Advice Request Bitwarden - Newbie needs help

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Newbie here. First timer using a PM.

Just installed BW on my laptop and the extension too in Ungoogled Chromium. Seems to be working fine. Definitely better and compatible than the just installed Sticky Password Manager which I have stopped using

Some questions.

Firstly, how to avoid signing in using master password each time I close (X) BW or if I shut down and restart my laptop? Similarly, if I shut down the phone and restart again or if I soft reset the phone. Shutting down the browser needs to key in the master password when I restart the browser. How to remember the long master password?

The 2nd thing is I'm kind of disappointed with the autofilling. I thought if I go to MWT here, BW should automatically detect and autofill my particulars. But it's not doing so. It displays MWT and I need to click it then it'll autofill. BW displays the same web Outlook site with 2 different accounts and allows me to select the one I want to autofill which is correct. I remember some other PM can auto-detect the website when you are there, and it'll automatically fill in the details for logging in. No more additional clicking required.

Any answers? Thanks

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Not sure about the master password, you probably need to set 2 factor authentication to cover that spot

1674646630605.png

Autofilling is working normally for me

1674646480209.png

there are coming passwordless login + passkeys in this year

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The 2nd thing is I'm kind of disappointed with the autofilling. I thought if I go to MWT here, BW should automatically detect and autofill my particulars. But it's not doing so. It displays MWT and I need to click it then it'll autofill.
Autofilling is working normally for me
I am not a BW user/customer, but would think the autofill feature needs to be officially supported by the browser and is Ungoogled Chromium one of those? :unsure:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
The 2nd thing is I'm kind of disappointed with the autofilling. I thought if I go to MWT here, BW should automatically detect and autofill my particulars. But it's not doing so. It displays MWT and I need to click it then it'll autofill. BW displays the same web Outlook site with 2 different accounts and allows me to select the one I want to autofill which is correct. I remember some other PM can auto-detect the website when you are there, and it'll automatically fill in the details for logging in. No more additional clicking required.
Bitwarden does not automatically fill logins unless it is enabled in the settings. I commented on another post that you can check here I even replied to @Digmor Crusher's comment about this by sending this capture from Bitwarden
1674647159502.png

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I am not a BW user/customer, but would think the autofill feature needs to be officially supported by the browser and is Ungoogled Chromium one of those? :unsure:
Makes sense, but when it asks for login name only it wont fill it automatically. But if it asks both login name + password it will work correctly. If there are multiple accounts available for one site, it wont fill as @HarborFront already stated

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Newbie here. First timer using a PM.

Just installed BW on my laptop and the extension too in Ungoogled Chromium. Seems to be working fine. Definitely better and compatible than the just installed Sticky Password Manager which I have stopped using

Some questions.

Firstly, how to avoid signing in using master password each time I close (X) BW or if I shut down and restart my laptop? Similarly, if I shut down the phone and restart again or if I soft reset the phone. Shutting down the browser needs to key in the master password when I restart the browser. How to remember the long master password?

Any answers? Thanks
In the Settings menu, you can enable Unlock with Pin/Unlock with Biometrics and uncheck for Master password so that you won't have to input Master Password each time..

Similarly, in Tools menu, you can modify Autofill features.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
In the Settings menu, you can enable Unlock with Pin/Unlock with Biometrics and uncheck for Master password so that you won't have to input Master Password each time..
That's the way to do it!
In the settings, I tried a vault timeout without success.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Similarly, in Tools menu, you can modify Autofill features.

Cannot find in Tools menu

1674650688816.png

Bitwarden does not automatically fill logins unless it is enabled in the settings. I commented on another post that you can check here I even replied to @Digmor Crusher's comment about this by sending this capture from Bitwarden
I deleted MWT login and created a new one still I can't find it. I'm using v2023.1.1

Thanks

Reactions: zkSnark

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Makes sense, but when it asks for login name only it wont fill it automatically. But if it asks both login name + password it will work correctly. If there are multiple accounts available for one site, it wont fill as @HarborFront already stated

Rightly speaking, when you open the site for log in BW should auto-detect the site and autofills without extra clicking.

And yes, with multiple accounts for one site the user must select which account to autofill. This part BW has done it right

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

The issue is I can't find BW's supported list of browsers, unlike Sticky PM which has a list of supported browsers in it.

Reactions: upnorth

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The issue is I can't find BW's supported list of browsers, unlike Sticky PM which has a list of supported browsers in it.
Browser extensions are supported for the two most recent versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Safari. For Vivaldi, Brave, and Tor, only the most recent version is supported.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, yes, yes

Finally, I choose PIN in place of master password. So easy to remember and use. Solved my problem.

BTW, is a PIN easier to crack than a master password say the person has your phone/laptop?

Thanks everybody for today I learn how to use a PM with everybody's help here. Upgraded to using 2FA. Hardware security key will come later

(y)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Anyway, I'm happy it can work in Ungoogled Chromium and LibreWolf browsers. Also, Mull browser for android is also supported which I have posted here

One thing. The FF browser for android and its forks do have trackers even for Mull browser

1674653978089.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125_213708_com.oF2pks.classyshark3xodus.jpg
    Screenshot_20230125_213708_com.oF2pks.classyshark3xodus.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: Stopspying

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's in browser extension as shown in screenshot below. I haven't enabled it yet, so not sure if it autofills or not, you will have to test the feature.

View attachment 272410

OK found and set it. Very hard to detect and autofill. Hope this can become a real feature instead of experimental

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Finally, I choose PIN in place of master password. So easy to remember and use. Solved my problem.

BTW, is a PIN easier to crack than a master password say the person has your phone/laptop?

Thanks everybody for today I learn how to use a PM with everybody's help here. Upgraded to using 2FA. Hardware security key will come later

(y)
Instead of using a password made up of a long string of unmemorable alpha-numeric charecters try using a passphrase such as "MalwareTipsisFullofGeeks", how could you forget that?!!

Opinions can vary on the comparative ease of cracking PINs and passwords, the old adage was that the longer it is the better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.