Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
  • Hibit Uninstaller is better than Revo and free.
  • Hibit Startup manager can Deactivate / Activate Startups, Delay , and change scheduled tasks
  • SuperF4 instantly kills foreground programs that won't get closed with alt +f4 because alt f4 asks programs to close superf4 doesn't ask.
  • Simplewall ,have better and more fine control about programs having access to the internet allow / deny approach also.
  • Parsec Super easy remote tool can be also used to game together "locally"
  • Compact GUI 3 Shrink any files on win10 and win 11 Transparent without quality loss and in most times faster loading(Only shrink Programs DONT SHRINK WINDOWS PARTS!)
  • Alternative to Compact Gui 3 with better GUI till compact GUI 3 is further developed
  • Wiztree see what's taking space on your PC
  • Jdownloader 2, Download nearly everything easy which is otherwise complicated also easily downloads youtube videos , converts them and playlists!
  • Nitroshare Super easy way to share files between 2 pc on the same network if windows again for some reason hates its network.
  • Wireguard Client to circumvent Buggy VPN clients.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I used it on my desktop for a bit, but it was very light and easy to use.
However, it may be better to check the terms of use and privacy policy before using it.

jamekakartela

Feb 1, 2023
Windows is a great operating system with a wide range of free software available for it. Here are some of the best free software options for Windows users:
Microsoft Office Online: Microsoft provides an online version of its popular Office suite for free, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It has all the features of the paid version and is perfect for basic document creation and editing.
Google Chrome: Google’s web browser is one of the most popular choices among Windows users. It offers a fast, secure browsing experience with support for all major web technologies and platforms.
VLC Media Player: VLC is an open-source media player that can play virtually any type of audio or video file format like. It’s lightweight and reliable, making it a great choice for playing multimedia files on your Windows PC.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Xtreme Download Manager - try the new, beta versions

Youtube-DL GUI Downloader - try this one if XDM can't get video streaming; also works for other platforms

Jdownloader - tryfor video channel and playlist downloads and for sites that the other two can't handle

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

HiBit Uninstaller

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
I'm using this. I like it because I can temporarily put the updated file in the trash instead of overwriting it.:)

I use this, paid a donation as I find it so useful

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I like VidCoder as a video converter, its UI seems much better than XMediaRecode. It is opensource and uses HandBrake as its encoding engine.

Main UI screenshot

Edit: Grammar, my usual nemesis.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I might need to create a new thread for this, it's been nearly 5 years since this thread started (list looks a bit outdated), and 10 years since the Best Free Softwares series started!

Probably need to use PasteBin or something for updating the list frequently, as there's time limit to editing initial posts.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I might need to create a new thread for this, it's been nearly 5 years since this thread started (list looks a bit outdated), and 10 years since the Best Free Softwares series started!

Probably need to use PasteBin or something for updating the list frequently, as there's time limit to editing initial posts.

Yes, maybe start a new thread something that says, updated, 2024 and includes a link to this thread?
Windows still has a couple of nice free features, including the ability to check my WD Backup drive integrity this morning, as well as Speccy confirming the results.

no errors.jpg speccy.jpg

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I did request @Jack a couple of times, and was able to edit the initial post for 2 years. However, when it got locked a couple of times, it became too much trouble to request frequently :D
Yeah, seems like a hassle if it requires permission every few months. On the other hand, permission to edit post for 2 years sounds reasonable.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.