Bo's Windows 7 laptop

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
For real-time protection I would recommend avast, panda cloud, or AVG.
On-Demand scanners I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
SBIE veterans are most respected. :)

Very solid set-up with SBIE.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Love the setup :) Use Lastpass, Ghostery and WOT at all?

D

Deleted member 178

Bo, do you do online banking or online shopping? if yes, did you create a specific sandbox that allow only your browser to run and access internet?

Sandboxie is a great tool but how you deal with potential keyloggers since SB don't detect or block the connection if you are infected by one?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Also I kinda figured that you won't need any backup options with Sandboxie?

D

Deleted member 178

bo.elam said:
Hi Umbra, I prefer to do banking in person or over the phone. Very rarely I use a computer for banking or purchases. When I buy something over the internet, I use the phone. It becomes more expensive but is safer.

effectively , it makes sense ;)

As you know, Sandboxie is not an anti keylogger but there are certain things that users can do to protect personal and business files. I do use the tools that SBIE give us for that. So, my personal and business files are blocked to be accessed by anything running in any of my sandboxes.

i suppose "drop my right" option and the access restriction tab.

We have to be careful about addons when using SBIE, IT IS one of the ways that we can get hurt.

very true, i also limit the number of addons i use

By the way, using a fresh browsing session on a restricted sandbox where only the browser can run and connect is a good idea. If you use a browser, like Firefox with no addons, so much better. So, opening Firefox in safe mode in a restricted sandbox is a good way to do banking. After finishing the session, close the browser.

it is the way i used SB for banking and i set up my browser to be a "leader program", so when i close it anything run ning in the sandbox are closed. Since i have OAP i don't need it anymore.

Thanks for your input.

D

Deleted member 178

bo.elam said:
To block files from being accessed by programs running in a sandbox you need to apply "File Access > Blocked Access". Please, look at the link. The Start/Run restriction also helps. Remember, if a malicious program comes into the sandbox and its not allowed to run, it wont run. Game is over for the KL. On top of that, we can add the access restriction and Drop Rights but they are really not necessary.

Effectively, thanks Bo.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.