Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Choose your favorite freeware download manager from the list . This is a multiple choice poll, so you could choose more than one of your favorite download managers.

All download managers with "Free" listed at their end has a Pro version.

Since the poll is limited to 10 choices, if you have a choice not listed here, please mention it in this thread.

Download Managers that have not been updated for a long time, isnt included in the list.

Note: Do not choose more than 5 even though this is a multi-choice poll :eek:

Reactions: omidomi

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I use something called "DownThemAll!" it is an add-on, it does wonders in my Firefox :D

Reactions: Malware1

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The only way members could vote fare is to try them all for a period of time and most members have probably only tried a few of them.
Of the list I choose EagleGet since it always does an excellent job but Download Ninja is also very good.
Most of the others that I have tried give me some kind of issues but I have not tried FlareGet Free (never heard of it before),
Xtreme Download Manager(fairly a new product) and uGet (mostly for Linux, Windows version has issues).

I do plan to try Xtreme Download Manager since it is open-source to see how it compares.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: WinXPert
D

Deleted member 2913

I have tried/tested all the download managers listed on Win 7 64 with IE & Google Chrome.

Download Accelerator Manager Free - Clean interface with no craps. But limited acceleration speed i.e out of 1x - 20x speed, free version only allows 3x speed. Video Grabber never worked here. And the most important thing when you try to download something with DAM, you get a popup from windows mentioning something "this will run out of protected mode & can be dangerous". I also found it buggy like some changed settings doesn't working like I chose a different default download location but in the download info window it always showed its default download location, etc...

Download Accelerator Plus Free - Works fine. But additional softwares included. And GUI had an advert. Ultra acceleration not available in free version. It has web installer & sometimes it fails to install & gives error.

Eagleget - Works fine. Clean software with no craps.

Flareget Free - Clean software. But only 2 connection/section available in free version out of 32 if I remember correctly.

Flashget - I dont remember now but I guess doesn't works with chrome & additional softwares/craps.

Uget - If remember correctly, windows version is portable only.

Internet Download Accelerator Free - Works fine. Additional softwares, advert in download window & pro advert popup. And the same windows popup "this will run out of protected mode & can be dangerous" like in download accelerator manager.

Free Download Manager - Using from a long time on one system. Never had any probs. Clean software. One of my favourite.

DownloadNinja - New but an excellent product. Clean software & works fine. It was released in this forum here too & is improving/developing fast with support of the members here. One of my favourite.

Xtreme Download Manager - Currently testing/trying for quite some days. Improved a lot. I like it. Clean software, just 500kb installer, works fine, simple & nice interface. But not much known. So I have contacted developer & suggested to introduce himself & XDM here at MalwareTips so that he could get support & much more feedback for XDM which would be excellent for XDM development/improvement/popularity, etc... He said he is enhancing couple things in the current version & in couple of days will be here at MalwareTips. One of my favourite.

Y

yigido

Free Download Manager is my choice. What a pity they only support Firefox. I cannot use it in the other FF based browsers.
Especially on my FF based x64 browsers because their manager add-on only works with Firefox :(

Reactions: Kent and Littlebits

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I use something called "DownThemAll!" it is an add-on, it does wonders in my Firefox :D

Thanks we're talking about external download managers that have integration for browsers, like Chrome, Firefox, Opera, IE etc.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
After using up my existing license for IDM I used a combination of FlashGot add-on in Firefox and FDM. I have FlashGet as standby. I recently tried EagleGet but it would not run properly I gave up. Maybe next time when I am ot busy I'll recover a system image for testing and try it again.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Have used 3 of 10 mentioned. Am using FDM Lite.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
@Littlebits I haven't voted in poll, because I've only tried the two.
Like I said the poll is not setup to be fare since in order to know you would have to try each one on the list.
Most users would only keep trying others if one failed to do its job.
Some users might have only tried one and it worked for them because they was no needed to try others.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Like I said the poll is not setup to be fare since in order to know you would have to try each one on the list.
Most users would only keep trying others if one failed to do its job.
Some users might have only tried one and it worked for them because they was no needed to try others.

In that case it'd be better if the users are given the right to change their poll votes, later in the future, after they've tried the products.

I'd like to ask the site admin if it's possible to make such changes in the poll system.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
In that case it'd be better if the users are given the right to change their poll votes, later in the future, after they've tried the products.

I'd like to ask the site admin if it's possible to make such changes in the poll system.
The poll system can not be edited on our current forum software, options for members to change their votes is not available.
Hopefully after our next upgrade more options will be available for the poll system.

D

Deleted member 2913

me, xtreme download manager, after tested... it's same..as IDM.
I am testing/trying XDM under Shadow Defender. Not yet tried on production/real system.

I am facing one problem in IE with XDM installed. I am not able to search through address bar. Any input is auto changed to .com & gives blank page i.e if I input wilders, its auto changed to wilders.com, any info?

And is the XDM proxy good & safe i.e do you face net slow down & is the proxy safe to use?

msconfig-startup shows 2 entries related to XDM, XDM & network discovery. Guess XDM is for autostart & network discovery?

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I am testing/trying XDM under Shadow Defender. Not yet tried on production/real system.

I am facing one problem in IE with XDM installed. I am not able to search through address bar. Any input is auto changed to .com & gives blank page i.e if I input wilders, its auto changed to wilders.com, any info?

And is the XDM proxy good & safe i.e do you face net slow down & is the proxy safe to use?

msconfig-startup shows 2 entries related to XDM, XDM & network discovery. Guess XDM is for autostart & network discovery?

I think the developer is correcting the first issue in the latest version. The only problem I've had with XDM in the past is when I uninstall the program, it changes the system proxy, and I'll be unable to access internet unless I manually change the proxies. I'm not sure if it's been corrected in the later versions.

D

Deleted member 2913

I think the developer is correcting the first issue in the latest version. The only problem I've had with XDM in the past is when I uninstall the program, it changes the system proxy, and I'll be unable to access internet unless I manually change the proxies. I'm not sure if it's been corrected in the later versions.
Yes, its been corrected in the latest version.
Now when you uninstall XDM, it asks "Do you want to restore the network settings "

Actually I have mentioned everything to the developer that I found during tests/try & he is improving every version he is releasing.
But the IE prob, he couldn't reproduce on his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.