App Review Bitdefender TrafficLight Test (MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
only 1 detection !!! not that good as i expected.
Avast also has avast online security browser add-on, can you review it???
Forticlient/Kaspersky webshield is better i think, can you also review it also? only webshield?? thanx for review....

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
I am joining to the request to review avast add on. but, I think that all of the anti-viruses add-on is more designed to protect you from sites who leads to exploit, or they are trace your activity. I don't think that they are designed to protect from malicious file. this is the work of the anti-virus.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks for taking time to test.
Still highly rate Blue Coat's K9 for protection.
Maybe you can test this sometime, think you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

It has been a while since I heard K-9 mentioned. Sure I will make a test of it.

only 1 detection !!! not that good as i expected.
Avast also has avast online security browser add-on, can you review it???
Forticlient/Kaspersky webshield is better i think, can you also review it also? only webshield?? thanx for review....

Wow, Avast has really done an overhaul of their browser extension since the last time I saw it. I think a review is in order. :)

However, since Forticilent and Kaspersky's web-protection is not a stand-alone product, I will have to pass on that (I am sure it is possible to make a test like you describe but it seems very unlikely anyone would pay for either product and only use the web-filtering feature). But rest assured that I will be testing the next major release of both products (with the web-shields enabled). :)

I am joining to the request to review avast add on. but, I think that all of the anti-viruses add-on is more designed to protect you from sites who leads to exploit, or they are trace your activity. I don't think that they are designed to protect from malicious file. this is the work of the anti-virus.

Yes..and no. I hit on this point during my test. Most (if not all) web filters will perform in a similar fashion as TrafficLight did here. The effectiveness in a web filter comes from months and months of having a malicious site on the web (which is uncommon since most zero-day malware-distributing sites pop-up one day and are gone the next). It is impossible for a web-filter to perform excellent during a test like this. However, I made this test to: 1) Look at the features of TrafficLight, 2) To show that web-filters are not as effective as they may claim to be, 3) to let people who use TrafficLight to draw their own conclusions about this add-on. I completely agree with you that add-on's like this are better at stopping tracking cookies than stopping zero-day malware sites.

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
thank you for your answer to my comment. now when I know your target in this review (to let people who use TrafficLight to draw their own conclusions about this add-on) I appreciate you and your review. people thinks that there web-filter add-on can save their computer from getting infected in malwares and thanks to you people will know not to trust only on their web-filter. good review!

I

illumination

Nice review. I had tried this extension, but did not put much faith into it, glad i listened to myself.. Also another reason to fully appreciate the sandbox!

Reactions: Malware1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.