Battle Best antivirus for grandma/family

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
For grandparents, other family members and clients antivirus is a huge issue. Most of them would rather go without than fork out money for something, so only so few options are left. Each program seems to have something that holds it back or that shines over another. They want something that is free, does what it is told without having to be asked, doesn't slow down the computer or block their favourite websites and applications. On top of this, they want to be able to heavily rely on the program to protect them from today's threats.

I'm interested in other people's opinions on what would be the best product for these people. Currently I've had the most success to date with Microsoft's security essentials. Don't tell me that they can learn and do these 'simple' things themselves. They can't :p!

Quick list with my believed pros/cons:

Avast:
The good:
- excellent detection rates
- good on system
- low false positives
- free
- low/no user input for threats

The bad:
- In order to get optimal protection for these people, I believe a lot of configuration is needed
- Have to set it up/register it for them each year

AVG:
The good:
- good on the system
- low false positives
- free
- almost no configuration needed

The bad:
- average detection rates
- some input may be required

Avira:
The good:
- good on system
- free

The bad:
- toolbar is needed for maximum security
- input is required
- high false positives

Microsoft:
The good:
- good on system
- low false positives
- free
- low/no user input for threats

The bad:
- average detection rates

Panda:
The good:
- free
- good on the system
- low/no user input

The bad:
- toolbar is needed for maximum security
- no internet connect + infected usb = dead computer

Comodo:
The good:
- okay detection rates
- good on the system
- free
- amazing protection

The bad:
- user input is required often

Bitdefender:
The good:
- good on the system
- free
- no/little input required

The bad:
- one time registration required
- buggy?

Quite lengthy but it needs to be detailed as it's important. Let me know what you guys think?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
For older people who are basically computer illiterate, it is best to create limited user account since they will not need to download and install new software. Just use MSE, if they need to install a new software then do it for them or guide them through the process on the Admin account. After new software is installed, have them to move back to the limited user account.

Thanks. :D

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Littlebits said:
For older people who are basically computer illiterate, it is best to create limited user account since they will not need to download and install new software. Just use MSE, if they need to install a new software then do it for them or guide them through the process on the Admin account. After new software is installed, have them to move back to the limited user account.

Thanks. :D

I know you can do that but I guess I'll take MSE as your answer haha.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
For older folks who may, or may not, be comfortable with a computer, and or, prefer a set and forget AV solution I'd advise MSE as a 1st choice. Works quietly in the background, will not conflict with other programs that could get the user in over their head. Option 2 would be Panda Cloud, also set and forget. Works quietly in the background, is agreeable with whatever other programs they have on the system. If concerned about USB infections, if no internet, add MCShield to the system.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
aztony said:
For older folks who may, or may not, be comfortable with a computer, and or, prefer a set and forget AV solution I'd advise MSE as a 1st choice. Works quietly in the background, will not cause conflicts other programs that could get the user in over their head. Option 2 would be Panda Cloud, also set and forget. Works quietly in the background, and is agreeable with whatever other programs they have on the system. If concerned about USB infections, if no internet, add MCShield to the system.

Can see your reasoning. Nice choices!

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
FortiClient Endpoint Security is free but a little heavy and get's ok scores in tests

Sandboxie is good with a free AV as long as thay doin't download nothing and want to save it
then you have to teach them how to do it i showed my dad how to use it and he loved it god
rest his soul (past 1 1/2 year ago)

but i will go with MSE also for easy to use

:)

James

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
For my family and non-expert clients I install bitdefender AV FREE, because
1- FREE
2- excellent detection rates + behavior blocker
3- No popups. No configurations ( Install and forget )
4- HTTP Scanning
5- low system resources

I've tried avast before for my clients but it didn't protect them, BDAV FREE did well

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would consider, MSE or Avast Free (custom install with Hardened Mode enabled), and stick with a Standard User Account. I've not used Hardened Mode, but I'm assuming it's automatic (ie. no user interaction required).

+ 1 for Avast! - If you have an Avast! Account (my.avast.com) you can link that PC to your account and you can remotely monitor the stats, any infections, expiring free license etc.
+ 1 for MSE - Low FP rate, gets the job done without user interaction. Daily updates through Windows Updates.

tech, requiring an account for Bitdefender Free Antivirus was a deal-breaker for me. At least with avast and many others' an account is optional.

What OS version are they using?

I

illumination

bunyip783 said:
Don't tell me that they can learn and do these 'simple' things themselves. They can't :p!

Had a good laugh at this ;)

Seriously though, would it floor you to learn, i taught a 70 year old man the basics with Comodo and he has been using CIS now for over 3 years, no infections, and only a handful of calls to come help him "mainly because CIS updates having an issue" I do believe you can use just about any software, it would involve "you" setting it up for them, to make it "user friendly" then explaining a few "do's and don'ts" to them, and turn them lose.. If this old retired farmer " i spoke of" can do it, i know most people can..

