components and grey buttons denote features which are available only in Premium editions – with the exception of Web Protection, which is available as a separate browser add-on and accessed from a popup initiated by left clicking Avira’s system tray icon:

This is actually a good thing because it allows users to choose whether to install the Browser Safety feature or not. Avira’s Browser Safety add-on is available for Firefox and Chrome and is actually a pretty useful addition, encompassing three key areas of browser security and privacy:

• Safe Search – Uses Avira URL Cloud technology to analyze search results and clearly designate any links that contain potentially harmful content as “unsafe”.
  • Safe Browsing – Provides a second layer of protection by applying the Avira URL Cloud technology used in Safe Search to scan any web addresses that are entered directly into address bar.
  • Do Not Track Me – Analyzes the websites you visit for the presence of online tracking tools, preventing companies from recording your browsing history, habits and preferences. Fully customizable to allow any tracking cookies you choose to accept.
Real-Time Protection is provided per medium of a combination of traditional definition database plus Avira Protection Cloud detection technology, which Avira claims detects 99.99% of all malware.

It’s all pretty simple stuff configured for optimum protection right out of the box but if you care to dig down through the menus you’ll find plenty of information and several settings to fiddle with.

Avira’s System Scanner for example includes pretty much every possible option and combination commonly required:

A “Quick Scan” is scheduled to run once a week by default but the built-in scheduler can be utilized to easily configure regular user-defined scans.

The “Reports” section displays a list of events relating to updates and scans in chronological order:

As you can see from the above screenshot, automatic definition updates are occurring at an average 4 times per day. Reports older than 30 days are set to be deleted by default, but even these parameters can easily be adjusted by the user.

The “Events’ section displays a list of … well… events (for want of a better word):

The yellow exclamation marks denote warnings. One is related to Avira blocking Windows auto-run feature when I plugged in my external drive. It doesn’t interfere with the normal operation of the connected device and is merely a security precaution against auto-run malware. The other is because I turned off Avira’s real time protection just to create an entry for you to see how it works.

Avira Free Antivirus – Bottom Line
If you prefer an antivirus solution which is quiet in the extreme and does not gobble up system resources, then Avira Free is probably for you. In the four months since I’ve been using Avira I have not received one popup suggesting an upgrade, in fact, no advertizing at all. Everything Avira does is behind the scenes and it is without doubt the quietest antivirus I’ve ever used.

And it’s light on resources too, in the following screenshot you’ll see 3 processes related to Avira totaling a measly 65MB.

Compare that with Firefox’s whopping 320+MB.

Factor in Avira’s superior detection rate and you simply cannot go wrong.

Panda Cloud Antivirus – Special Mention
Panda Cloud Antivirus Free has been making quite a splash in the detection rates department. In the latest test results from AV-Test, Panda Cloud Antivirus was the only free product tested which achieved 100% protection against both prevalent and zero-day malware, right up there with leading premium solutions.

What let’s Panda down slightly is its apparent negative impact on system resources. According to AV-Test, the industry standard is a 3 second impact, Panda’s is 7 seconds, both AVG free and Avast free are 2 seconds. Avira free was not included in the testing but the Premium edition, Avira Internet Security was and rated a 1 second impact, even with all the additional baggage.

Still, on newer machines with high-end specs, that shouldn’t be so much of an issue and, on detection rates alone, Panda Cloud Antivirus Free appears to be a worthy contender.

Source

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Avira is pretty good now, They have improved a lot since Travis Witteveen became CEO last year.
Although their web protection add on is kinda annoying when you're on a website and it sits below the address/URL bar and pops up when your mouse hovers over it.
One thing that needs improvement is its start up as it delays and doesn't show up for like 2-5 minutes on a fresh/High Performance machine.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
ok so avast have hardened mode which act like a good BB. Wut about avira BB? Wut if a user click on infected executable mistakenly? can avira detect it if it's not in it virus database? thnx :) I want to know more about it's BB. Plus when u do multitasking/scanning/update how much avira take memory consumption? Plus did it make boot time slower?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Avira is still the lightest free AV, I have an older XP system with only 128MB of ram that I use for testing and Avira free (without web protection) is the only AV that doesn't seem to affect the system response time. The web protection is really not needed anyway since the other real-time features would still detect any files.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Koroke San

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Avira is still the lightest free AV, I have an older XP system with only 128MB of ram that I use for testing and Avira free (without web protection) is the only AV that doesn't seem to affect the system response time. The web protection is really not needed anyway since the other real-time features would still detect any files.

Is Panda light at all?

Reactions: omidomi

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Is Panda light at all?
Yes Panda Cloud is light but you can custom install Avast with only the shields that you need and make it lighter, most users would not need the mail shield unless using an email client, the web shield is also not necessary because the file shield will still detect any files in memory.
Also can custom install Avira to remove the web protection (its heaviest component).

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Is Panda light at all?

Talking of Panda Cloud here. Not anymore, in my system it eats twice the memory compared to Avast, a little higher than what MBAM uses.

I haven't tested the latest version of Avira yet, but it has a bigger footprint compared to Avast last time I checked

Reactions: Littlebits

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Did you notice any slowdowns when opening ppt's and freeze at the first clicks when a new word window is opened? These (maybe a couple more things) made me uninstall it.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Avira is a very good antivirus product, I use it on a second computer, and I'm glad this soft did never disappoint me.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Am using it on another partition(the one which came from my Bitdefender trials), lighter and faster than BD. No issues with MSOffice..I had that when I had BD though....I seem to see a slow opening when using AutoCad 2010 but it's AutoCad's behavior when launching as it launches all the other tools it uses. Have not tried AutoCad 2010 with BD though....I guess it will be horribly slow! Just my two cents :)

aLCJK2C.png

Reactions: Nikos751

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Additional Information

Avira Free Antivirus will offer the Toolbar Web Protection if you Change Installation* from the Control Panel, after the initial Avira Free installation. The Web Protection is not offered during the first run.

Avira Online Essentials is optional. You are not required to register with Avira and can be skipped. It can also be uninstalled without losing Avira Free Antivirus functionality.

Avira Secure Backup offers 5GB of online storage, which requires an account hence why it's offered in Avira Online Essentials.

Avira Anti-Theft (if offered) is for mobile only; Android / iOS.

* - I noticed this when I last installed Avira Free in the Virtual Machine last month.

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.