Back to the Start: Windows 95 celebrates its 20th birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Windows 95 was released on August 24, 1995 and was a significant milestone for Microsoft in both its past as well as its future. By unifying MS-DOS and Windows products, which were previously two separate entities, Windows 95 introduced a vast array of improvements over its previous iterations, Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1.
Windows 95 had also marked the transition from a 16-bit to 32-bit architecture. The operating system would go on to become the most popular OS for years to come since it had introduced features such as the coveted Start button.

Redesigning the interface in which users interacted with their computers led to the scrapping of many user experience components from previous versions of Windows. The desktop was redesigned to allow for shortcuts to files, folders and applications. Applications running were presented on the taskbar located at the bottom of the screen. Further, the taskbar also displayed volume controls, the time and applications running in the background via miniature icons.

Of course, these are all familiar parts of the Windows experience these days - but at the time of Windows 95's introduction, they represented a considerable change compared with previous releases.

The Start menu was the most significant such departure from earlier versions; clicking on the "Start" button allowed users to access installed applications, open documents and gain quick access to an assortment of shortcuts.
Windows 95 also introduced Internet Explorer 4, which included an optional Windows Desktop Update and allowed users to view internet content directly on their desktop.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Win95 was the best in its day. I used it for years until Win7 came along. Thanks for the Memory Lane.!

Reactions: Overlord

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
Ancient times:), I still have those dozen floppy disks.
I keeps them - as a memento of bygone days.

Reactions: frogboy
S

sinu

Thread author
Win95 was the best in its day. I used it for years until Win7 came along. Thanks for the Memory Lane.!
that's true windows 95 & 98 was the best still now i use in my office for certain applications its so smooth and flaw less

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
In my ex-firm they still run some PCs with Windows 2000, and also printing presses from Heidelberg and many other machines
still run on such old OSes or XP for example.

Reactions: MalwareT

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
An era (Windows 98/95 and below) way back where privacy issues and security risks are not yet totally emerged; however as technology brought 'risks' then everything are shown up and already been a problematic for a complaint user, but still Microsoft is Microsoft; it binds already to help our lives easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.