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Avast is good. but in this situation I'd recommend MSE over everything, as it has a very low false positive, very light on resources, doesn't need any configuration. Its install & Forget.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
MSE - but be sure they use the latest version of Internet Explorer w/Smart Screen turned on to increase protection.
Second choice - Bitdefender Free.
I'm 67 and have used Comodo Pro, Avast IS, currently using Bitdefender Free because it's so easy. You can always make up a separate e-mail address or fake Facebook account to register it with.
If you think old people aren't computer savvy, just head down to your local McDonalds and look at the lot of 'em using their laptops, tablets, smart phones.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
MSE recomended no so for Grandma but for all users mostly who works in 8.
For windows 7 or xp, it´s more simpler choose another AV, maybe Norton AV 14 for 6 month or Webroot for low pc.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Earth said:
I would consider, MSE or Avast Free (custom install with Hardened Mode enabled), and stick with a Standard User Account. I've not used Hardened Mode, but I'm assuming it's automatic (ie. no user interaction required).

+ 1 for Avast! - If you have an Avast! Account (my.avast.com) you can link that PC to your account and you can remotely monitor the stats, any infections, expiring free license etc.
+ 1 for MSE - Low FP rate, gets the job done without user interaction. Daily updates through Windows Updates.

tech, requiring an account for Bitdefender Free Antivirus was a deal-breaker for me. At least with avast and many others' an account is optional.

What OS version are they using?

Good points, although I wasn't aware an Avast! account was optional?
Edit: Just a general question I suppose. Wasn't talking about any particular family member or anything.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
illumination said:
bunyip783 said:
Don't tell me that they can learn and do these 'simple' things themselves. They can't :p!

Seriously though, would it floor you to learn, i taught a 70 year old man the basics with Comodo and he has been using CIS now for over 3 years, no infections, and only a handful of calls to come help him "mainly because CIS updates having an issue" I do believe you can use just about any software, it would involve "you" setting it up for them, to make it "user friendly" then explaining a few "do's and don'ts" to them, and turn them lose.. If this old retired farmer " i spoke of" can do it, i know most people can..
I'm not sure if you're trying to insult me or not? If you have to install this on around twenty people's PC and try to get them all to understand it, it's not as easy as it looks. I know how it works, just saying.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
FreddyFreeloader said:
MSE - but be sure they use the latest version of Internet Explorer w/Smart Screen turned on to increase protection.
I'm 67 and have used Comodo Pro, Avast IS, currently using Bitdefender Free because it's so easy. You can always make up a separate e-mail address or fake Facebook account to register it with.
If you think old people aren't computer savvy, just head down to your local McDonalds and look at the lot of 'em using their laptops, tablets, smart phones.
This only applies to some. I've had to teach my parents multiple times to just check their emails.

I

illumination

bunyip783 said:
illumination said:
bunyip783 said:

I'm not sure if you're trying to insult me or not? If you have to install this on around twenty people's PC and try to get them all to understand it, it's not as easy as it looks. I know how it works, just saying.

No, it was not intended as an insult, i have a good sense of humor, and laughed at the statement you wrote, as i have seen a few people like this, that you just try to make it as easy as possible, as they have a hard time "conforming" to technology..

Matter of fact, the elderly gentleman i spoke of is about as novice as they come, but, was also willing to learn, and even though it took a few times of teaching him each part, he did learn. He went as far as "exploring" himself when i was not able to come down..

It is like anything in life, if you have no experience with something, just starting seems like impossible, but after doing something a few times, you tend to learn and catch on..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, it's optional. The requirement of your email is to only activate the 1 year license for the Free Antivirus. But even if you do (accidentally) create an avast! account (my.avast.com), you can always delete it with ease. See image below.

GaxO6EK.png

Anyway, I'll let you decide what you wish to use. Hope that helped you and others! :D

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
bunyip783 said:
FreddyFreeloader said:
This only applies to some. I've had to teach my parents multiple times to just check their emails.

I heard that. Have a cousin (82) that refused to get a computer for years, but bought one because her minister told all the church members that the weekly newsletter would only be sent out in an e-mail instead of the post, to save money. Now, they have learned how easy the Internet can make one's life, and wouldn't hear of going without it.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
illumination said:
bunyip783 said:
illumination said:
bunyip783 said:

No, it was not intended as an insult, i have a good sense of humor, and laughed at the statement you wrote, as i have seen a few people like this, that you just try to make it as easy as possible, as they have a hard time "conforming" to technology..

Matter of fact, the elderly gentleman i spoke of is about as novice as they come, but, was also willing to learn, and even though it took a few times of teaching him each part, he did learn. He went as far as "exploring" himself when i was not able to come down..

It is like anything in life, if you have no experience with something, just starting seems like impossible, but after doing something a few times, you tend to learn and catch on..
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad he's had so much succcess with it :).

Earth said:
Yes, it's optional. The requirement of your email is to only activate the 1 year license for the Free Antivirus. But even if you do (accidentally) create an avast! account (my.avast.com), you can always delete it with ease. See image below.

GaxO6EK.png

Anyway, I'll let you decide what you wish to use. Hope that helped you and others! :D
Great, thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.