Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Distributing adware to computer users is a lucrative business. It is that lucrative that software companies as well as download portals have started to integrate services such as Open Candy into their installers to earn extra money.
When Cnet's Download.com started to offer custom download managers with adware offers, it was heavily criticized for it by part of the Internet community.

It did only make the download manager available first but added a direct download link to software profile pages on its site later on.

I have just received word that FileHippo, a website recommended by quite a few users as one of the remaining "clean" websites, has added a custom download manager to its site which -- who would have guessed that -- includes adware offers as well.

It is either a test or a roll out of the feature to users. I could not replicate this yet on the site as all downloads offered on FileHippoe were served directly and without download manager.

If the download manager is enabled for you, you see "download manager enabled" listed in the green download box. There is a "direct download" link option underneath as well.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I'm getting clean downloads from filehippo & I don't see any custom download manager.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I download most of my softwares from softpedia.com. Very rarely I DL from Filehippo

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
gHacks Image of Teamviewer Download
filehippo-download-manager.jpg

My View

JihEEdS.png

I don't get it I'm not seeing this download manager.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
gHacks Image of Teamviewer Download
filehippo-download-manager.jpg

My View

JihEEdS.png

I don't get it I'm not seeing this download manager.

I have checked several files hosted on FileHippo and I don't see this download manager either.
Nothing posted on their site either, I wonder how ghacks got these images? and where did they get the source for this article?

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: marg and Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I have checked several files hosted on FileHippo and I don't see this download manager either.
Nothing posted on their site either, I wonder how ghacks got these images? and where did they get the source for this article?

I suppose this is where photoshop comes in, and as for the source of the article they probably just made it up.

Reactions: Littlebits

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
he must be getting redirections

Firefox
2vbsjmq.jpg

SRWare Iron
a452qv.jpg

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have Googled this "FileHippo Download Manager" and found nothing, more than likely it is just a fake scam trying to make the download site to appear bad or users that did get this download manager got it from a fake FileHippo site not the official.

Reactions: WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
looks like a scam. just check and compare the version numbers

Another thing, as long as I can remember, Filehippo's list of previous versions are on a column at the right hand side

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I contacted FileHippo about this issue and they got me a link- http://www.filehippo.com/filehippo_download_manager
So far it is only being experimented in certain regions that is why most of us can not see the FileHippo Download Manager.

Do I have to use the installer?
No. All FileHippo Installer Enabled products have a Direct Download Link that you can use instead of the Installer.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
good thing you've cleared it out

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@xxtoss23 That's a bit extreme? Direct downloads are still available, if you missed that.. Same with CNET Download.com, some programs have Direct download links. How often does one need to visit these sites, once they've downloaded one version? Another point, a lot more software now have their own built-in updater allowing for direct updates without third-party sites.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i never used filehippo since it lacked many many softwares in their DB but after this i wont even open their website, the same thing i did with download.com(cnet) couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.